Old 03-13-2015, 06:44 AM
Platinum member

Good lord

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-13-2015, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

get an extension..we do. Tax people after the 15th work better. Should I renew my AARP?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Ok, time to stop freaking out. Simply file an amended 1040X form. Now you will get what you're entitled to.
I wonder if you would be that casual if it were your money the government is holding onto?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I wonder if you would be that casual if it were your money the government is holding onto?

I most certainly know I'd be peeved, but I know with the amended form filed I'd have my money in a couple of months. The Treasury Dept is good for it. Really, not a big deal.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Is this the same thing as the folks I would see at Colony Cottage Rec Center helping people with their tax returns? I always thought how nice of retired accountants to volunteer their time.

Or is this another situation?
These are the same people....but they are NOT retired accountants. I attended the first training session last year. The tax preparer students have a multitude of different backgrounds, from engineers to...? Many had done their own taxes in the past, some such as myself were accountants and had worked for other tax services. I worked for H&R Block for 10 years. Their tax preparers also come from varied backgrounds and go through Block's training program as the AARP people go through AARP's program. The best thing to do is ask for an "experienced" tax preparer when having your taxes done at such a place.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Gold member

This whole "freebie" service is just one more way that "non-profit" AARP is in bed with the feds, and the IRS, like they are in bed with United Healthcare to give UHC-AARP even more business/control to strangle competition, cashing in on the new healthcare law!

From the IRS Website:
"The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $53,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.

In addition to VITA, the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program offers free tax help for all taxpayers, particularly those who are 60 years of age and older, specializing in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues unique to seniors. The IRS-certified volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with non-profit organizations that receive grants from the IRS.
Before going to a VITA or TCE site, see……

A majority of the TCE sites are operated by the AARP Foundation’s Tax Aide program. To locate the nearest AARP TCE Tax-Aide site between January and April use….."
IRS: Free Tax Return Preparation for Qualifying Taxpayers
Old 03-13-2015, 11:07 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
These are the same people....but they are NOT retired accountants. I attended the first training session last year. The tax preparer students have a multitude of different backgrounds, from engineers to...? Many had done their own taxes in the past, some such as myself were accountants and had worked for other tax services. I worked for H&R Block for 10 years. Their tax preparers also come from varied backgrounds and go through Block's training program as the AARP people go through AARP's program. The best thing to do is ask for an "experienced" tax preparer when having your taxes done at such a place.
I have used them for advice but not had them prepare the return. I went in and stated I had a complicated tax question (which I did) and that I would wait for a retired accountant. I had brought all the paper forms printed out. Sat down and pulled out my book to read as I waited. Got a very smart retired fellow who answered my strange questions and we wrote on my blank forms where to list what. Took them home and filed out the forms fresh copies and filed them myself. At the time I had a weird investment that I didn't know how to report. Now that my life is more simple I use Turbo tax but the person who posted they have an accountant that only charges $175 is getting a steal.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Sage

What's the most income you can have and still be able to go to AARP Tax Aid? Assuming you keep things simple - no deductions etc.

The first newspaper article that came out this year said something about serving "low to moderate income" people. But it didn't specify an income limit.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:59 PM

Should we condemn the whole organization. They do thousands of returns each year. They are a great service for people who REALLY need them.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Horse out of the Barn

I know the horse is out of the barn BUT if you need very good advise and treatment in the Villages I would recommend Mark Murphy, CPA in the Villages. We have used him for years and could not be happier.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
What's the most income you can have and still be able to go to AARP Tax Aid? Assuming you keep things simple - no deductions etc.

The first newspaper article that came out this year said something about serving "low to moderate income" people. But it didn't specify an income limit.
If you have a simple return - no deductions etc. go online and file for free. It is the easiest thing to do. They'll walk you through step by step.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

I like the old saying you only get what you paid for.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.