A/C repair scam

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2017, 04:28 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I only know one installer in TV: Munn's. Not sure if that is who the op is referring to but it makes sense, as they activity push the service contract.
In our area of construction Munn was not the original HVAC installer. Honestly I am not sure that Munn was ever an original installer?

I know there are some large HVAC companies here who will place you at the end of their list if you do not have a contract with them.

This is the first community in all the areas that I lived where they pushed for contracts. Frankly in all the years previous I only had the need of an HVAC repair once.

Some HVAC companies push for ultra violet lights to control mold/mildew, contracts, etc. is this also a scam???????

I wish the OP had included the name of the HVAC company that he believed was too expensive.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:21 AM
Sage

Munns was the original installer for our home. At that time, I believe there was a second original installer for the new construction. Munns has never pushed, or even mentioned, a service contract. The system comes with a 10 year parts/5 year labor warranty and they do require an annual checkup to maintain the warranty (actually a Carrier requirement, I believe).

The service techs appear to be competent during the annual visits and they do check what I would expect (high and low pressures, super heat, sub cool, amperages, leaving and return temps, etc., and they flush the condensate drain). Two warranty issues were handled quickly and without any drama. Based on my experiences, this is a good company to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
In our area of construction Munn was not the original HVAC installer. Honestly I am not sure that Munn was ever an original installer?

I know there are some large HVAC companies here who will place you at the end of their list if you do not have a contract with them.

This is the first community in all the areas that I lived where they pushed for contracts. Frankly in all the years previous I only had the need of an HVAC repair once.

Some HVAC companies push for ultra violet lights to control mold/mildew, contracts, etc. is this also a scam???????

I wish the OP had included the name of the HVAC company that he believed was too expensive.

Last edited by biker1; 07-02-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:16 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

I'll just comment on a couple of things here....

1) The original poster has not shared the name of the first company he had come to their home. We should not assume it was any one company.

2) The Villages currently uses three A/C companies. Munn's, SunKool, and Sunshine.

May everyone have a blessed holiday....

Frank
Old 07-02-2017, 06:22 AM
Sage

Not all parts are covered by the 10 year warranty--there is a control board that normally croaks in approx 6 years-two of my neighbors hand to parclose to $500.00 to replace them
Old 07-02-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Not all parts are covered by the 10 year warranty--there is a control board that normally croaks in approx 6 years-two of my neighbors hand to parclose to $500.00 to replace them
Sun Kool informed us that our evaporator coil, which has a leak, was also not covered under our 10-year extended year warranty. Makes we wonder if something else had broken, if that would have been covered??? We've moved on to Chuck Farrell A/C and are very happy with them.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
...The most common AC condenser unit problem(within 6 years old) is the capacitor. Labor and material cost, $200.00
Once again thank u for this post to help others. I only responded after reading all the post insisting u tell them who the service tech worked for while he was only doing what his owner told him to
The OP already indicated Chuck Farrell was the right person for the job. Here's another example, we have a unit installed by Munn's in 2011 in a new home. On June 17, 2015 our unit quit cooling. I called Chuck because of the recommendations on this website. Chuck answered his phone, and I told him my a/c quit cooling. He pulled over to the side of the road and wrote down my info and said I'll have someone there this afternoon. I had never used Chuck before, he had one of his techs "Mike" at our home within two hours.

I'm looking at the Invoice, I kept it so I wouldn't forget who to call. Mike wrote, "Replaced Blown Capacitor, Part Covered by Warranty for 10 years", Total cost $80 for labor. He didn't just run in and back out. He checked the freon on the outside unit and removed the cover off the inside unit and brushed off the coils and checked the filter. Chuck had earned my business from then on.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Sage

Chuck Farrell is Da Man when it comes to AC, for sure
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Sage

It may have been covered under the Munns parts and labor warranty, for no cost. You will have needed to check your paperwork you received when you settled on the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The OP already indicated Chuck Farrell was the right person for the job. Here's another example, we have a unit installed by Munn's in 2011 in a new home. On June 17, 2015 our unit quit cooling. I called Chuck because of the recommendations on this website. Chuck answered his phone, and I told him my a/c quit cooling. He pulled over to the side of the road and wrote down my info and said I'll have someone there this afternoon. I had never used Chuck before, he had one of his techs "Mike" at our home within two hours.

I'm looking at the Invoice, I kept it so I wouldn't forget who to call. Mike wrote, "Replaced Blown Capacitor, Part Covered by Warranty for 10 years", Total cost $80 for labor. He didn't just run in and back out. He checked the freon on the outside unit and removed the cover off the inside unit and brushed off the coils and checked the filter. Chuck had earned my business from then on.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Sage

I have had the Carrier warranty in a past home and all parts, and labor, were covered, including refrigerant. This included the evaporator coil, all system boards, the UI, compressor, etc. You need to read your warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Old 07-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Sage

You need to read your warranty and contact Carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein9747 View Post
Sun Kool informed us that our evaporator coil, which has a leak, was also not covered under our 10-year extended year warranty. Makes we wonder if something else had broken, if that would have been covered??? We've moved on to Chuck Farrell A/C and are very happy with them.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

let me get this straight you purchased the Carrier unit from Munn . You called Farrell for a repair and Farrell honored the warranty on the part.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:55 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
I'll just comment on a couple of things here....

1) The original poster has not shared the name of the first company he had come to their home. We should not assume it was any one company.

2) The Villages currently uses three A/C companies. Munn's, SunKool, and Sunshine.

May everyone have a blessed holiday....

Frank
Thanks for the information. Sunshine was my sub-contractor for my A/C in my 2 years old TV home. Munn's was in my previous home here in TV. So OP's A/C was installed by one of these three companies.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Default Hvac

Another local guy to call is
DP Mechanical, he's been in business for 33 years and built his company off of referrals 352-603-9321. You can also call to ask him questions on pricing, to make sure your not being over charged. Just want to let you all know Large hvac companies technicians mostly work on piece work.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

If you had BROWARD FACTORY SERVICE, there would be "NO" charge. They have replaced my capacitor twice, and the outside fan in the unit once.
Sunshine a/c wanted $340 to replace the fan, BFS had one on the truck, did the job, no charge.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
let me get this straight you purchased the Carrier unit from Munn . You called Farrell for a repair and Farrell honored the warranty on the part.
Quote:
If you had BROWARD FACTORY SERVICE, there would be "NO" charge. They have replaced my capacitor twice, and the outside fan in the unit once.
Sunshine a/c wanted $340 to replace the fan, BFS had one on the truck, did the job, no charge.
I didn't purchase the unit from Munn's, I purchased the home from TV new in 2011 and the A/C unit in the garage had the Munn's sticker. I called Chuck in 2015 for repair and without telling him anything about the home, they wrote on the invoice the part was covered by the warranty and only charged me for $80 labor and service call.
Closed Thread

Tags
a/c, technician, service, minutes, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.