Caveat Emptor (Translation: Buyer Beware)

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Default Caveat Emptor (Translation: Buyer Beware)

We bought our Ranch Home here in November, 05. Last week, I noticed some water on the kitchen floor in front of the refrigerator and thought my husband had dropped an ice cube when filling up the cooler for the golf cart, so I wiped it up and went out to play golf. When I returned, there was a LARGE puddle of water on the floor...and my husband hadn't been home!! I looked in the frig and the whole bottom of it was full of water and so were the backs of the glass shelves. This is one of the "standard" 22 cf refrigerators they put in the "less expensive" homes. I called Home Warranty and was told to call G.E. and if they couldn't help, they gave me the phone number of a local service company they use. I called G.E. and was told they could come on Friday...this was Tuesday!!! I told them that wouldn't work as we already had water seeping under the new wood laminate floor next to the kitchen. I then called the other number they gave me and they had a guy here within an hour. After much effort, he was finally able to remove the back wall of the freezer (from the inside) and found one huge block of ice. He told us the "valve assembly" that is supposed to let water into the ice maker only when called upon to do so, had failed and was slowly dripping water into the back of the freezer and refrigerator. It had been melting and freezing and melting and freezing for quite some time he said...thus the water pooling inside the frig and then leaking out under the door seal onto the floor. He said the part would be $250.00 then the labor charge. We had already paid $78.00 for him to come and diagnose the problem. He said we had to empty the entire unit and leave it open for at least 2 weeks, and a month would be better, to let the foam insulation dry out. He said at that point they could install the new part, BUT...there were no guarantees that it would function properly because the foam could dry into dust and be ineffective. At this point, he told me that this was the 300th PLUS refrigerator like this, with the same problem, that he has seen in TV personally. He said this doesn't include what other service companies have seen. It was his opinion that these were cheap "construction grade" refrigerators, bought in bulk for a cheap price, that TV should have never put into these homes and that G.E. should have recalled all of them.

Needless to say, I had to empty everything out (after just having gone grocery shopping > and cart it over to my neighbor's house (fortunately they aren't here now...being snowbirds) It took me 7 trips in the 90+ heat to accomplish this. THEN...I had to go shopping and buy a new one. That was not an easy task, as very few manufacturers are making appliances in Bisque now AND we had a limited space for it to fit into. We did upgrade to a S x S w/ice and water in the door, but had to go with another G.E. due to the color and size. For reference...Home Depot has this model and at a good price. They said the majority of their appliance business is Villagers replacing defective units.

I really believe that a refrigerator in a NEW home should last longer than 2 1/2 years...don't you???? ???

I have, today, written and mailed a letter to the Warranty Department stating this fact and asking them for some reimbursement of our expenses. I believe they should stand behind what they put into these "quality built" homes and I will keep you posted on what they say...if anything. My letter may just get filed in the ole "cylindrical file"...if you know what I mean!!

Anyhow, homeowners with this model refrigerator/freezer be on the lookout for water pooling under the drawers and on the shelves. Also look for icicles hanging down into the refrigerator portion from the freezer bottom.

Can you imagine what we would have found if we had been gone out of town for any length of time??? I shudder to think!!! :edit:
Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Caveat Emptor (Translation: Buyer Beware)

If you bought a new house 3 years ago in Cleveland or Des Moines or Bangor and you knew the appliances provided in the house were builder grade, would you expect Pulte or Hovnanian to replace a defective box at this late date? I doubt it. Your home came with a warranty, your refrigerator came with an additional warranty. You have been notified countless times with an offer for an extended warranty/service agreement. Like most of us, you have apparently chose to not pursue one of these extensions.

Like you, I bought a ranch in '05. As with any new home I've moved into, I knew the supplied appliances were not going to be top of the line. I've not liked the refrig or the dishwasher. The stove is adequate at best, and the microwave is fine. The ice maker went out and it was repaired under the manufacturer warranty. I won't be crestfallen if the frig and dishwasher go out early. I expect to pay substantially to upgrade both. Might even move the frig to the garage and replace it, but that'll be hard to justify. But I'll likely keep the builder grade stuff either until they die or I just really really really want to upgrade.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Gold member

I agree with you that a refrigerator should last more than 2 2/1 years. I don't care how cheap it is. I just went through a problem with a microwave I purchased for my house in Ark. 19 months later the magnetron tube went out. I paid for the service call to have it replaced under warranty. My book said 2 yr warranty on magnetron tube. It was replaced and six weeks later the same thing. I called the certified recommended service company and they wouldn't replace it because the first tube was never paid for by the manufacture. I won't go into all the details but I wrote many letters and sent copies of everything to the manufacturer. All they wanted to pay for was the payments I made for the service call and the first tube. I finally researched on the web for the president of the company and sent everything plus a letter explaining what had happened. That letter to his attention got results. After five months of complaining, they paid me the cost of the original microwave, the cost of the first tube and the service call. It is a shame that you have to do all that after paying your good hard earned money for anything. They did offer to send a new tube but after two tubes failing I said I wanted to buy a new microwave. Don't give up!! Keep all copies of bills, notes etc. Get names of everyone you talk to plus time and date. I don't think because it was builder quality you should expect anything less than for your refrigerator to work. Lots of times companies know they have a problem with a product but won't actually do anything until you actually complain. I wish you luck.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Platinum member

We bought here nearly seven years ago and not liking GE I was skeptical. Much to my surprise, and pleasure, all GE appliances are still ticking.

