Sage
Default car crashes

There seems to be a rash of rather severe crashes in and around TV's as of late

Yesterday there was a rollover crash @ Colony Plaza
Old 03-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Snowbirds rushing around?

Actually, considering the size of TV you have to expect serious accidents happening
Old 03-02-2018, 08:25 AM
Sage

Random events are never equally distributed across time (coin flipping is the classic example) and people typically see patterns where none exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
There seems to be a rash of rather severe crashes in and around TV's as of late

Yesterday there was a rollover crash @ Colony Plaza
Old 03-02-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Our roads are not built for the speed that many residents and non-residents are driving. They were built for retirees and for some reason or other, we cannot seem to slow down with age! We still need to get everywhere in a tearing hurry. Add in aging bodies and aging eye sight and you have a recipe for disaster!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Veteran member
Default Crashes

And car insurance rates are up year after year as a result. "We've seen a crash or two, so we know a thing or two about insurance rates."
Old 03-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
...considering the size of TV you have to expect serious accidents happening
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Random events are never equally distributed across time (coin flipping is the classic example) and people typically see patterns where none exist.
Yep. And yep.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Platinum member

lot of snowbirds and renters this time of year who are unfamiliar with roundabouts (rotaries up north), people just are not yielding at yield signs. We've had several close calls since the rist of the year and all have been out of state plates.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Traffic density all over Florida goes way up in snowbird season. The increase is of course from tourists who are sometimes totally new to the area and part time residents who may not be intimately familiar with the roads and local driving habits.

In some locales one is expected to slowly coast through stop signs unless there is a need to stop. That is the practice in Southern California, for example, and everyone there expects such behavior. They also are supposed to stop to let pedestrians cross streets there. In other areas one must literally stop at all stop signs. Pedestrians must wait until traffic clears to walk in most places. Since I travel a lot I do not to start to walk across a street expecting traffic to stop for me.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
...Since I travel a lot I do not start to walk across a street expecting traffic to stop for me.
People who don’t obey this rule rarely travel a lot...they usually end up dead.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:05 PM
Sage

People bring their bad driving habits with them. It's NOT something that magically happens just because they live here. I once heard a coversation where a person said, "I'm from N.Y.---I never stopped for a stop sign there, so I won't be doing it here!" With that kind of logic you can expect that sometime they'll more than likely have an accident. When discussions happen on the social media sites---it seems many folks don't think the laws apply to them and will argue the fact. This thread, I predict, will "grow" and there will be a long discussion....and I just contributed. BUT that's my 2-cents worth.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Am wondering how many accidents are the result of permanent residents not being able to cope with the driving habits of seasonal residents. We do read that permanent residents have their own share of incidents when the seasonal residents are not there. More drivers = more opportunities.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:16 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Well, I lived in the Washington, D.C. area for a number of years. I soon learned to look out for cars bearing plates from out of the area.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-02-2018, 06:55 PM
Sage

Twice today in the span of two hours, we were the 3rd car behind a lead car which couldn't figure how to open a gate. And someone took out the whole residents' side of the gate including the pillar to Hemingway. This has happened before. It's dangerous to leave home.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Twice today in the span of two hours, we were the 3rd car behind a lead car which couldn't figure how to open a gate. And someone took out the whole residents' side of the gate including the pillar to Hemingway. This has happened before. It's dangerous to leave home.
It seems that you have two choices. Remove the gates or have then open automatically.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:09 PM

For some reason, The Villages is located between some very major routes, that are full of Semi Truck. Rte 441 and Rt 301 are used heavily by Truckers. The speed limits are quite high, at 45 mph, but rarely can you get up to speed, and if you do look out.
Closed Thread

Tags
crashes, yesterday, late, rollover, plaza

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.