CBS (concrete,block,stucco) vs Frame

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Veteran member
Default CBS (concrete,block,stucco) vs Frame

My sister purchased a new Gardenia in Aug 2009. She had a 1 yr home inspection done by a former Villages employee. There were some minor problems that the Villages will take care of. But he made a comment that CBS homes had more maintenance issues. (Exterior paint every 5 yrs, Stucco cracking and settling problems) He commented that Frame houses only required pressure washing 1-2 times/yr. We are looking to purchase and have only been looking at CBS. We thought CBS would be better because of Hurricanes and termites ( I know they can still get to interior studs & door frames). Frame houses have alot more wood and I have noticed some of the vinyl siding has faded. Any Comments on which is better !
Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Sage

My husband said the wood frame is better unless you have a Cat. 5 hurricane and then he's dead wrong. Pay your insurance and don't worry about it.

But based on his experience in the construction industry, at the speed the houses in TV are built and considering the concrete foundations and time to cure properly; wood moves block doesn't.

As your foundation settles, the foundation will have cracks. The cracks telegraph right up the blocks and will come through on your stucco. Wood frames are more forgiving.

Fading won't be as obvious on light colored siding.

Two facts in construction: concrete cracks and skylights leak.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Good comments above. We closed on last week of March and on the 4th of July we discovered a crack in the last section of the driveway next to the road. Read the contract and it has to be pretty major crack to be considered a problem, for what it is worth..
Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 PM

One reason the vinyl sided houses have to be washed, with the humidity so high in the morning in the summer and the AC is on, the house sweats like a beer bottle and grows mold and algae. The walls do not have sufficient space on the inside for insulation thick enough to prevent the siding from sweating. The side of the house that does not get direct sun stays wet longer in the morning and shows more grunge. This does not help electric bills.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Gold member

I'm pretty handy and can fix most anything that can go wrong with a frame house. Not so with CBS. I hate repairing cracks in concrete walls and stucco.
I seem to be in the minority but I prefer the appearance of frame. Probably has a lot to do with where I lived most of my life.
My dad was a mason by trade but never owned anything but frame homes. I guess when you work in the business you like to leave the work at the office.

Last edited by bluedog103; 07-23-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
I'm pretty handy and can fix most anything that can go wrong with a frame house. Not so with CBS. I hate repairing cracks in concrete walls and stucco.
I seem to be in the minority but I prefer the appearance to frame. Probably has a lot to do with where I lived most of my life.
My dad was a mason by trade but never owned anything but frame homes. I guess when you work in the business you like to leave the work at the office.
I'm confused. Do you have a stick or CBS house?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 AM

We moved to TVs from the Caribbean, where all desirable homes are concrete (block and stucco). Our Villages home is a B&S seven-year old Lantana, and we have yet to find a crack.

B&S homes are stronger, by far. As to the cracks, if any, we have never considered this a major drawback.

Frame and vinyl (sticks and plastic) homes feel flimsy, in our opinion. Just by pushing in lightly with a finger will make the siding budge!! And if it's hit with a golf ball, the dent will stay.

_________
Old 07-23-2010, 12:44 AM

A cbs is cheaper to heat or ac
Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

The above statement could be correct in some instances, but there are too many variables to say that is always true.

Quality of workmanship, type of insulation, proper ventilation techniques, etc, are all factors to consider. Basically there are good and bad about both.

I personally feel that frame homes are easier to repair and remodel and upgrade down the road. Some will mention a termite issue, but that problem is almost eliminated by proper building techniques and good prevention program.

As to the comment about vinyl siding being "flimsy", proper installation of vinyl is that it hangs on your home to allow for expansion/contraction. If one has a framed home, there are many other options, like Hardieplank concrete type siding, etc. Excellent siding that looks just like painted cedar clapboards. I do not know if it allowed in TV, but it is superior to vinyl in many ways.

I've designed and built my own home, and have been in the construction business for over 30 years. I am currently an ASHI home inspector.

Frank
Old 07-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Veteran member
Default Siding

Thanks for bringing that up, