Capturing alligators

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2016, 10:23 PM

Please call the Sheriff dept to get this on record. According to FL statutes, hunting season ends Nov 1, and bang sticks are the only firearm allowed to be used. I suppose a dangerous animal could be removed any time of year, but a handgun would never be allowed. These people were not only poachers, but endangering your neighbors, and this may not be the first time or the last. This needs to be reported. I don't suppose anyone jotted down the plate number on the truck?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:06 AM
Email Reported As Spam

A few years back my neighbor was bothered by an alligator that would walk from the pond to her lanai. she called the authorities and the animal control people shot the alligator and hauled it off.

so it may well be normal operating procedure. Those interested in learning more about the incident's validity at Hillsborough might want to check with community Watch, the sheriff etc
Old 12-14-2016, 06:34 AM
Default Capturing Alligators

Again thanks & everyone seems to be in agreement re my concerns. One of the neighbors contacted the sheriff's office yesterday, deputy responded & later called simply saying "it was authorized". I have also reached out to Community Watch. It certainly would be nice to know what the exact procedures are; don't believe this incident should qualify.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27RUDYG View Post
Thanks for the replies with useful contacts. My concern not related to any problems I have with Mr. Gator, etc., but rather, what I view as a disturbing incident that occurred yesterday south of Hillsborough Trail: 5 unknown men appeared at a pond in a residential area which has been inhabited by an alligator. One of the men utilizing a .45 magnum handgun shot the alligator in the head & thereafter removed the alligator, departing in a pick-up truck. No law enforcement personnel present & several neighbors upset over the circumstances & the discharge of a firearm so close to homes. So, my question related to what I would think should be well established procedures for addressing so an issue.
Just one question---you were concerned about the safety of discharging a firearm in proximity to homes, yet you were close enough to identify the pistol as a .45 Magnum??????

One more question---where is this pond, since I live just off Warnock??????
Old 12-14-2016, 07:07 AM

Again, thanks for your input. We are well aware of the info relating to interacting with wild animals & specially alligators, nor are we activists of any kind. I did not personally witness this event, but live near-by. My friend of 20 years did witness the event & I trust his recounting of the events. Both of us are retired law enforcement professionals. Something just not right here, that's why we will find out exactly what the procedures are supposed to be. Thanks again...
Old 12-14-2016, 07:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Again, thanks for your input. We are well aware of the info relating to interacting with wild animals & specially alligators, nor are we activists of any kind. I did not personally witness this event, but live near-by. My friend of 20 years did witness the event & I trust his recounting of the events. Both of us are retired law enforcement professionals. Something just not right here, that's why we will find out exactly what the procedures are supposed to be. Thanks again...
Thanks. I think our posts crossed at that same time---which pond?---down by the mailboxes or on Egret or somewhere else?
Old 12-14-2016, 07:23 AM

I believe it was one of the two near Wine Palm Way & Florahome. District Property Management should also be contacted today---it will be good to find out exactly how these situations are supposed to be handled.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:34 AM

Thank you for doing something about this. This is terrible.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
I believe it was one of the two near Wine Palm Way & Florahome. District Property Management should also be contacted today---it will be good to find out exactly how these situations are supposed to be handled.
TY. I agree, looking at the satellite view the homes are quite close and well within range of a .45, as is part of #5 of Egret
Old 12-15-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Cool, Where can the meat be bought?
Frozen gator meat is available at the Best Meats on 301 in Wildwood. Don't know the origin.
Closed Thread

Tags
capturing, responsible, addressing, alligator, aggressive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.