Can coyotes jump walls?

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Sage
Default Can coyotes jump walls?

A friend with 5 dogs, each weighing about 1/3 of my cat's weight just emailed to ask me the question in the topic.
I have to post this for other courtyard pet owners, despite that I said in another thraed that I am taking a break from totv.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coyo...&client=safari
Old 09-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
A friend with 5 dogs, each weighing about 1/3 of my cat's weight just emailed to ask me the question in the topic.
I have to post this for other courtyard pet owners, despite that I said in another thraed that I am taking a break from totv.

Kitty, first of all, sorry to hear your taking a break from TOTV, I hope all is well with you.

To answer your question, when I lived in Los Angeles and all our homes were surrounded with walls similar to CYVs, we still had coyotes getting into back yards and attack small pets. They are extremely clever and resourceful and if there is a way to get up and over a wall, they will find it. For instance, there might be a tree or bush that they could use to get on top of the wall and once there, they could easily jump down. We never let our pets outside on our property when we weren't at home or during the night for fear that they could be prey for coyotes or other animals. As an example, a few months ago I put my doggies outside on my lanai about 6am, at the first light, and found a huge possum with babies on her back, sitting on the top of my villa wall. Had no idea how she got up there but after examining the circumstances, realized that she used a tree or bush to get up there. Imagine my surprise and fear when I saw this. Attaching a picture for ya'll to see.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	opossum.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	54682  

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Sage

A few years ago my nephew and his wife wanted to adopt a cat from the SPCA.

When they were filling out the paper work they were asked if the cat would be indoor only and they said they had a yard area with a 10 foot high masonry wall that they wanted to let the cat roam around. They were told that coyotes could get over 12 foot high walls and that if the cat couldn't be strictly indoor that they couldn't have it.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///
Old 09-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Eternal Member

Common sense, please!

In the 6 years I have been here, I have heard ONE report of a dog being taken by a coyote. It was after midnight and off the leash. Sad, yes.

Never have I heard of a factual report of a dog or cat being taken from a lanai or courtyard by a wild animal.

Your pets are safe on lanais. A cat may jump over a courtyard wall. Keep cats indoors. Stay with your dog while it is in your courtyard.

Why be scared of a possum with babies sitting on the wall? Leave it alone just like you should leave any wild animal alone.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/h_f/urban_coyote_faq.pdf

This is good. It is from the Arizona Game and Fish Department. It does describe how to make walls coyote proof.

I am working on getting the factual report of the cat taken off of the lanai in Lynnhaven on Livingston Loop. It may take some time. There was another one in Buttonwood that I seriously doubt someone is making up. Her friend/neighbor did post on here and I believe her.

A mother opossum will protect its young. That is the only critter our dogs have had encounters with here in Lynnhaven. Nothing happened but I had to pick up Sport as he was face-to-face with a mother opossum and barking up a storm. Sport was off leash as he usually stayed in the yard at night. Beau, our newer dog is a real chaser of anything. If he saw a coyote in our yard he would chase it and unfortunately that would not end well for him.

Coyotes like cat sized pets from research I have done. I doubt if a single one would take on a standard poodle, German Shepherd, or some other bigger dog. A group of them might.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post

You may be taking a break from TOTV, but I see you are now taking your agenda to The Villages Facebook page.

It is true that we all need to take precautions with our pets, but Cmon Kitty, you are scaring folks that have not moved here yet. As far as anyone knows.....no Coyote has jumped over any wall here and taken any pets.

This is bordering on obsession, paranoia, and is getting ridiculous!
Old 09-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Sage
Default Try googling coyote video fence dog cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Common sense, please!

In the 6 years I have been here, I have heard ONE report of a dog being taken by a coyote. It was after midnight and off the leash. Sad, yes.

Never have I heard of a factual report of a dog or cat being taken from a lanai or courtyard by a wild animal.

Your pets are safe on lanais. A cat may jump over a courtyard wall. Keep cats indoors. Stay with your dog while it is in your courtyard.

Why be scared of a possum with babies sitting on the wall? Leave it alone just like you should leave any wild animal alone.
Graphic warning. Stop here if you want to.

Coyote kills cat inside 6' or so fence. Scales fence with it dangling from his mouth.
Coyote Vs Cat - YouTube
Old 09-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
You may be taking a break from TOTV, but I see you are now taking your agenda to The Villages Facebook page.

It is true that we all need to take precautions with our pets, but Cmon Kitty, you are scaring folks that have not moved here yet. As far as anyone knows.....no Coyote has jumped over any wall here and taken any pets.

After Small Dog Is Carried off by a Coyote, The Neighbor

A little humor.

Coyotes could be a problem in the newer developments south of CR466A especially since established coyotes were pushed out of their hunting grounds. I applaud Kitty for trying to educate people about this potential problem.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Common sense, please!

..... Why be scared of a possum with babies sitting on the wall? Leave it alone just like you should leave any wild animal alone.
This is EXACTLY why I do not post much on TOTV any longer, smart azzes who take things out of context....

I didn't say I touched it, or would do anything to it. Just answering the OP's question??? Scared?? You would be too if you saw this 50lb thing 6 feet away, although I was screened in and my dogs were barking at it. What about rabies, ticks, fleas, biting to protect her babies... How did I know if she would fall off the wall into my backyard..... all those things run through your mind as something is unfolding. Yadda, yadda, yadda....

Have a nice day.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post

Graphic warning. Stop here if you want to.

Nothing personal...your opinion of my mental status is noted. This moment 220 more people know coyotes easily jump walls, kill and jump back over before eating.

Tag, 20 lb dog, inside 4 foot fence, remains found 100' outside fence.
Owners warn dog owners...
Coyote jumps fence, kills family dog in Golden

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 09-07-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:10 PM

Exactly the same reason why I haven't been on much. Seems like every time I do say anything, I either get blasted or removed.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I would think a Coyote would have to pole vault over a courtyard wall to get in.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
Exactly the same reason why I haven't been on much. Seems like every time I do say anything, I either get blasted or removed.
Tiresome. However, I am learning lots about how to keep myself and my pets safe. Some people object to my sharing that education, that, LOL, that might be how a coyote pack attacks.

Hey! Maybe I can learn about hostile TOTV posters watching coyote pack attacks!
Must be video of victims that escape getting eaten! (Lol, Tal, Email me about the rottweiler video..)

Amazing---no, utterly fascinating how the mind works, and what people will say to obstruct educational information.

Word is I am an obsessed, paranoid, ridiculous fear monger, scaring people who want to move here, causing panic, and whatever...

I was going to get off here and recharge...but I would rather take more name-calling than to allow courtyard dog owners to remain ignorant that coyotes jump walls.

If detractors are reading this and continue to imply that I am enjoying scaring people or have a mental problem, know that I am tired of being maligned.

Excali, thanks for risking to say what you did. That took courage.

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 09-07-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I would think a Coyote would have to pole vault over a courtyard wall to get in.
sigh...utterly fascinating.
Maybe SOME people will watch the videos.

I googled pole vaulting coyotes and there were no hits. Courtyard pets must be safe.

Wait! News flash! If you misspell Don as Dan and google Dan pole vault coyote...you sly dog, Don, you knew this already didn't you?

Wile E. Coyote's Pole Vault Challenge Online Game
Closed Thread

Tags
courtyard, pet, owners, post, totv, break, taking, coyotes, topic, 1/3, weighing, dogs, cats, question, jump, weight, emailed, walls, friend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.