Cabinet Replacement

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2022, 06:43 AM

Consider getting your VLS Sales representative and with your construction manager involved. The Villages prioritizes their reputation and their goal is to make things easy for residences. I’m sure they will do everything they can to deliver what you paid for. Timing is strictly up to supply chain issues.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Yikes, I would be furious. That said, upper cabinets are just boxes screwed to the wall. Remove trim, unscrew the box and replace it with one the same size. Bottoms a bit more complicated because of counters and appliances. You can live there while it's being done, the fridge will be plugged in, a microwave and you are good to go. Think of it as one of the vicissitudes of life. In the end you will have the house of your dreams.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:10 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Unfortunately I can’t. The all wood cabinets were one of the things we wouldn’t flex from when we talked of building. We still have many doors with stickers on the MDF cabinets because they are flawed from the initial build. We paid quite a chunk of change for the upgrade on our retirement home. It’s sad, but has to be done.
MDF cabinets are the cheapest cabinets to buy. Looks like as usual they will try to get away with it. Made your lawyer have the builder pay for his mistake or give you much better cabinet or give you your money back that you paid for your new home.
The builder is hoping that you except the cabinets for a settlement of a very small amount of money no way near what the good cabinets coat.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:14 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

When the sin is sweet repentance is not so bitter
Old 06-28-2022, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
MDF cabinets are the cheapest cabinets to buy. Looks like as usual they will try to get away with it. Made your lawyer have the builder pay for his mistake or give you much better cabinet or give you your money back that you paid for your new home.
The builder is hoping that you except the cabinets for a settlement of a very small amount of money no way near what the good cabinets coat.
We are in the process of remodeling a kitchen based on the 16 week or longer wait for new cabinets we decided againist them. We are going to have our cabinets repainted and that will work for us. After all at this age 70 plus the cabinets will outlive us and the next owners can replace them if they care to. In the meantime I’d push for reimbursement for the price differences………yes have a lawyer not connected with TV handle it.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Stick to your guns, and get what you paid for. This is the builder's screwup, and he is going to have to make it right. Document everything, and take photos. Don't let them start the project until you are satisfied that all needed components/materials are on hand and ready to go. The entire project should not take more than a week to ten days to complete. Don't sign off until you are 100% satisfied. Be sure to post an update here to let everyone know how it went.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:57 AM

Well, I had exactly the same thing happen. It took about 2.5 months to get the correct cabinets. When the cabinet company came they sent several good folks to do the work. They did all the bathrooms and the upper cabinets in the kitchen in one day. The lower kitchen cabinets required coordination with the plumber and electrician. The lowers were completed the next day. The following the touch up folks came in and when they were finished, you would never know anything was done. Overall it was not a bad experience. Be sure to go over with the warranty department what is supposed to be done. There is a difference between wood cabinets and total wood. Wood cabinets are wood cabinets and composite drawers, total wood it exactly that total wood.
TV is a good group, they owned the mistake and fixed it.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:01 AM

We reported many many cabinet issues in August 2021 - only a few issues have been fixed. We are still waiting for most of the work to be done.

So you will probably be waiting an extremely long time. Are they Wellborn cabinets? Who installed them Timberwood? Timberwood rep has been in our house four times and the Wellborn rep three times.

The Villages warranty department is slammed with cabinet issues. Poor installation of subpar cabinets is an equation which equals a big negative value.

So sorry for your pain! Good luck!
Old 06-28-2022, 08:09 AM

For painted cabinets MDF is actually preferred over wood. They take the paint better and are more resistant to humidity. Research it online. Just something to consider. They do cost less so you still need compensation.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:16 AM
Default Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Lots of work involved. Yes, all the countertop will need to be removed. If these are stone great care will need to be exercised to avoid damage during the removal and reinstallation. I tend to agree with the previous comment about getting a significant refund. If you still decide to go forward, make sure the potential damage to walls, counter tops, drywall, etc., is all covered, and i would ask for an extended warranty (beyond the normal 1 year) for all the replaced and reinstalled material.
While I completely understand the difference between solid wood and MDF, IMHO, you may need to balance that will all of the mess and inconvenience you are going to encounter with this change out. Personally, i would go for the full difference in cost of the cabinets, and maybe half of the estimated cost for the changeout.
In any case I wish you good luck with whatever you choose.
I would retain a good attorney with the retainer set up so the builder pays their fees. This will be a long bumpy road but worth it because your heart was set on a beautiful kitchen.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:16 AM
Default Financial Settlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Wow! The only person who can answer your question is the builder. I believe that all counters and backsplashes will need to be removed and re-installed. And, yes, drywall damage could be an issue. Also, plumbing, appliances, and mirrors in the bathrooms. But, the installation shouldn't take more than a few weeks. Are you sure that you cannot make a financial settlement with the builder and keep the cabinets?

Our designer refused to give us the cost of the cabinets so we have no idea how much we were charged for them.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
That’s encouraging, I can deal with that. We can eat out etc. After further investigation I noticed the faces, doors and even the cabinets themselves were not solid wood. So the whole deal will need to be done. I do see where they can remove the drywall etc and do a clean job. I would rather have it done right than half donkey -ed.

IMHO and based on my personal experience I would not want the villages warranty workers redoing my cabinets. Not only will you get subpar installation, they will destroy other items in your home. Our LVP flooring was damaged during a warranty repair and it has yet to be corrected after about six months.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:59 AM
Default Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushkie View Post
Why are you asking us? The builder and perhaps a real estate lawyer is who you should be asking.

If you are talking about The Villages developers, they should also be able to put you up in a lifestyle villa home if you will be without a kitchen for any length of time.

Unlikely, they will be able to save your granite. But that’s not your concern, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that needs to be replaced to restore your kitchen and bathrooms and laundry room after the cabinets are replaced, is on the Developer.

Ask the Developers, if you don’t like their answers, contact a real estate lawyer or mediator to make sure all is done to your satisfaction.
FYI - I consulted a good lawyer. $20,000 retainer and $600/hr. And go up against a powerful entity?
Old 06-28-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny2403 View Post
Your initial question regarding time to replace…they are just boxes screwed into a wall. If replacements are measured properly for fit, it is an easy job. A professional remodeling company would have the job done in a week.
Funny that is the opinion of the head of warranty. He thinks cabinets are just boxes to put your stuff in and cosmetic issues are irrelevant.

A professional remodeling company would take a week - can't say the same thing about villages warranty replacement.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:12 AM
Default Current warranty functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobar View Post
Hope if you found this mistake before closing that you held money in escrow at closing so the builder and the villages will do what you contracted for at closing.
As far as the cabinet change. This should not take more than 3 to 5 days. Have them start on a Monday when the electrician and plumber will remove any appliances, and countertops into the garage.
Your builder will schedule one trade that will follow another on the same day if time permits or first thing on the next day. Should be a smooth replacement. Only you will be inconvenienced. Hope you will be amazed at the process as we were two times.
Can't cook, wow ask for restaurant vouchers to help during the inconvenience. If you don't ask you won't get it.
I never had any problem with 2 different builders doing what was required to correct larger issues that each took about 3 days.
Builders are required to correct any problems both minor or major.
Wish you well.
With all due respect are you talking about 2021-2022? Because there are many of us who have not experienced the same.
Closed Thread

Tags
cabinets, changed, house, cabinet, procured

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.