Cars using the golf cart lanes to pass

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Veteran member
Default Cars using the golf cart lanes to pass

We’ve been here a year now and haven’t seen this before. But over the past two days it happened several times. Yesterday, we were driving the car on Morse north of 466 and had to stop because the car in front of us wanted to make a left turn. There was a little bit of a wait and next thing I know two cars are passing me on the right using the golf cart lane. When the car in front of me finally made the turn, I started to continue moving forward and found myself abreast of a third car in the cart lane. He wouldn’t yield so I had to stop again so he could pass me.

Today, we were in the golf cart on O’Dell Circle. We were in the roadway waiting for on coming traffic to clear so we could make a left turn. After about a minute or so, a car behind us passed on the right using the golf cart lane. And he was speeding.

Is it legal? What’s the rush?
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

"FS 316.084 – When Overtaking and Passing on the Right is Permitted

(1) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or is about to make a left turn;

(b) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction;

(c) Upon a one-way street, or upon a roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.

(2) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway."

So, yes, it is legal. As to what's the rush, you'd have to ask the other driver. I've had to slam on my brakes in my golf cart to keep from hitting a car using the Morse multi-modal path to pass someone turning left. I've also been passed on the right when turning left onto my street. It's scary and stupid. Some people just have no common sense.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Veteran member

I don't think it's legal. Solid white line...can't pass on the right!! Have found one needs to drive "defensively" here--watching out for both autos and carts! Have heard scarey things ie. people driving while legally blind, taking prescription drugs that inhibit rational thinking and reflexes and more.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Veteran member

I don't think it's legal. That lane is clearly marked as restricted to golf carts and bicycles.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
I don't think it's legal. Solid white line...can't pass on the right!! Have found one needs to drive "defensively" here--watching out for both autos and carts! Have heard scarey things ie. people driving while legally blind, taking prescription drugs that inhibit rational thinking and reflexes and more.
I've never had to drive as defensively since moving here to TV land! Yes, lose your license and voila...you may now drive in a narrow lane next to big motor vehicles who could crash into you any minute while on a cell phone and while driving your little golf cart without seat belt and.....you may be under the influence of your choice and drive from Sumter to Spanish Springs from one happy hour to another. Oh joy of joys! Glad there are so many hospitals around IF you survive! Singing..."OH HAPPY DAYYYYYYY....OH HAPPY DAYYYYY...OH DEAR LORD I'D BETTER PRAYYYYYY....."

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?

Last edited by Tweety Bird; 11-20-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 PM

Lots of info here.

http://flbikelaw.org/2009/12/passing...g-a-bike-lane/

Not sure if it's the same for a golf cart lane. The key thing to keep in mind is safety.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Gold member

This question was asked of Lt Wolfe of Sumter Sheriff's Office and he said it is legal for a car to pass on right if car ahead is waiting to turn left, but the car that is passing must not leave the paved part of road.

Now does that permit the car that is passing to cut off golf carts riding in the lane marked for bicycles and golf carts? That's.another question for Lt Wolfe.

Regarding the white line, it just marks the bicycle/golf cart lane It does not signal no passing. As you travel on Morse Blvd North take note of the number of golf carts that cross the white line and leave their lane to pass slower carts, bicyclists and pedestrians.

The real question IMO, why the rush and need for folks to pass everything and everybody on the road? Where is everyone going that they deem it necessary to speed in order to get there?

Last edited by Hancle704; 11-20-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Sage

If you cut off any motorist in any lane wouldn't that an improper lane change and perhaps failure to yield?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Founder

Recently there was a long discussion here about those lanes. It was reported that the police have allegedly said that cars should use the golf cart lanes in preparation for their right turns. That is to say, as they prepare to turn right, they should drift over into the golf cart lane, stop, then turn.

To which I have said "HOOEY." If in fact that is correct, it is dangerous, stupid and wrong in my opinion.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Recently there was a long discussion here about those lanes. It was reported that the police have allegedly said that cars should use the golf cart lanes in preparation for their right turns. That is to say, as they prepare to turn right, they should drift over into the golf cart lane, stop, then turn.

To which I have said "HOOEY." If in fact that is correct, it is dangerous, stupid and wrong in my opinion.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post

I guess it makes perfect sense to me that a car would move over to the right to make a right hand turn. Cars turning "across" the cart lane would be much more dangerous for carts, I think. The way some folks drive, I don't believe I could trust that they would be watching the right mirror for a cart that might be passing them on the right. When carts are on the streets, they don't turn left from the cart lane; they use the normal traffic lanes, as they should.

Hmmmm.....
Old 11-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Anyone, with any sense, should drive with the assumption that the car in the road on their left might turn right at the intersection in front of you without warning.

You can't trust the competency of the driver of the car and it's better to just give way and under no circumstances be next to a car when going through the intersection.

Your right of way or the automobiles right of way, it's your ass on the line.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I guess it makes perfect sense to me that a car would move over to the right to make a right hand turn. Cars turning "across" the cart lane would be much more dangerous for carts, I think. The way some folks drive, I don't believe I could trust that they would be watching the right mirror for a cart that might be passing them on the right. When carts are on the streets, they don't turn left from the cart lane; they use the normal traffic lanes, as they should.

Hmmmm.....
Memason, you make a good point. It is not necessarily moving to the right to make a right turn that is wrong. It's changing lanes without a turn signal and without yielding to oncoming traffic in the right lane.

So I ask again, if you cut off any motorist in any lane wouldn't that an improper lane change and failure to yield? TH, what say ye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Anyone, with any sense, should drive with the assumption that the car in the road on their left might turn right at the intersection in front of you without warning.

You can't trust the competency of the driver of the car and it's better to just give way and under no circumstances be next to a car when going through the intersection.

Your right of way or the automobiles right of way, it's your ass on the line.
Whenever I'm in the cart lane on a street and I'm about to come to a street on my right, I look to see whether a car is beside me or behind but gaining on me to my left. If so, I slow down to make sure we don't reach the intersection or T exchange at the same time. Why? If the car turned right at that exchange, it would hardly matter whether it turned right in front of me from the car lane or whether it moved into the cart lane in front of me before turning. It would hit me all the same.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

Hmmmm.....
Old 11-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
If the car turned right at that exchange, it would hardly matter whether it turned right in front of me from the car lane or whether it moved into the cart lane in front of me before turning. It would hit me all the same.
I have been cut off more than once. Like others I usually lag back when both me in my cart and a car get to an intersection at the same time.

I actually like the intersections where they make the carts merge into the car lanes. This prevents the cars from cutting a cart off when they make a right hand turn.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.