Can you add a window to CYV bathroom?

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2022, 04:26 AM

We have a CYV and experienced mold in the master bath. Eventually we purchased a dehumidifier, keep it in the master bath with the door closed and now no more mold...problem solved. It's amaing that we collect two gallons of moisture in 24 hours on humid days even though we have the AC on. We have a humidistat and even with the AC humidity in the house goes up and down along with the outside humidity.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:46 AM

Having a window in the bathroom in Florida with the outside humidity being so high would probably not help. I. I have installed timer switches on all my fans so when I go in to take a shower I push a timer button and it stop Stays on my pre selected time then shuts off never had mold.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:56 AM

I have two windows in the bathroom and never open them as there is more humidity outside. Never in 10 years had a mold issue.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,876 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Your answer comes from the ARC not from anyone here.

Have you considered getting a higher grade of fan or adding a second fan? There are several grades of fans. Also a light tube does wonders in a bathroom.
I recommend putting in a Panasonic Whisper Choice exhaust fan and a separate timer at rhe switch plate (don’t get the more expensive one with the built-in sensor. These are much quieter than most fans, and they exhaust 110 cubic feet per minute, compared to probably 40 for what you probably have now. Use the timer, set for an hour. Probably that will leave your shower walls dry, and your towels, too. Panasonic is the top-rated by both the Journal of Light Construction and Consumers Reports. Having an open window in your bathroom lets in a lot of humid air that then has to be cooled and dehumidified by your air conditioner. This exhaust fan is cheaper by far than the extra AC.

They are sold at Lowe’s and Home Depot, but unless you are very good at this sort of thing, hire someone to put it in for you.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:05 AM
Default Solar Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
It's always annoyed me that my bathroom doesn't have a window. It's a bredding ground for mold and mildew. Those exhaust fans don't do much and waste electricity. Would ARC approve adding a window to bathroom.
Have a solar tube installed. Call Solar Guys, (352) 205-4204
Old 08-10-2022, 06:06 AM

our CYV garage 24x24 has a window facing the street
Old 08-10-2022, 07:43 AM

We never open our bathroom window. The problem most likely is your temp setting for the AC. Keep temp at 73 to 74 and the humidistat at 54%. I am assuming you may have a Carrier heat pump.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
It's always annoyed me that my bathroom doesn't have a window. It's a bredding ground for mold and mildew. Those exhaust fans don't do much and waste electricity. Would ARC approve adding a window to bathroom.
And your neighbors will get to enjoy your singing in the shower, Neighborhood concert.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:19 AM

That might be possible because I have two windows on that side one is a frosted glass window in the shower and the other is a very small window above my bed. So it might be possible to add a window but, not one you can open to let in fresh air!
Old 08-10-2022, 08:33 AM
Default Get a better fan

Quote:
You don’t need a window, IMO.

The standard fans they install are absolutely garbage. We always had mold and mildew problems in our bathroom (not a CYV) but last year installed a better fan with a built in moisture sensor. It cuts the fan on for about half an hour whenever the shower runs and removes the moisture before it can do damage. Made all the difference in the world. No more problems.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelack99 View Post
You don’t need a window, IMO.

The standard fans they install are absolutely garbage. We always had mold and mildew problems in our bathroom (not a CYV) but last year installed a better fan with a built in moisture sensor. It cuts the fan on for about half an hour whenever the shower runs and removes the moisture before it can do damage. Made all the difference in the world. No more problems.
Do you happen to know the make and model #?
Old 08-10-2022, 08:50 AM
Default Bathroom window

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
To keep it windowless …. Lol
Change is bad
You could leave the exhaust fan on for several years to equal the cost of the window, especially if your house in concrete block.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:55 AM
Default window

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Privacy for the next door neighbor. The window would overlook the next door neighbor's back yard, which is the side yard easement area used and maintained by the neighbor. When you buy a courtyard villa, you expect the windowless wall of your neighbor to remain windowless inside the fenced-in back yard.
get a sky light that open Electric
Old 08-10-2022, 10:44 AM

A tubular skylight would be less if window can’t go.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:51 AM

I have 10 ceiling fans in my home (block and stucco designer) including 2 in garage and one in master bath. I could not live w/o them. Run both ceiling and exhaust fan during and after shower and my mirrors don't even fog up.
Works great. Only open windows to air out house in winter as hot, humid air is not fresh air to me.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Closed Thread

Tags
window, bathroom, exhaust, fans, waste

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.