What made you choose the village you live in?

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Veteran member
Default What made you choose the village you live in?

There are so many CHOICES! What influenced your decision on where to buy/build?

Alanna
Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Sage

What do you want to be close to (or far away from)? How important is it to be close to one of the squares (or not), grocery stores, restaurants, a rec center, and so on.

If you're buying a resale home, we based part of our decision on the age of the house we wanted to have. That alone will point you to certain areas. Also with resales: Do you want natural gas service or not? Some will have it, some won't.

Bill
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

We chose Hadley because we heard that Graciegirl was in Hadley. Once we bought though we must have scared her away since she sold and moved to another Village!

Seriously, we didn't really care what village we were in or where it was located. We just wanted to find a home that would satisfy our likes and preferences and today we're 100% satisfied except for not having a golf cart garage.

We started looking all the way up in Chatham, worked our way down and wound up purchasing all the way in the south-east corner of TV. At the time that was as far away from where we started, Chatham as we could possibly go.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Are the villages different? I mean, do they have a theme or something?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

No, all villages basically the same, just think of them as "large neighborhoods". South of 466 most every village has a pool with horseshoes, boccee (?) shuffle board.
When we where looking we wanted something out of concrete, and to down-size from what we had. So we looked primarily at villas. Also like the privacy of actually having yard area with a fence since fences are not allowed in TV.
We bought a CYV and LOVE IT! Yes, it took some getting use to the smaller size but you are so busy in TV that a bed, small kitchen and bath is really all you need! All of our firends own homes and wish they had bought a CYV.

Army Guy
Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
No, all villages basically the same, just thing of them as "large neighborhoods". South of 466 most every village has a pool with horseshoes, boccee (?) shuffle board.
When we where looking we wanted something out of concrete, and to down-size from what we had. So we looked primarily at villas. Also like the privacy of actually having yard area with a fence since fences are not allowed in TV.
We bought a CYV and LOVE IT! Yes, it took some getting use to the smaller size but you are so busy in TV that a bed, small kitchen and bath is really all you need! All of our firends own homes and wish they had bought a CYV.

Army Guy

Thanks! Good to know. We are just discovering The Villages. What's a CYV?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Dukes View Post
Thanks! Good to know. We are just discovering The Villages. What's a CYV?
It is a great place! CYV = Court Yard Villa

Army Guy
Old 02-18-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
It is a great place! CYV = Court Yard Villa

Army Guy

Thanks! We have been hearing a lot about it from some friend of ours who are moving there! In fact, that's ALL they talk about!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks! We have been hearing a lot about it from some friend of ours who are moving there! In fact, that's ALL they talk about!
Don, Go on :The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown - New Home Sales, Home Resales, Build Your Dream Home and look at both the new homes and preowned homes and you can see photos of what manufactured hoems, courtyard villas, patio villas, ranch homes, designer homes and premier homes look like. Large price range from less than $100K to $800K+
Old 02-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Well, I'll bet I can guess who that is!! It wouldn't be the most excited person to be building at TV EVER, could it? :cool smiley: I hope I get a chance to meet her someday. Her excitement is surely contagious and I just love being around people who have such positive energy!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post
Well, I'll bet I can guess who that is!! It wouldn't be the most excited person to be building at TV EVER, could it? :cool smiley: I hope I get a chance to meet her someday. Her excitement is surely contagious and I just love being around people who have such positive energy!
Ed and Beth Sterling. Do you know them? They are moving down next week! It's all they talk about! They told us to come on this site and thevillages.com.

I've been looking at the "pre-owned" homes and the new homes on thevillages.com. Nice homes, but many of the homes in Florida are a lot less expensive with more options. I'm not sure I get it. I don't mean to be rude. I'm just trying to figure this out.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Ed and Beth Sterling. Do you know them? They are moving down next week! It's all they talk about! They told us to come on this site and thevillages.com.

I've been looking at the "pre-owned" homes and the new homes on thevillages.com. Nice homes, but many of the homes in Florida are a lot less expensive with more options. I'm not sure I get it. I don't mean to be rude. I'm just trying to figure this out.
I assumed you were talking about this person, but I think her name is Kathy. How big is Queensbury, anyway?

Happinow Update

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 02-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
There are so many CHOICES! What influenced your decision on where to buy/build?

Alanna

I lived in a manufactured doublewide on the east side of 441 for about 5 years. Then one morning, while reading my newspaper, I noticed a patio villa in the classified section. I wasn't looking for a house but it caught my attention. I had never seen the inside of one and was curious. But I didn't want to bother the occupants just because I was courious. Well, I thought, I'll just call and ask some questions. I ended up on the phone with the owner for about a half hour.

The owner was so friendly that I couldn't resist going to look at it. It was less than a year old and in a great location behind the Villages High school. This was before the Villages library was built and before Walmart.

So here's what happened: After about 10 minutes looking at the house, I gave the owner a deposit. There was no realtor involved. I bought the house and have been living in it since 2005.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:

One of the great selling features of TV (at least for me as a wannabee) is the huge variety of clubs, social activities and volunteer opportunties that are available. Also from what I have heard, TV for the most part is a safe area (also important to me as a single female). I walked through the squares at LSL and SS at 9:00 pm and later last year several times and never felt unsafe, although I always keep aware of my surroundings. I'm sure TV residents will post more feedback.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I assumed you were talking about this person, but I think her name is Kathy. How big is Queensbury, anyway?

Happinow Update

We are bout 65 square miles with a population of about 35,000 people. It's beautiful here.

No I don't know Kathy (Happinow). I know of her and her husband. They own CSA Coin and Jewelery on Glen Street. I've never met them but have heard of them.

My friends are moving to The Villages next month to a village they call Brownwood or something. They had a house built there. I don't remember but the model was the name of a flower.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.