Cabinet Replacement

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2022, 04:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Cabinet Replacement

We recently closed on our new build and just discovered the wrong cabinets we’re installed (MDF Material). How long does it usually take for new cabinets to be changed throughout the house once they are procured? Will backsplash and counters be removed or displaced? Will drywall issues occur?

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 06-27-2022, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Wow! The only person who can answer your question is the builder. I believe that all counters and backsplashes will need to be removed and re-installed. And, yes, drywall damage could be an issue. Also, plumbing, appliances, and mirrors in the bathrooms. But, the installation shouldn't take more than a few weeks. Are you sure that you cannot make a financial settlement with the builder and keep the cabinets?
Old 06-27-2022, 05:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Wow! The only person who can answer your question is the builder. I believe that all counters and backsplashes will need to be removed and re-installed. And, yes, drywall damage could be an issue. Also, plumbing, appliances, and mirrors in the bathrooms. But, the installation shouldn't take more than a few weeks. Are you sure that you cannot make a financial settlement with the builder and keep the cabinets?
Unfortunately I can’t. The all wood cabinets were one of the things we wouldn’t flex from when we talked of building. We still have many doors with stickers on the MDF cabinets because they are flawed from the initial build. We paid quite a chunk of change for the upgrade on our retirement home. It’s sad, but has to be done.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 06-27-2022, 05:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

It’s basically replacing a kitchen. Probably 10 to 12 weeks.
Plan to NOT have a kitchen (no stove, fridge, dishwasher).
Old 06-27-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
We recently closed on our new build and just discovered the wrong cabinets we’re installed (MDF Material). How long does it usually take for new cabinets to be changed throughout the house once they are procured? Will backsplash and counters be removed or displaced? Will drywall issues occur?
You closed the sale with this issue outstanding. What were you thinking?
Old 06-27-2022, 05:45 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJim View Post
You closed the sale with this issue outstanding. What were you thinking?
We discovered the cabinets were MDF quite by accident. A handle was placed on our pantry door and the particle board was exposed. Everything was painted, there was no way to initially know.

Last edited by Normal; 06-27-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Lots of work involved. Yes, all the countertop will need to be removed. If these are stone great care will need to be exercised to avoid damage during the removal and reinstallation. I tend to agree with the previous comment about getting a significant refund. If you still decide to go forward, make sure the potential damage to walls, counter tops, drywall, etc., is all covered, and i would ask for an extended warranty (beyond the normal 1 year) for all the replaced and reinstalled material.
While I completely understand the difference between solid wood and MDF, IMHO, you may need to balance that will all of the mess and inconvenience you are going to encounter with this change out. Personally, i would go for the full difference in cost of the cabinets, and maybe half of the estimated cost for the changeout.
In any case I wish you good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
It’s basically replacing a kitchen. Probably 10 to 12 weeks.
Plan to NOT have a kitchen (no stove, fridge, dishwasher).
We were without our stove, and dishwasher for about a week when we had our kitchen renovation done (cabinets, counter top and backsplash). Our fridge was always plugged in and remained in the adjacent breakfast room while the kitchen renovation was done. Everything was strategically choreographed so there was no down time. I had sub contractors in my home every day until the job was done.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
We were without our stove, and dishwasher for about a week when we had our kitchen renovation done (cabinets, counter top and backsplash). Our fridge was always plugged in and remained in the adjacent breakfast room while the kitchen renovation was done. Everything was strategically choreographed so there was no down time. I had sub contractors in my home every day until the job was done.
That’s encouraging, I can deal with that. We can eat out etc. After further investigation I noticed the faces, doors and even the cabinets themselves were not solid wood. So the whole deal will need to be done. I do see where they can remove the drywall etc and do a clean job. I would rather have it done right than half donkey -ed.

Old 06-28-2022, 04:23 AM

If you couldn’t tell until the handle was replaced they must look and feel like solid wood. Why not keep them since you couldn’t tell the difference!
Old 06-28-2022, 05:33 AM
Default Free advice is worth what you paid for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Why are you asking us? The builder and perhaps a real estate lawyer is who you should be asking.

If you are talking about The Villages developers, they should also be able to put you up in a lifestyle villa home if you will be without a kitchen for any length of time.

Unlikely, they will be able to save your granite. But that’s not your concern, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that needs to be replaced to restore your kitchen and bathrooms and laundry room after the cabinets are replaced, is on the Developer.

Ask the Developers, if you don’t like their answers, contact a real estate lawyer or mediator to make sure all is done to your satisfaction.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:55 AM

Your initial question regarding time to replace…they are just boxes screwed into a wall. If replacements are measured properly for fit, it is an easy job. A professional remodeling company would have the job done in a week.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:03 AM
Default Cabinet Change

Hope if you found this mistake before closing that you held money in escrow at closing so the builder and the villages will do what you contracted for at closing.
As far as the cabinet change. This should not take more than 3 to 5 days. Have them start on a Monday when the electrician and plumber will remove any appliances, and countertops into the garage.
Your builder will schedule one trade that will follow another on the same day if time permits or first thing on the next day. Should be a smooth replacement. Only you will be inconvenienced. Hope you will be amazed at the process as we were two times.
Can't cook, wow ask for restaurant vouchers to help during the inconvenience. If you don't ask you won't get it.
I never had any problem with 2 different builders doing what was required to correct larger issues that each took about 3 days.
Builders are required to correct any problems both minor or major.
Wish you well.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

One intangible thing that you should consider is that, when you ask workers to remove and replace work that they have performed, especially when it was not their fault, the quality of the workmanship will probably be affected. And, the builder will most likely not send their best workers to perform the rework.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:11 AM

We closed on our house in November and found a few cabinets that were cracked or had drawer issues. The cabinet company ordered replacement cabinets at the end of November and they still are not in yet. Hopefully you will get your replacements sooner than us!
Closed Thread

Tags
cabinets, changed, house, cabinet, procured

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.