Cars using the golf cart lanes to pass

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I have been cut off more than once. Like others I usually lag back when both me in my cart and a car get to an intersection at the same time.

I actually like the intersections where they make the carts merge into the car lanes. This prevents the cars from cutting a cart off when they make a right hand turn.
That would cause a lot of traffic flow problems if the carts had to move left into the street at every intersection on Morse north of 466. You just gotta be careful, and assume the car on your left doesn't see you. It's kind of the same attitude you need when you're riding a bike or a motorcycle.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I have been cut off more than once. Like others I usually lag back when both me in my cart and a car get to an intersection at the same time.

I actually like the intersections where they make the carts merge into the car lanes. This prevents the cars from cutting a cart off when they make a right hand turn.

I agree - good practice.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Founder

I believe that golf cart drivers are given to believe that those side lanes are for golf carts, walkers, runners and bicycles. To encourage or allow automobiles to begin using them, even for turns is dangerous. No less than automobiles using multimodel lanes.

When one has a sense of security that they are in a "golf cart lane," they shouldn't be subject to making way for automobiles. Until everyone is educated that golf cart lanes are shared by automobiles I say it's a dangerous practice. We see time and again that cars cut in front of carts in a right turn. Imagine those drivers now pulling over into the cart lane with total disregard for the carts, walkers and runners.

How soon will it be before a golf cart is in the blind spot on the right of a car when it make it's entry into the golf cart lane. Or a walker or a runner.

If they are to be shared, don't call them golf cart lanes. At that time, signs should indicate that cars are merging with carts.

JLK
Old 11-21-2010, 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=Talk Host;310391]I believe that golf cart drivers are given to believe that those side lanes are for golf carts, walkers, runners and bicycles. To encourage or allow automobiles to begin using them, even for turns is dangerous. No less than automobiles using multimodel lanes.

When one has a sense of security that they are in a "golf cart lane," they shouldn't be subject to making way for automobiles. Until everyone is educated that golf cart lanes are shared by automobiles I say it's a dangerous practice. We see time and again that cars cut in front of carts in a right turn. Imagine those drivers now pulling over into the cart lane with total disregard for the carts, walkers and runners.

How soon will it be before a golf cart is in the blind spot on the right of a car when it make it's entry into the golf cart lane. Or a walker or a runner.

If they are to be shared, don't call them golf cart lanes. At that time, signs should indicate that cars are merging with carts.

JLK[/QUOTE

It would be a big mistake to assume a sense of security no matter if you're in a golf cart in the golf cart lane or in a car in a car lane. You must expect the unexpected and ALWAYS pay attention to everything. You must learn to anticipate others intentions.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Founder

That's true enough, and thousands of people are killed or injured because people don't or can't anticipate the actions of others. To invite automobiles to begin sharing cart lanes, I believe, is a big mistake. There are thousands and thousands of golf carts driving along with a sense of some security that they have their own lane, when suddenly, there's a car, garbage truck or UPS truck pulling into what they thought was their right of way. Unregistered carts are not permitted in the traffic lane, so the assumption is that registered automobiles are not suppose to be in the cart lane.

If it's gonna be that way, make it that way. Inform everybody and stop calling it a golf cart lane.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Sage

Look at the original post again. One of the problems with having cars move into the cart lane to pass when another car is waiting to turn left is that, when traffic starts to move, you can get two cars trying to move in the same direction where there is only a lane and a half.

Also, someone farther up the street sees traffic stopped behind a car turning left and starts to pull into the street when another car suddenly appears by going around in the cart lane.

Even on Morse north of 466, the wait isn't usually that long since they put the lights in at San Marino.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
That's true enough, and thousands of people are killed or injured because people don't or can't anticipate the actions of others. To invite automobiles to begin sharing cart lanes, I believe, is a big mistake. There are thousands and thousands of golf carts driving along with a sense of some security that they have their own lane, when suddenly, there's a car, garbage truck or UPS truck pulling into what they thought was their right of way. Unregistered carts are not permitted in the traffic lane, so the assumption is that registered automobiles are not suppose to be in the cart lane.

