card board in attic

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2014, 11:07 AM
Default card board in attic

So there is good advise on this forum not to store paper or cardboard boxes in the attic since bugs love them. Today I noticed that my 2 month old home has cardboard barriers stapled to the bottom of the joists to keep the blown insulation in place.
Does the contractor know something we don't know?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Gold member

Could be specially treated to keep the little critters at bay.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
So there is good advise on this forum not to store paper or cardboard boxes in the attic since bugs love them. Today I noticed that my 2 month old home has cardboard barriers stapled to the bottom of the joists to keep the blown insulation in place.
When we moved here much of our good china and glassware was packed in newspaper and cardboard moving boxes. We stored them in the garage and forgot about them - didn't realize that china and good crystal does not get much use here ------- couple of years later we noticed an abundance of those good sized bugs in the garage - yes we had Palmetto bugs which is another name for the American cockroach. Then we found out they absolutely love cardboard. When we emptied the boxes they were alive with bugs. So no more cardboard or paper anywhere, and the china and crystal went too - the kids love it - we should have just left it behind.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Could be specially treated to keep the little critters at bay.
And if it isn't it could be. I would think whomever you have your insect contract with could come out and look and treat with something to keep them from coming in. But using cardboard in construction just seems weird to me.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Those are paper "baffles" put there to keep the blown in insulation from covering up the vents in the eves. Without them no air would circulate in the attic and it would cause your attic (and house) to be even hotter. Additionally, lack of air circulation will cause moisture / condensation to build in the attic, which can cause all kinda bad stuff to happen.

They are chemically treated (typically with a Boric Acid solution) to repel bugs, just as paper based cellulose blown insulation is.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM

Lndlocked - Thanks for that explanation that the "bafflels" are treated - now I know
Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I was raised in Florida and always heard it was the glue in cardboard boxes not the cardboard. Either way, I'm not taking chances on it. I use plastic storage bins.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 AM

Do you have your house treated for pests?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM

I have lived here for 12 years and haven't heard the cardboard warning before. I store many items (especially large ) in cardboard and store in my garage and attic. I have never had a problem with any palmetto bugs nor love bugs. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
I have lived here for 12 years and haven't heard the cardboard warning before. I store many items (especially large ) in cardboard and store in my garage and attic. I have never had a problem with any palmetto bugs nor love bugs. Maybe I'm just lucky.
I have never had a problem either. I see dead ones every once in a while. But then I do have pest control. Maybe that is keeping them out of my stuff.

z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
It isn't the cardboard so much that attracts cockroaches -- it's the glue. But all the nooks and crannies in cardboard certainly give little buggers a place to hide and live.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
Those are paper "baffles" put there to keep the blown in insulation from covering up the vents in the eves. Without them no air would circulate in the attic and it would cause your attic (and house) to be even hotter. Additionally, lack of air circulation will cause moisture / condensation to build in the attic, which can cause all kinda bad stuff to happen.

They are chemically treated (typically with a Boric Acid solution) to repel bugs, just as paper based cellulose blown insulation is.
Never seen them use cardboard baffles the ones in three of the houses I have lived in were plastic.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.