Cart path closing

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

any news on the proposal to allow golf carts to cross 441?

maybe we will (eventually) be able to get to Lowes/Aldi/WalMart in our golf carts that way
Old 08-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Sage

Why would they want to keep people out? There has to be way more to it than just a fence. There's things going on behind the scenes we don't, and may never know. Of course, my first thought goes to the fact that paths lead to properties and businesses not owned by "The Developer." But it is cutting off your nose to spite your face to keep people from coming into The Villages via golf cart to businesses owned by The Developer. What would be the point?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
We were just there in our cart. There must have been 15-20 carts sitting there AND a couple stuck on the other side of this wall!!! These people worked at Walmart and Lowe's and got walled out! How are they supposed to get home now? This is a golf cart community. One woman was in tears because she doesn't have a car and that's where her Dr is !

A VERY bad idea that no doubt will bring in a lot of calls and complaints. What was TV thinking doing this???
I feel bad for the people who don't have cars.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Are there two BkCunninghams?

Did the developers build the wall or did the people who run the hospitals and run the assisted living facility build the wall?

I can't imagine that blocking a golf cart path would be advantageous to us villagers....Does it block Orange Blossom Hills and Country Club Estates AND Stonecrest?

Where is Edvin Mass when you need him to tell us what is happening with the cart paths. Is this the SAME cart path that he was updating us on?

Inquiring minds want to know. Meanwhile carry on with speculation.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:46 AM

As the jingle on The Villages Website goes "The Villages, Florida's Friendliest Hometown"...maybe not! To paraphrase former President Reagan, "Mr. Morse tear down this wall!".
Old 08-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Are there two BkCunninghams?

Did the developers build the wall or did the people who run the hospitals and run the assisted living facility build the wall?

I can't imagine that blocking a golf cart path would be advantageous to us villagers....Does it block Orange Blossom Hills and Country Club Estates AND Stonecrest?

Where is Edvin Mass when you need him to tell us what is happening with the cart paths. Is this the SAME cart path that he was updating us on?

Inquiring minds want to know. Meanwhile carry on with speculation.
There is only one bkcunningham.

The wall is a precast concrete wall panel that matches the existing wall running behind homes in TV now. It was lifted into place with either a crane or a large forklift.

It is at the entrance to TV property.

It is not near Stonecrest.

It isn't the place that Ed was talking about. That was at Walmart. The wall blocks carts from leaving out an existing cart path to the medical facilities and other businesses that run along st. Rt. 441 between Boone Gate and Sonic Drive-In and beyond. Stonecrest residents can no longer come into TV via golf carts through the gate and the path because of the concrete wall.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

well I've just re-read The Daily Sun and there's nothing on it there, so it can't be true :-)

anyway, how best to proceed?

mass civil disobedience - meet in our golf carts at Buenos Aires and keep crossing 441 every time the lights are green?

everyone send an e-mail to VCCDD asking what is going on, and how soon it is going to be fixed?

contact ABC/CBS/NBC saying that "Florida's Friendliest Hometown" and "World's Largest Golf-Cart Friendly Community" has cut its 70,000 golf-cart owners off from their Urgent Care Facility?

oh, I forgot - there is a shuttle from the hospital to that urgent care facility - like you want to wait for a bus when you need urgent care!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Sage

Does this golf cart path that is now walled off go from non-Villages property to Villages property? It certainly is on private property unlike the roadway system which is public property. Maybe it was felt since it is private property that a cart path connecting non-Villages land to Villages land could be a liability issue.

The Villages, itself, is a golf cart friendly community but does not have to connect with non-Villages property via golf cart.

If the people from outside The Villages want to visit on their golf carts to enjoy all of our entertainment - let them move here like we did. If they do not want that, they can use their car and still be very welcome.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:13 PM

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE SHAME...they cut off our access to all the stores and especially the urgent care facility...its not bad enough they are distroying the church to make more money for another savannah center... THIS IS NO LONGER FLORIDAS FRIENDLIEST HOME TOWN.. they people in here then they take stuff away...access to this golf cart path was a huge part of all of our lives...I hope we can somehow find an alternative...
Old 08-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Does this golf cart path that is now walled off go from non-Villages property to Villages property? It certainly is on private property unlike the roadway system which is public property. Maybe it was felt since it is private property that a cart path connecting non-Villages land to Villages land could be a liability issue.

The Villages, itself, is a golf cart friendly community but does not have to connect with non-Villages property via golf cart.

If the people from outside The Villages want to visit on their golf carts to enjoy all of our entertainment - let them move here like we did. If they do not want that, they can use their car and still be very welcome.
Bugs, the new wall stops carts from leaving TV property and going along an existing cart path to The Villages Regional Medical Center East Campus which is Belle Cruz Drive.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:19 PM

I am totally upset about this..we all depend on that path for easy access to stores and lets hope someone comes to their senses...but they are taking the square church away so whats next...
Old 08-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
any news on the proposal to allow golf carts to cross 441?

maybe we will (eventually) be able to get to Lowes/Aldi/WalMart in our golf carts that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Why would they want to keep people out? There has to be way more to it than just a fence. There's things going on behind the scenes we don't, and may never know. Of course, my first thought goes to the fact that paths lead to properties and businesses not owned by "The Developer." But it is cutting off your nose to spite your face to keep people from coming into The Villages via golf cart to businesses owned by The Developer. What would be the point?
seems to me that the developer has insured that if residents want to shop at walmart and lowes, etc they will hafta shop at the ones within the villages rather than the stores convenient to the historic neighborhoods. and the developer has done what can be done to prevent $$ being spent at aldi and any of the restaurants along the now walled-off route.

new job oppty for someone to start a car service with trips to businesses along 441/27!

Old 08-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Default Closing

Do this right. Contact the HOA. the POA , the AAC, the CIC and any other organization that you know to fix this. Who did this and why? Like many many others, I am upset by this.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
seems to me that the developer has insured that if residents want to shop at walmart and lowes, etc they will hafta shop at the ones within the villages rather than the stores convenient to the historic neighborhoods. and the developer has done what can be done to prevent $$ being spent at aldi and any of the restaurants along the now walled-off route.

new job oppty for someone to start a car service with trips to businesses along 441/27!
I said that to my stepdaughter yesterday, njbchbum. She said her heart was breaking for people who don't have cars and who depend on Aldi's----that and she can't borrow a golf cart and go to Sonic anymore.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown View Post
Do this right. Contact the HOA. the POA , the AAC, the CIC and any other organization that you know to fix this. Who did this and why? Like many many others, I am upset by this.
Monday morning will be a day for phone calls and trying to sort out the who and why. We know the when, where and what part of the investigation.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.