Cart Driver who hit bicylist Cited

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default There May Be SomethingAwry Here

People who live outside The Villages may or may not have legal access to The Village streets via a street legal vehicle. However they are not paying amenities fees,miaintenace fees, etc for access to the cartpaths and hence do not belong on them. I suggest those of you who are POA and VHA members need to have this issue addressed. Apparently no one including Community Watch is bothering to check to see if non-residents are entering illegally and using our facilities. Exactluy how many more breaches or the like have been committed? Who is suppose to watch for such violations or breaches? This incident would have never happened but for someone's failure to do their job.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post

People who live outside The Villages may or may not have legal access to The Village streets via a street legal vehicle. However they are not paying amenities fees,miaintenace fees, etc for access to the cartpaths and hence do not belong on them. I suggest those of you who are POA and VHA members need to have this issue addressed. Apparently no one including Community Watch is bothering to check to see if non-residents are entering illegally and using our facilities.
Now pray tell, how in the world would this be accomplished?
Where do you propose the check points should be?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:

People who live outside The Villages may or may not have legal access to The Village streets via a street legal vehicle. However they are not paying amenities fees,miaintenace fees, etc for access to the cartpaths and hence do not belong on them. I suggest those of you who are POA and VHA members need to have this issue addressed. Apparently no one including Community Watch is bothering to check to see if non-residents are entering illegally and using our facilities. Exactluy how many more breaches or the like have been committed? Who is suppose to watch for such violations or breaches? This incident would have never happened but for someone's failure to do their job.
er...he was on the street in an LSV. The roads in the villages are county roads. He can legitimately use his LSV on the road.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Sage

As Bogie pointed out, it would be impractical to limit access to the amenity fee-supported multimodal paths to just residents and guests. Think how many transitions there are from tax-supported streets to multimodal paths.

I would guess that non-resident, non-guest use of the multimodal paths is well less than 1%. As has been stated many times, the Villages is not a true gated community. The streets are public and can be accessed by anyone.

This was a horrible, unnecessary accident caused by someone who should not have been driving. He just so happened to have been from outside the Villages. Could just as easily have been a Villager, renter, or guest.

I don't think we revamp access to our multimodal trails based on this incident. Stuff happens.

My heart goes out to the cyclist who is the unfortunate victim. I hope his injuries heal quickly and completely.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
As Bogie pointed out, it would be impractical to limit access to the amenity fee-supported multimodal paths to just residents and guests. Think how many transitions there are from tax-supported streets to multimodal paths.

I would guess that non-resident, non-guest use of the multimodal paths is well less than 1%. As has been stated many times, the Villages is not a true gated community. The streets are public and can be accessed by anyone.

This was a horrible, unnecessary accident caused by someone who should not have been driving. He just so happened to have been from outside the Villages. Could just as easily have been a Villager, renter, or guest.

I don't think we revamp access to our multimodal trails based on this incident. Stuff happens.

My heart goes out to the cyclist who is the unfortunate victim. I hope his injuries heal quickly and completely.
Well said.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:11 PM

The cyclist is a neighbor of mine and thank God he had no internal injuries to organs but he broke 20 of 24 ribs. In extreme pain but doing a little better.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Veteran member

So sorry he was hurt but glad he is going to be okay. Thanks for the update

Last edited by GatorFan; 03-22-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 03-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
It was not a golf cart, but LSV
So, an LSV can go faster than a golf cart, right? They go too fast for the multimodal trails, in my opinion. The speed limit is 20. I think they should not be allowed on the multimodal trails as long as there is an alternate roadway for them to use.

In this accident, the driver came around the corner too fast and that's what caused the accident. LSVs shouldn't be allowed on the trails.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I saw a good one this afternoon when coming back from playing golf. I'm going down Tamarind Grove Blvd and a guy is in front of me in his cart with his dog running next to the cart out in the street. Since he was only going about 10 mph I passed him way out in the center because I didn't want to spook the dog. I looked at him and said, "That's dangerous", and he looked at me like, what's your problem. The only problem is the dog will end up getting killed and the owner will blame the other person.

My other favorite, is there are two woman bicycle riders that I see going up and down St. Charles on their bikes in the cart lane with their dog on a leash running next to the bike. Again, these people are not real bright!!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
So, an LSV can go faster than a golf cart, right? They go too fast for the multimodal trails, in my opinion. The speed limit is 20. I think they should not be allowed on the multimodal trails as long as there is an alternate roadway for them to use.

In this accident, the driver came around the corner too fast and that's what caused the accident. LSVs shouldn't be allowed on the trails.
There are also carts that aren't LSV's that go over the intended and lawful speed. I see carts all the time that are NOT LSV's that are going way too fast for the paths. Got passed by one today---left me in the "dust" and I had mine floored at 19.9 or whatever it's calibrated at, on a straight away. I always slow down for the curves and have seen folks (generally a guy) whose really giving it on those.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Sage

Bogie Shooter and others,
Thanks for the updates. It's hard to imagine how much pain the bicyclist must be in. My heart goes out to him.

The driver was incredibly irresponsible to drive an LSV after his doctor told him not to operate a motor vehicle. It's tempting to think his driving privileges should be suspended.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM

And ANOTHER accident this afternoon at the entrance to the Hadley pool on O'Dell. A guy riding a bike (he was a guest) was on O'Dell and I'm told he signaled and began to turn left into the parking lot and was clipped by a car going by. She stopped as did other good samaritans. He wound up with a gash in his head, some abrasions and an injured hip. EMS took him to the hospital for a CT Scan. Don't know who was right or wrong on this one, but geez...the cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet...come on people...let's get smart out there!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:

I agree with others, rubicon - I don't know how this could be totally controlled. A couple of other examples:

- Residents of Stonecrest have gated access to the area close to WalMart on 27/441 and thus to the Historic section via the "over the river and through the woods" path.

- When Sandy and I used to come to visit TV and nose around, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express a number of times. Rented a golf cart, parked it in the hotel parking lot at night, and had direct access to SS and points beyond.

I'd suspect the total number of "rogue" cart users is probably pretty mimimal.

Bill
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw14 View Post
OMG Realy????? This guy isn't playin with a Full deck North of his ears
Very sad indeed for the Bike Rider. The Cart Driver obviously was not in ANY control of his Senses.

Gosh driving with a brain injury is not responsible.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Gold member
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

What are we going to do with the other 45k gas carts doing 27+ ??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.