DC
Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 AM

Not related to TV but it will show that sometimes the companies know they have a problem with a product but refuse to do anything until they hear that your are treatening them. I bought a pretty expensive mattress at Macy's about 2 years ago. Six monts ago we noticed that the center of the matter had a bump. After numerous calls they sent an inspector who determinted that it was a "matter of comfort" and the there were no deffects. They were not going to do anything. Them I wrote them a letter asking them if you buy a mattress: What else is it except comfort? ( besides other things that people do in mattresses)
I got a full refund and purchased the best in the market. Afterwards I found out two people who had the same mattres:Beautry Rest King Size with the pillow top; who had the same problem. What dont understand is why they aggravate the customers unnecessarily.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 PM

We bought an expensive Maytag washer that was subsequently recalled. It needed major service a few months after we had it, and then barely a year later. We purchased the insurance and keep it insured because the electronic parts are expensive. We were talking to an appliance salesman recently, and he told us he had bought one. He told his store manager that he refused to sell that model because of the problems. It's a problem with mold in the washer (front loader). It washes beautifully - I will say that. The salesman said one customer threatened to bring the washer back and throw it through the store window.

I think purchasing any appliance today is a gamble - you could get a lemon.
New Jersey
Old 07-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Well, I told you I'd let you know if he Warranty Department or GE would stand behind their products and the answer is NO. We didn't even get a reply from the Warranty Office. The least they could have done is acknowledge my letter even if to say they weren't going to do anything. Oh well...just like everything else in TV. Once they get your money you're on your own!!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

Been here 5 years and no problems with my GE appliances. They came with as do all appliances a 1 year warranty and I didn't expect more unless of course I opted for and paid for an extended warranty. The cost of these warranties over the life of the appliance could be more than simply replacing the appliance when it dies.

Good luck..
Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches
Well, I told you I'd let you know if he Warranty Department or GE would stand behind their products and the answer is NO. We didn't even get a reply from the Warranty Office. The least they could have done is acknowledge my letter even if to say they weren't going to do anything. Oh well...just like everything else in TV. Once they get your money you're on your own!!
Patches - I'm with Muncle on this one. I don't understand why this is something you're blaming TV for? GE designed the fridge, GE sold it, and GE won't stand behind their warranty if I am reading your synopsis correctly.
Or perhaps your comment should be expanded - just like everything else in the world, once they get your money you're on your own.
Oh and for the record, I had GE appliances in my prior home for many years, and have GE in TV (3 yrs) and my condo (2 yrs). They are all somewhat upgraded I guess (the "Profile" models), and they have been problem free so far.
I would address this with GE. Try writing to the chairman of the board at corporate headquarters. I've escalated to a number of large companies this way (not as large as GE though) and had great results!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 PM

We bought in 05 also - upgraded refrigerator GE - last Feb. it stopped running and everything thawed out. Had it fixed, and now it is "ticking" and the lights that tell you what the freezer and refrigerator temperature do not work. Can't wait to get another one - and I am having a hard time finding a french door/freezer on the bottom that will fit.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:51 PM

Have you brought this matter to the attention of our homeowner's association ... The VHA?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Platinum member

I built in TV about 7 years ago. Never had any problem with the appliances except for the microwave. This is the standard micro that is in many homes here... nothing fancy. Anyway... about 3 years ago, it "flashed" and stopped working. Called GE and they sent a tech out. Bottom line was that they replaced it with a brand new, more expensive model because the original model was discontinued. It has been fine since. I can't complain a bit.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:12 PM

I don't mean to be negative, but think we need to remember that TV does not MAKE the products in the homes. You should be contacting the manufacturer. Most have a toll free number and if you complain enough they may help.

To the best of my knowledge TV stands by THEIR work, as they should. If they were responsible for all products they BUY they would be out of business or the houses would not be affordable.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:17 PM

Had the same problem.. Mr Fixit ordered a new Icemaker... !50 bucks... did not fix the problem.. Now a Garage Frig. and $900 more for a new one... Ain't life grand
Old 07-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Gold member

A few comments:

1. The developer can't be held responsible for problems of a particular appliance; that's what manufacturer's warranties are for. But yes, even the most basic refrigerator should last more than 2-1/2 years. When we moved into our 3-1/2 year old resale (a Designer that was built with an upgraded refrigerator), the first thing our next-door neighbors told us was to keep an eye on the fridge, as several homeowners in the neighborhood already had had to replace it.

2. The Warranty Department can absolutely be counted on to deny anything and everything if it's after the one-year warranty period, even mistakes obviously and provably made during construction of the house! (I really need to take the time to write out our experience with them, the Building Department, the North Sumter Utility Company, and finally the VHA. It's just that it's a long story and I just have to find the time....)

3. The VHA, in our experience, is a shill for the developer in relation to problems of individual homeowners. I do believe that in other ways they do good work for TV overall, but not regarding individual issues like the one we dealt with or this refrigerator issue. For example, I believe that sineage on golf cart tunnels and the water tower broadcasting weather warnings, to mention two examples, are clearly worthwhile projects that I believe they undertook, but these are things that are publicly visible to all TV residents as well as potential buyers....

Good luck!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.