Can I see next Thursday's Space X launch from The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2021, 10:18 AM
Default Can I see next Thursday's Space X launch from The Villages?

I have been told it is possible to watch a Cape Canaveral rocket launch from here in The Villages. Is the launch site too far away from The Villages to watch the rocket going up? If not, can one of you suggest a good place to park my butt and watch that rocket?
Old 04-16-2021, 10:59 AM

We watch them out our front window from Marsh Bend, if they launch towards the north. Just look East, hard to miss sight and sound on a quiet night
Old 04-16-2021, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have seen several launches from the area of Pinellas, I put on WESH 2 for a real time view of the launch and about 10 to 15 seconds after the actual launch you can see the contrail of the rocket (assuming no clouds). There are also websites for watching launches.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have seen several launches from the area of Pinellas, I put on WESH 2 for a real time view of the launch and about 10 to 15 seconds after the actual launch you can see the contrail of the rocket (assuming no clouds). There are also websites for watching launches.
We do the same thing, just look east. Night time is great because you can see the intense rocket flame, daytimes are a bit more muted but you can see the trail. Like Tinker says, if it's cloudy, you won't see much.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:18 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

It's scheduled for 6:11 AM
Old 04-16-2021, 01:21 PM
Veteran member

back when they used to launch the shuttle... now that was a sight.. what a difference in brightness compared to rocket launches... make sure to hope for a cloudless evening also and be ready for at least 2 or 3 aborts...lol
Old 04-16-2021, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,932 Times in 2,455 Posts

Try to find high spot with good view of east southeast sky. Up north (away UP north) good viewing site are the Chatham tennis courts That’s up on knob with no obstruction. From parking lot looking at courts on the right side it can be seen coming up and moving to left.

Couple of live launch sites

Watch live @ 1 pm ET: SpaceX Crew-2 astronauts arrive at NASA Kennedy | Space

See a Rocket Launch at Kennedy Space Center
Old 04-16-2021, 03:37 PM

Yes you can see the launches from The Villages, but all you will see is the contrail in the sky for a daylight launch or a red light for a night launch. And that is if the sky is quite clear. Look to the east and you should see it. But if you want to see more than just a thin smoke trail in the sky, you will need to get closer to the cape. We've found 2 great viewing spots that are easy to get to.

One is the rest area on I-95 (of all places). It is on the southbound side, south of exit 231(Scottsmoor - Brevard CR 5A). There is plenty of parking and best of all, restroom facilities while you wait for the launch. We've watched a shuttle launch from there and it was spectacular. You can take 44 east to get onto southbound I-95.

Another site, is in New Smyrna Beach. You can take 44 east all the way to where it turns south along the coast (S. Atlantic Ave.) There are many little streets that go to the beach, where you can view the launch quite close up. We usually park at the Ocean Village strip mall and walk across S Atlantic Ave to Matthews Ave. beach access. We watched the SpaceX launch with the Tesla from there and could even spot the boosters coming back down to land at the cape.

The only problem with any launch is you never know if/when it will go up. So having access to a TV station or a SpaceX web page is recommended.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:22 AM

Look east if sky is clear..night launches are the best.. orange Blossom highest location..
Old 04-17-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
I have been told it is possible to watch a Cape Canaveral rocket launch from here in The Villages. Is the launch site too far away from The Villages to watch the rocket going up? If not, can one of you suggest a good place to park my butt and watch that rocket?
Yes, you can see the launches from The Villages, if the sky is clear. However, your view will be basically a small dot rising and then falling in the sky.

We used to live in Melbourne, and the best place we ever found for watching the launches was the FL-528 causeway between Merritt Island and the Canaveral Port. You're only about 7 miles from the launch sites, about as close as you can get, and you can see them basically from the ground up.

Of course, as someone else pointed out, any launch is uncertain. You could easily drive that 1.5 hours to get there, and then have the launch called off. But it is worth it to see it that close up at least once.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:03 AM

Wife and I worked on the Cape in 1995 and 96.
During the Gemini mission manned flights.
She worked for Chrysler Corp, who did the fuelings.
I worked for Burroughs Corp, who provided Guidance and tracking systems.
We witnessed the Atlas II-B evolution from the nearby Pads.
When they launched, it felt like an earthquake.
The whole Cape shook from the blast force of the engines.
Awesome..
Old 04-17-2021, 06:15 AM

Really good iOS app called Next Spaceflight. Free. Gives updates of worldwide launches, all updates, delays, etc.Next Thursday’s spaceX is listed at 2:15am.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouseysMom View Post
Really good iOS app called Next Spaceflight. Free. Gives updates of worldwide launches, all updates, delays, etc.Next Thursday’s spaceX is listed at 2:15am.
The launch is scheduled for 6:11am, NOT 2:15!
Old 04-17-2021, 08:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouseysMom View Post
That's Greenwich Mean Time or GMT.

Last edited by Bilyclub; 04-17-2021 at 08:02 AM. Reason: add
Old 04-17-2021, 08:42 AM
Default Look East to Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
As others have said, just look a little south of east and you will see the spacecraft a few seconds after liftoff unless they are launching to the east or south. Any place with a good view east will work, although, we see them rise over our neighbor’s house. Binoculars or a telephoto lens will make it quite a sight! I prefer night launches. If you can drive to Coco beach to see and hear a launch it can be unforgettable. But, you have to be able to handle disappointed and delay as there are often ‘scrubs’ and delays. I hope to drive over for a Falcon Heavy launch later this year.

Tags
rocket, villages, watch, launch, butt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.