Car Insurance

Old 03-26-2024, 09:27 AM

We have Travelers through The Villages Insurance. Travelers does seem to have the best rates.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Not jus car insurance.....................Trucking insurance is out of control if you drive in Florida or California.
Some trucking companies refuse to drive in FL &/or CA.

"Everything" you buy comes by truck & you are paying for their insurance.
That's not only in CA. or FL.

EVERY state is contributing to high insurance shipping cost including the states you drive through to get between said states.

What about wild fires/floods in the western states excluding CA.?
Old 03-26-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmspla1952 View Post
Received a letter from Travelers (car insurance) stating they will no longer continue coverage based on "your agent (AAA) no longer represents us for personal lines property and casualty business".

So I've started car insurance shopping. Sticker shock! The least expensive policy is $800 more than last year. The agent I'm working with included these articles:

Auto insurance rates this year have seen the largest increase in 47 years per CNN Business.

Car insurance rates just had their biggest annual jump in 47 years. This is why | CNN Business

Per the Washington Post article, auto rates on average went up 17% across the country but the state to state increases are drastically different. In Florida, they show an increase of 88%, by far the largest in the country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ims-disasters/

I'm still continuing to shop and some may say that an increase of $800 is good but my, my.
MINE in AZ went up over $300 we have worse drivers here
Old 03-26-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
You say the least expensive increase is $800, but not what your base is.

Insurance prices change depending on different factors. Your car matters (ie: I've heard Kias are very expensive to insure), your credit rating matters, your driving record matters & so on.

KIA and HYUNDAI thats why I didnt buy those cars easy to steal from my ins lady said your lucky if you can find one that will cover you too !
Old 03-26-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmspla1952 View Post
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

Update: received a letter from AAA (not the agent but the company) yesterday stating that THEY would continue the coverage in place of Travelers but for only a 6 month term. The other quotes I received were for a 6 month term also. Guess that's the way it is now - 6 months at a time. Anyway, the price given was "ballpark" to last years Traveler's policy and we will go with them.

I blame myself for being so reactionary. They mailed the renewal cancellation on 02-29 and our policy expires on 04-23. I immediately reacted by contacting other agents for quotes knowing that these things take time. AAA sent the letter I received yesterday, 3 weeks after the cancellation notice. I just should have waited. My situation resolved itself and now I have another "lesson learned" to add to my lessons of life.

Thank you all again.
FYI best to find a year coverage they can raise you every 6 months again insurance lady suggested and said this
Old 03-26-2024, 11:50 AM
Default Car Insurance is extreme

For those who feel they still have a reasonable annual rate, it will change.. We are carrying homeowners insurance on a house we no longer own because it is bundled under AAA until July. It is cheaper than moving to an auto only policy and paying the same rate for 6 months that we did annually.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORBILL66 View Post
Car insurance rates will continue to climb as long as these lawyers, such as Morgan & Morgan and Dan Newland keep getting million of their clients. The government needs to cap these outrageous payouts!
Lawyers rates are governed. Biggest problem is that juries have rewarded their clients immensely and no control over them. Just like the old McDonalds hot coffee case. Medical malpractice damages have been capped and now it it hard to get a good lawyer to handle a legitimate medical malpractice case. Lawyers will always find ways around the rules
Old 03-26-2024, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Lawyers rates are governed. Biggest problem is that juries have rewarded their clients immensely and no control over them. Just like the old McDonalds hot coffee case. Medical malpractice damages have been capped and now it it hard to get a good lawyer to handle a legitimate medical malpractice case. Lawyers will always find ways around the rules
Many auto insurance companies limit their liability coverage to $250K maximum. I had to shop around to find a company that would sell me $1 million. So, I think auto insurance rates are more likely determined by smaller property damage claims.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

There are lots of things to like about Florida, but property and casualty (homeowners and auto insurance) is without a doubt NOT one of those things. The best I could do for our 2005 BMW convertible in Florida was $610 for 6 month’s coverage. I registered the Beamer in Massachusetts and added it to our existing policy up there and we now pay an ANNUAL premium of $1,245 for three vehicles, the Beamer, my truck, and my wife’s Honda SUV. The only bummer is that I now have to get an annual inspection on the Beamer, but it’s exempt from the emissions portion of the inspection because of its age so I don’t have to replace the expensive catalytic converter which actually makes the car run worse.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:17 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballer View Post
That sounds awfully cheap. Do you have collision, comprehensive, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage?
That is very cheap. I have no citations, no accidents, my car is garaged. I’m paying more than that and I have full coverage and a high deductible, That quote is very odd. I paid that years ago before rates increased.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Many auto insurance companies limit their liability coverage to $250K maximum. I had to shop around to find a company that would sell me $1 million. So, I think auto insurance rates are more likely determined by smaller property damage claims.
Wouldn't an umbrella policy be a better option?
Old 03-27-2024, 08:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Wouldn't an umbrella policy be a better option?
An umbrella policy is an option, but you need to max out your liability coverage on your auto and homeowners policies, and then pay the umbrella premium. Umbrella policies are not as cheap as some people claim. With State Farm, I can get $1 million liability coverage as part of the auto policy alone, which, to me, is more important than liability coverage on my homeowners policy. I have $500K liability on my Progressive homeowners policy. Many companies do not sell high liability limits for auto insurance. Two companies that do are State Farm and Allstate.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
That is very cheap. I have no citations, no accidents, my car is garaged. I’m paying more than that and I have full coverage and a high deductible, That quote is very odd. I paid that years ago before rates increased.
A few years ago, I switched from Allstate to State Farm, and my 6-month policy went from $650 to $325. It is now $424. I have full coverage for collision and comprehensive, a $500 deductible, and $1 million in personal liability. Note that I do save money by rejecting the optional uninsured motorist (UM) coverage, which I consider a waste of money. Some people disagree with that. See other threads about UM.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:12 AM
Default Auto insurance

You can thank Morgan & Morgan
Old 03-27-2024, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

All pretty basic stuff: Insurance costs for cars are based on risk. If models are in demand for thieves, if models have issues which make them more prone to accidents, if lawyers can entice people with high payouts for injuries, etc, etc, etc. They need to take all of that and much more into consideration while insuring they can also meet operating expenses and earn a profit when they determine rates. You could be a terrific accident and claim free driver and still need to pay a share of their costs

Tags
insurance, car, increase, state, country

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.