Carts damaging the gates.

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Actually, the installation of electric eyes across under the gate would prevent this. It would not allow the gate to come down on top of a vehicle.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

And guess what gate got knocked again and is lying in the divider? Yup, you got it -- poor ole Del Mar Gate. Drive on through folks!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

From the hyperlink it appears that all of the damage is being done by golf carts. If so, why? Any cars involved in these incidents?

Also, I'm wondering if people don't know who or where to call if they do this damage. Some of the "perps" seem to be honestly trying to make repairs or otherwise do the right thing. Perhaps a sign with an appropriate phone number?

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
From the hyperlink it appears that all of the damage is being done by golf carts. If so, why? Any cars involved in these incidents?

Also, I'm wondering if people don't know who or where to call if they do this damage. Some of the "perps" seem to be honestly trying to make repairs or otherwise do the right thing. Perhaps a sign with an appropriate phone number?
JM... You only see golf carts in the video because there is no way to identify the driver/owner.

If a car busts through the gate, the camera will catch the license plate and CW will follow up. It would be interesting to know what percent of gate crushers are cars vs golf carts.

Your second point is valid....honest perps might not know who to call even though they could hit the button on the pedestal to talk to CW. Maybe a sticker on the gate arm or control mechanism that gives a phone number to call for damage or malfunction.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE View Post
Redundancy is a Senior's best friend
LOLOLOL.....you can say that again!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

are you willing to allow your amenity fees to go up to "senior proof" the gates?
Not me.

It would be cheaper to remove the gates and install stop signs. The gates are expensive to maintain and are ONLY a means to slow traffic (unsuccessfully in too many cases).

btk
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
I agree.
We need some heavier duty gates.
If serious damage to a golf cart was the result, people might think twice before trying to run them.
Take a look at the video again. I don't think those people were trying to "run them down". If a heavy gate had been in place a lot of people would have suffered serious injury. Yes, those people would have learned a lesson but at a heavy expense.

I agree "you can't fix stupid". Broken gates are here to stay.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
Actually, the installation of electric eyes across under the gate would prevent this. It would not allow the gate to come down on top of a vehicle.

If drivers knew the gate was not going to come down on them, what would be the incentive to stop?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
are you willing to allow your amenity fees to go up to "senior proof" the gates?
Not me.

It would be cheaper to remove the gates and install stop signs. The gates are expensive to maintain and are ONLY a means to slow traffic (unsuccessfully in too many cases).

btk

When a gate is out of order a temporary stop sign is usually posted. My experience has been those signs are completely ignored. This leads me to the conclusion permanent stop signs would also be ignored.

Because of the design and traffic flow together with people's poor driving habits we have a situation where gates seem to be the logical choice.

Someone pointed out in an earlier thread the there would be an increase in car vs cart accidents if the gates were removed. I agree.

It has been pointed out that amenity fees support the expense of maintaining gates. If enough residents feel strongly enough about removing gates and replacing them with stop signs then they should contact the Committee or the County. (If they are successful my house will be on the market.)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
If drivers knew the gate was not going to come down on them, what would be the incentive to stop?
Maybe stop signs AND a large speed bump would do the trick
Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe require that the exit gates be activated by a card key or button, just like entering.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Maybe require that the exit gates be activated by a card key or button, just like entering.

I agree. The Del Mar gate is constantly being hit and it is due to the gate closing erratically. If you use that gate often you Will find you can often wait a VERY long time before it closes...hence many thinking it is safe to tailgate.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.