Buying homes sight unseen

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Buying homes sight unseen

From reading another thread, I was just wondering how many of you have bought your homes sight unseen? We did, but it is just a little seasonal place in Silver Lake. Saw it online, made an offer and the rest is history.

It all turned out very well for us, but now that we are looking for a another home and have gone to so many open houses, only to be disappointed.....I'm wondering how people make such a big investment without seeing the home first??
Old 07-12-2014, 09:42 AM

We did, though we knew the model after visiting twice but nothing about the neighborhood. Our realtor took additional photos and videos which definitely helped in making a cautious decision. Even though it is a seasonal home we did have those "what did we do moments". There were no real surprises when we first saw it in person and are glad we made the move.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Platinum member

We bought our CYV sight unseen. It was new and only could tell about the corner lot(which is what mostly sold us) and a model layout. After it was completed, friends in Gilchrist took pix of it for us. No second thoughts here. Absolutely what we wanted.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:03 AM

We also bought sight unseen, close on Monday. We also bought new and had been down a few times so we knew the model. I also have a daughter not far away and she took 60 pictures for us. My realtor also took some but she did a much better job. We will be down to see it next Wednesday.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj1210 View Post
We also bought sight unseen, close on Monday. We also bought new and had been down a few times so we knew the model. I also have a daughter not far away and she took 60 pictures for us. My realtor also took some but she did a much better job. We will be down to see it next Wednesday.
Congratulations CMJ. :
Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran member
Talking

We bought sight unseen as well. However, we'd made several trips down, knew the models from hours of studying the floor plans, and knew the villages from hours of studying the street map. When Colleen, our agent, called to let us know the model we liked in the village we liked with a pool we wanted was just getting ready to go on the market, we pounced. Like a Florida panther.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 07-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

We've purchased once in the Outer Banks and another time in The Villages (3/14) without seeing the property before hand. For us, we had an amazing Realtor in the Outer Banks that walked through the house as we spoke on the phone. It was a pre-owned property that we saw pictures prior to her walk through. In The Villages, it was new construction and the sales person took pictures that told us exactly what we were buying. She also walked through as we were on the phone and her information was vital to our making a decision.

In both cases, we had someone we felt comfortable with giving us the facts of the property. Both, were in the business of selling real estate. With new construction it is under warranty, but with pre-owned, you have to have total confidence in the person giving you the information. This is our comfort zone. We also buy at auction and foreclosures and our comfort zone may be greater than someone else. This is simply our opinion and is an individual choice.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Location: Caroline, Norwalk OH, Federal Way, WA. Stamford, CT. Tuscarora, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandatime View Post
We bought sight unseen as well. However, we'd made several trips down, knew the models from hours of studying the floor plans, and knew the villages from hours of studying the street map. When Colleen, our agent, called to let us know the model we liked in the village we liked with a pool we wanted was just getting ready to go on the market, we pounced. Like a Florida panther.
Ditto. There are panthers in Florida?

It's our second house. Will be moving from our villa in Caroline (anyone interested?) Haven't seen it yet, but knowing the floor plan and neighborhoods and having seen pictures there's no angst - we know exactly what we bought.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Carpe Diem;906309]Ditto. There are panthers in Florida?

There are black cats of some sort in Florida; I was making a silly reference to another thread. Back to houses.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
From reading another thread, I was just wondering how many of you have bought your homes sight unseen?
We bought our first Villages home in 2007, a resale, sight unseen.
We knew we wanted a courtyard villa with a golf course view south of CR 466.
So when we saw one on the internet on MLS, we decided to grab it.
It's the best decision we ever made.
We loved our CYV for a few years, until we decided we needed a larger house and more garage space for a workshop.
We bought another resale, but we stayed in the same Village, because we ended up loving the location.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate View Post
We did, though we knew the model after visiting twice but nothing about the neighborhood. Our realtor took additional photos and videos which definitely helped in making a cautious decision. Even though it is a seasonal home we did have those "what did we do moments". There were no real surprises when we first saw it in person and are glad we made the move.
I did the same, although I had seen most of the models, I hadn't seen mine and new nothing of the neighborhood. Got tenants right now, but will move in in January, I visited last December and my tenants let me come see it. I love it and can't wait to live in it. It's a Zinnia style.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:35 PM

We did. We bought courtyard villa in Hillsborough and had no regrets realter sent us pictures. We didn't want to miss out because the whole courtyard villa section sold out in 2 months this year.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Email Reported As Spam

From a macro view the set up of homes in TV is essentially the same, as are the floor plans. From a micro view the differences range from subtle to severe and because of this folks would be better to see for themselves. Additionally before settling its best to make one last sweep of the area to see if somehow you missed something.

since this is a person's most important purchase the old saw "buy in haste repent in leisure takes real significance
Old 07-12-2014, 03:21 PM

We bought a new home in Lake Deaton. See my post "arrived and departed". We love the house and I know we will love the neighborhood when we are there full-time. We also knew the different models and TV pretty well, and we had the map at home. We also did FaceTime inside and out with our realtor which is a pretty dandy thing to do. No regrets.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

We purchased our first home, neighborhood villa, after being on a waiting list in March, 2006 over the phone. It was in the Village of Caroline and new.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.