If it's gonna be that way, make it that way. Inform everybody and stop calling it a golf cart lane.
All I'm saying is the law is the law and until it's changed it's a big mistake to have a sense of security in any type of vehicle. That would be nice in a perfect world but there are too many variables. Perhaps a guardrail separating the car from cart lane would improve the situation but that's not going to happen any time soon.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
All I'm saying is the law is the law .
I'm not sure that it's a law that cars must to go into the cart lane to initiate a right turn. I believe that it may be a misguided suggestion.

Additionally, I don't think that those lanes are wide enough to accommodate a full size car or truck, and the lanes are separated by a solid white line which I believe we are not suppose to cross.

If it becomes the law of the land that those lanes are to be used for cars to turn, then in short order people will also use them for driving. Think not?

JLK
Old 11-22-2010, 08:13 AM

Best to error on the side of caution and not use the cart lane for passing a left turning vehicle on the right or making a right turn.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Sage
Default A bit off topic from original post, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I'm not sure that it's a law that cars must to go into the cart lane to initiate a right turn. I believe that it may be a misguided suggestion.

Additionally, I don't think that those lanes are wide enough to accommodate a full size car or truck, and the lanes are separated by a solid white line which I believe we are not suppose to cross.

If it becomes the law of the land that those lanes are to be used for cars to turn, then in short order people will also use them for driving. Think not?

JLK
Sir, I respectfully disagreed with your position on how to safely take a right turn in another thread and still do now. These articles , albeit not from FL, describe, IMO is the safest way to make right hand turns when sharing the road with ANY type of lane, bicycle or golf cart.

http://www.sfbike.org/?bikelane_right_turns
http://www.thewashcycle.com/2010/07/...ing-right.html

It makes no more sense for a car to take a right hand turn from the traffic lane without first merging into the golf cart lane than it does for a golf cart to take a left hand turn from the golf cart lane without first merging into the left hand traffic lane.

Turning across lanes without first properly merging is dangerous.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

AJ.... I agree with you [and the California law] totally. It just makes common sense that a car would merge into the cart/bicycle lane to make a right hand turn. As with any merge, the driver should signal his/her intentions and make sure there is no other vehicle present. Whether its a cart, car or bicycle should not matter.

I just fail to see where this is an issue... The best way to make sure you are not in a accident [ever!], with you car or your cart, is to leave them in the garage...

Just my thinking...
Old 11-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

I just fail to see where this is an issue... The best way to make sure you are not in a accident [ever!], with you car or your cart, is to leave them in the garage...

Just my thinking...
After having served on the New York State Highway advisory committee and the New York Southern Corridor Highway council, I've observed that most people fail to see inherent dangers in traffic patterns. Failing to "see this as an issue" will change if and when this practice becomes the rule.

There is a wide canyon between "leaving your car in the garage" and providing traffic laws that best assure motorist safety.

You have your opinion. I have mine.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
"FS 316.084 – When Overtaking and Passing on the Right is Permitted

(1) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or is about to make a left turn;

(b) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction;

(c) Upon a one-way street, or upon a roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.

(2) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway."

So, yes, it is legal. As to what's the rush, you'd have to ask the other driver. I've had to slam on my brakes in my golf cart to keep from hitting a car using the Morse multi-modal path to pass someone turning left. I've also been passed on the right when turning left onto my street. It's scary and stupid. Some people just have no common sense.
The Original post to this thread by Logdog's description tells that he was stopped behind another car that was turning left. He himself was not turning left but was going to proceed straight ahead. Redwitch posted Florida Law in the second posting here. Section (1)(a) clearly states that passing on the right is permitted "When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn." Logdog was not turning left. Im sure he did not have his left signal on either. Therefore, the vehicles that did the passing on the right were in violation because Logdog was not intending to turn left. Remember that Logdog was going to go straight ahead.
Additionally, Section (2) reads in part, ...In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement OR MAIN-TRAVELED PORTION OF THE ROADWAY. The "main-traveled portion of the roadway" is defined as that area where vehicles usually and normally travel. The 'golf cart lane' is not the Main-Traveled Portion for cars.

Regardless the reason that traffic ahead is stopped in the lane, you cannot drive out of your lane to the right onto the Golf Cart Lane to pass on the right. This area is not the Main Traveled Portion of the roadway.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.