Cart / Car merge lane on Morse Blvd.

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 AM
Sage

As other posters have noted, do not stop for carts sitting at a stop sign, because the cars behind you do not expect you to stop in the middle of the road. The cart paths have stop signs, and are required to wait until they can safely cross, merge or turn.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

The ideal situation would be for the carts and cars not to have to share the same pavement but what can you do but just take caution. I don't understand the rush either.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
The ideal situation would be for the carts and cars not to have to share the same pavement but what can you do but just take caution. I don't understand the rush either.
I agree.... we should ban cars!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhredd1654 View Post
I'm sorry, but one of the reasons I located here was that the developer touted this as a "golf cart community". Why all the cars? Not sure that the gate attendant is conscious of the cart traffic, but should be. Another good reason for a tunnel.
The gate attendant has another concern greater than the golf carts. In this season, there is enough traffic going north on Morse that it can get backed onto 466. Remember that the cars going north on Morse are followed by those turning onto Morse from 466. It is important to keep that intersection clear as there is a fire station with paramedics there. A golf cart backup on Morse is less a problem.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow1 View Post
The cars have the right of way that's because they are in the lane to begin with and the sign says carts merge ahead. We have a big problem here in the villages with people waving carts to go in front of them at gates and else where. It's simple cars have the right of way unless posted otherwise. Stop waving carts through then they will start driving correctly every were.
actually I believe it says cars and carts merge ahead so at the merge point they share right of way...of course one must always wait for a break in traffic. if it is that busy it will back up at the gate and usually a courteous driver will let the carts through.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 PM

Kindness is as kindness does. Causing a half dozen cars to come to an unexpected stop because someone wants to be kind and let 2 carts cross is more dangerous than just driving through like everyone at that intersection expects you to do. Please don't decide to be both kind and unsafe at the exact same time!!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Kindness is as kindness does. Causing a half dozen cars to come to an unexpected stop because someone wants to be kind and let 2 carts cross is more dangerous than just driving through like everyone at that intersection expects you to do. Please don't decide to be both kind and unsafe at the exact same time!!!!
That's true...you may end up killing the cart driver with kindness if someone rear-ends you and pushes you into the cart that you are waving across.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm one of those cart drivers that refuses to go when a car kindly waves me through at the gates. However, Morse at 466 is an exception. There is too much traffic and it is next to impossible to merge during certain times without help. A car shouldn't stop but slowing down, which they should do anyway so the gate can open, is a great help. I actually try to pop over early and get into the double yellow area. Yes, I know this is illegal but it is so much safer there than on the right and trying to merge at the last second or driving on the road with the cars.

As to crossing to the little wooden bridge, that can be almost suicidal. The gate attendants have been instructed to always let the gate drop between vehicles. If this is done, then carts have a chance to cross. However, they frequently do not let the gate go all the way down, especially for visitors. I've seen carts lined up to the point they are sitting in the traffic lane. But I guess that's better than cars breaking the law and blocking 466.

The reality is this spot is a death waiting to happen. They really need to break down and build a tunnel or bridge. The longer they wait, the greater the risk. The reality is traffic is only going to increase.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Lets see, how long has this crossover situation existed, 10 years - 15 years. Wonder how many accidents? 1, 50, 100 ? Sure not an accident every day , week, month.
Guess it seems to be working.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 AM

One easy cure for the gate, or any of the gates for that matter, would be that only one side could be up at a time. If the visitors side was up the card reader would delay until that side went down. In an emergency the gate attendant would control with an override.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhredd1654 View Post
I'm sorry, but one of the reasons I located here was that the developer touted this as a "golf cart community". Why all the cars? Not sure that the gate attendant is conscious of the cart traffic, but should be. Another good reason for a tunnel.
Not everyone owns a golf cart or two but one day, we will. For now, we get around with our car.

The builder touted this community as a golf cart community and that is exactly what we have here. The tunnel and multi modal path system we have here in TV is like no other anywhere. That is quite an achievement by the builder and I'm in awe of this every day I venture out in my car. I'm more in awe every time I have the opportunity to drive around in a golf cart.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.