Water shut-off valve

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2023, 05:35 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,119 Times in 310 Posts
Default Water shut-off valve

Do none of the houses in Sumter County have a master water shut off valve in the house, or did the plumber just forget to install mine?

I raised the issue at closing, but was told that it is perfectly legal in Sumter County for the only shutoff valve to be the one on the water meter in the yard. I couldn't believe it, but the independent inspector I hired confirmed it.

The house is a seasonal rental, and I've worried about it ever since. Like all the Villages houses, it has those cheap, easily breakable CPVC stubouts. If there's a plumbing leak, there's no way I can expect a renter to fish around in the garage for the special tool, and then figure out which black box in the yard contains the correct meter. And for most of the year, the house is un-occupied. I guess I ought to just turn it off, but I'm there every week or so to mow and I'd have to turn it back on every time just to wash my hands.

Has anybody ever had one of those new smart safety valves installed that can sense a leak, just from the change in water pressure, and shut it off automatically? Amazon sells one that even lets you turn the water on and off with your phone.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,955 Times in 5,345 Posts

Most of the newer houses have a shutoff valve behind a plastic access panel in the wall at the rear of the garage. Are you sure you don't have one? If not, why not just hire a plumber to install a shutoff valve inside the garage?
Old 05-30-2023, 05:54 PM
Sage

Please let us know what village you are in and what model house/villa.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 971 Posts

Not even newer, 15 or 20 years old, the shut off is in garage, about 6 inches off the ground, behind a plastic door
Old 05-30-2023, 09:21 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,907 Times in 3,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Do none of the houses in Sumter County have a master water shut off valve in the house, or did the plumber just forget to install mine?
Been in 50 Sumter County homes in TV...................they all have shut-off valves in the garage.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 568 Posts

It’s behind that box of miscellaneous junk in your garage!
Old 05-31-2023, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Most of the newer houses have a shutoff valve behind a plastic access panel in the wall at the rear of the garage. Are you sure you don't have one? If not, why not just hire a plumber to install a shutoff valve inside the garage?
Easier said than done. The plumbing is under the slab. How would he install this valve in the wall?

And if the inspector couldn't find it in an empty house, either, I'm pretty sure it's not there.

It's a 2008 "Beauregard" courtyard villa in the "Hillcrest Villas" section of Hadley, north of 466a and Morse. I'd bet money there's not a house in that neighborhood with a real shutoff valve.

Last edited by Blueblaze; 05-31-2023 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Easier said than done. The plumbing is under the slab. How would he install this valve in the wall?

And if the inspector couldn't find it in an empty house, either, I'm pretty sure it's not there.

It's a 2008 "Beauregard" courtyard villa in the "Hillcrest Villas" section of Hadley, north of 466a and Morse. I'd bet money there's not a house in that neighborhood with a real shutoff valve.
Good question. Without seeing the plumbing layout, I can think a few possible options. It may be possible to install a shutoff valve at the water heater or at the washing machine, if it is located in the garage. Another option is to dig up the supply pipe to the house and install a valve in the ground just outside the house. I have seen a shutoff valve next to the water heater in older manufactured houses. I would suggest that you get a copy of the construction plans from the county. Typically, the supply pipe enters the house at the rear wall of the garage and is routed up inside the rear garage wall where a valve is installed, and then the pipe is routed back down under the slab. It is possible that there is a valve in the wall, but the drywall guy covered it up without installing the plastic access panel. In that case, you may be able to locate the valve with a flexible scope camera.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:49 AM
Sage

Blue.................I may have missed, but have you contacted Home Warranty or the actual builder of your house (the sub contractor)??

Home Warranty does have the plans for your house and all the contractors.

Let us know what happens.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:57 AM
Sage

Another suggestion is to ask NOVA or other water softener/filter companies if they have installed any systems in that neighborhood, and how did they connect to the water system.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

Good suggestions, I'll check into it, although I have to say I'm a little skeptical, since the inspector and both realtors told me the shutoff valve is not required, and none of them in that neighborhood have them. Those guys would never lie, right?

It would be a long, out-of-the-way run to the water heater on the far side of the garage, or the sink on the back wall, but it's a straight shot to the kitchen. If they were going to put in a valve, you'd think they would do it right where the main crosses the garage wall.

I don't think its worth breaking out the edge of the slab to install one. That's why I was wondering if anyone had installed one of those leak-detecting shutoff valves. I could put that in the ground outside.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
I don't think its worth breaking out the edge of the slab to install one. That's why I was wondering if anyone had installed one of those leak-detecting shutoff valves. I could put that in the ground outside.
I jus replaced my shut-off value.....................the originals are kinda cheap. It would "shut-off", but I would still hear a trickle.

Anyway.................If you can't find one in your home, contact Mike Scott Plumbing for help. They can tell you the best way to get a shut-off installed. MSP is a high quality firm. Good Luck.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,376 Times in 2,324 Posts

Quote:

I raised the issue at closing, but was told that it is perfectly legal in Sumter County for the only shutoff valve to be the one on the water meter in the yard. I couldn't believe it, but the independent inspector I hired confirmed it.

The house is a seasonal rental, and I've worried about it ever since. Like all the Villages houses, it has those cheap, easily breakable CPVC stubouts. If there's a plumbing leak, there's no way I can expect a renter to fish around in the garage for the special tool, and then figure out which black box in the yard contains the correct meter. And for most of the year, the house is un-occupied. I guess I ought to just turn it off, but I'm there every week or so to mow and I'd have to turn it back on every time just to wash my hands.

Has anybody ever had one of those new smart safety valves installed that can sense a leak, just from the change in water pressure, and shut it off automatically? Amazon sells one that even lets you turn the water on and off with your phone.
A quick call to the Sumter County building department will confirm if there was a building code requirement for a water cutoff valve in the house. As noted is some of the previous replies our 2013 vintage house has the cutoff in the garage behind the plastic panel.
If your house truly does not have a cutoff, I would contact a plumber (actually contact several for FREE estimates) to install a valve in a suitable location.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:14 AM

Another idea. Ask a couple of your neighbors on your street, especially ones with the same floor plan as yours. It would be interesting to know if their homes have the shut off valve in the garage, and if so, where is it located. Since those homes were probably built by the same subcontractor, your information about a valve not being installed will be confirmed.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:40 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

I live in Duval and have one in my garage

Tags
water, valve, turn, house, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.