Loving the train

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2021, 11:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts
Default Loving the train

Sitting out on the lanai tonight watching some tv and the train tracks have been very busy. Love the sound of the train, so glad we bought where we can hear it. Very cool.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:08 AM
Veteran member

When we lived in the NW section I enjoyed hearing the trains, too, especially at night. It reminds me of my childhood.

kathy
Old 01-12-2021, 07:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Something special about a train whistle.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:01 AM
Sage

Nice memories, as long as it's not too close. As a child, I could look out the front window at night and see the trains about a mile-and-a half away. There were three passenger trains that came through regularly, the Cities of LA, Portland, and San Francisco, Union Pacific line. How I wished I could be on one.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

We also can hear the train whistle in the distance. Very soothing.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:52 AM

When my grandfather retired from the railroad he bought a place in Stuart Fla. a block from the tracks. When we would visit and hear a train he would look at the clock and say "there goes the 5:07" or whatever time it was. Good memories.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I like to think about trains as well. I was never a fan of flying even though I've soloed a Cessna but didn't get my license.

When I was 19 in St. Petersburg I caught a train to Baltimore at this station on Seaboard Coastline. I worked that summer for a cousin who had opened the first Sub Shop in Ocean City Maryland on the Boardwalk, Billy's Famous Subs. That location is no longer, but there a Billy's Subs on 140th St in OC.

Seaboard Coastline and Atlantic Coastline (ACL) merged soon after my trip and this station was closed. It was very modern and nice, all brick and glass. Today it's the second photo below, the building still stands and has been expanded for a lumber business.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

I caught the Autotrain from Sanford to Arlington, VA and back 3 times since I moved to TV. It's a neat ride and you have your car with you when you arrive. Takes about 19 hours, depart Sanford at 4pm and arrive in DC suburbs about 9am. At the exact time a train is departing Virginia and arrives in Sanford the next day and it's all repeated. Summertime is the best rates. Paid $900 each way in April, and paid only $375 each way in August.

The train station in Sanford and Arlington are identical, so that makes it easier to know your way around. They are as modern as most airports, which really surprised me.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Cars being loaded, never had a scratch on my car and they photo your car before and after. They pack them in on two levels.

The Villages Florida

The train cabins are very spacious, not cramped like an airline. We always took the last two seats so we could recline and not worry about the people behind us, there was wall about 2' in back. I think the seats were number 42 and 43. What I also like is the trains are double-decker, so you're very high up and see great. If you like a little more room or to sleep, they have sleepers downstairs for about $400 more. It's really a seat that folds flat and a curtain goes around you, I didn't think it was worth it. I sleep in my seat without much problem. Before your trip go to Walmart and buy a small pillow for $4 and a small blanket for $4, they have them on the train but more expensive.

The Villages Florida

Dining Car, If you're only 1 or 2 people they will seat strangers together. Once we had a young girl college student from DC going to UCF in Orlando. Normally you never have a conversation with a 20 year old, you learn a lot. Another time was fellow from Florida going to north for a NRA (National Rife Assoc) and he was a high level officer/speaker. That was also interesting since I'm not into hunting.

The Villages Florida

BTW, when I got out of Army in '72 my first job was a switchman with Southern Railroad in Savannah Georgia. I only lasted 30 days, it really wasn't what I wanted, but was interesting. I was on a waiting list for a federal job, so I moved on.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We took the family of 5 from Boston to Orlando, round trip for a total of $600. The ride down was great but the ride home not so much, took an extra 6 hours to get home. Anyway, love living near these tracks.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

The Autotrain was cool. I did that a few years back. I had a sleeper. Brought my own beer and wine for the adventure.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

When I was nine years old we moved to a home that was less than 100 yards from train tracks. There was a train that went through every night at 11 PM. It had to sound the horn as there was a road crossing about a quarter mile from our house. It startled me and woke me the first nights we lived there. After a few months I never noticed it or awakened again. Amazing what one can adjust to!
Old 01-13-2021, 11:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Nice memories, as long as it's not too close. As a child, I could look out the front window at night and see the trains about a mile-and-a half away. There were three passenger trains that came through regularly, the Cities of LA, Portland, and San Francisco, Union Pacific line. How I wished I could be on one.
You could have been on one if you were a fast enough runner!
Closed Thread

Tags
train, loving, hear, bought, glad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.