Caribbean Lagoon coming to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

A public recreation area within TV? I don't see it, unless it's outside of TV.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:24 AM
Veteran member

I’ve been to the one north of Tampa and loved it! Can’t wait till it comes to the Villages or nearby. They really are astounding. Imagine a massive pool the size of a lake with crystal clear water, boating and a water park. It’ll be a huge hit here!
Old 06-09-2021, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Driving along 466A there are quite a few large fields for sale. Wondering if they would be large enough.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Talk is cheap lets see if they make the investment.
Irrelevant to the point I was making...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-09-2021, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
I’ve been to the one north of Tampa and loved it! Can’t wait till it comes to the Villages or nearby. They really are astounding. Imagine a massive pool the size of a lake with crystal clear water, boating and a water park. It’ll be a huge hit here!
Where is the one north of Tampa? Thx.

kathy
Old 06-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
At 35 bucks or more for a day pass. no way.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Where is the one north of Tampa? Thx.

kathy
It's actually Crystal Lagoon, not Caribbean Lagoon.

Here is the location north of Tampa

Crystal Lagoon at Epperson - Fun 4 Tampa Kids
Old 06-09-2021, 04:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Hard to imagine anything needing that much acreage being built on developer land (thus making it cart accessible). Way too many houses could be built, on the footprint of a place like that. With that said, it would be nice to have one close by to take visitors, but with so many cart accessible neighborhood pools already in place (not to mention private pools), I wonder if it could ever survive around here. Now put a Costco next to it - and who knows? LOL
Old 06-09-2021, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
At 35 bucks or more for a day pass. no way.
Only $35 a day, what a bargain.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

Wesley Chapel. But there are at least three others in Florida - Wimauma (near the legendary Sun City Center) another in southwest Florida and one under contract in San Antonio. Metro Lagoons – Welcome to Paradise
Old 06-09-2021, 08:19 PM

There is at least one in Texas, too, attached to a planned community. It seems one of the company’s targets are big housing developers - like TV. Their website is very marketing heavy and reads like a venture capital investment scam. But they have legitimately built several.

There is the Lifestyle Center and Central Lake. Could Central Lake be made into one of these? And there are water features in the Community Support District plans. A lagoon could be a good draw for TV support families.

Last edited by NatureBoy; 06-09-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

maybe that's what will happen to the Coleman prison-it would have enough space
Old 06-09-2021, 09:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

After giving this some more though, I'm intrigued by the possibilities, the technical aspects of such a place is an easy fit for our area as it grows. Let me explain.

As I said in the previous post, the pool is little more than a heat sink for a facility that produces a lot of heat. Many large facilities and campuses use a Central Energy Plant (CEP) to produce chill water (for air conditioning and humidity control), hot water (domestic use and heating), and backup electrical power. Most CEPs use an array of cooling towers to reject the produced heat, these are commonly seen on large building rooftops and set aside locations around a group of buildings. Some uninformed see the steam plume coming from the towers and assume it to be air pollution, it's simply water vapor.

Currently in Sumter County there are few large heat loads that would require the sizable CEP that would be needed for one of these lagoons. As I said, currently. Look ahead just a few years and the picture is different. The proposed medical complex that is in the planning stages is a prime candidate for a CEP since it is all greenfield work and the distribution infrastructure can be economically laid in at the initial stages of the development. Hospitals are HUGE energy users, and many use the CEP concept to help control energy costs. All this being said, it seems technically feasible for our area to have such a lagoon location.

Looking at the other side of the coin, economics, is a necessary evil. The addition of such a heat sink would be additional cost, conventional cooling towers sufficient to handle the CEP full load would still need to be built on-site to handle the facilities needs in case something happened to the lagoon heat sink (a sink hole opens up and drains the lagoon, it is Florida after all).

One has to look also at the marketability of a lagoon location in or around The Villages. This would be a tourist attraction, it would have to have its own local draw as it's too far from the Orlando attractions to attract customers and would have to compete with Wet-n-Wild, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizard Beach, and the other area water parks. Other "attractions" and businesses would need to exist to be successful. For the locals/resident the novelty will wear off quickly so you must continuously pull in new customers. Sure, it would be nice to take the grandkids to when down for a visit, but regular use by Villages residents, not very likely. It's been my experience over the last 7 years living here that most residents here are cheap and have forgotten how the real-world works (businesses have to make money), any cost increase and they cry poor with indignation and condemnation, blaming it all on the developer for being greedy.

Who would operate such a location? The developer, maybe but doubtful, amusement parks (for lack of a better label) are not their specialty. The local government/CDD, not likely. A 3rd party, this is the most likely, but they would be focused on their own profitability and not necessarily the image and reputation of The Villages/developer putting them at odds with the developer. Only one person gets to drive the bus and I doubt the developer will give up control of the future and planning of The Villages.

This would also require a large swath of land within or adjacent to current development. This would take away from home/golf course/amenity development.

So, technically feasible, absolutely, but likely improbable for coming here. I know, the guy in the interview said The Villages as a location, but more likely it is in the early stages of consideration, and it will probably wither and die on the vine.

(Before retiring I worked for Johnson Controls and was involved with the CEPs at St. Jude, FedEx World Hqtrs, Shands hospital, and Methodist Central Hospital in Memphis, as well as several others.)

I'm going to continue to dig into this one, it's an interesting concept, but I think unlikely to come to fruition.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 06-09-2021, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

wow, thank you for sharing this info-we are lucky to have you here to explain it! i look forward to any future comments re: this subject, thx for doing what you do
Old 06-10-2021, 05:01 AM

According to WESH news, TV will be one location. Read on…

ORLANDO, Fla. – Get this: Central Florida's inland counties won't have to head to the coast to enjoy the beach. Wait, what?!

Yep, five of counties are getting Caribbean-like lagoons.

The destinations are called Crystal Lagoons. “[They're] an idyllic beach life just steps away from people's homes,” says Iván Manzur, Crystal Lagoons' corporate senior VP of sales.

Thanks to patented technology, five Central Florida counties are getting Caribbean-like lagoons with crystal clear waters, tiki huts, white sandy beaches, and room for all kinds of water sports, from paddle boarding to kayaking.

The five counties are Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake and Sumter. “The first 3 projects will be located in Kissimmee, the Villages and Orlando,” Manzur says.
Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, lagoon, coming, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.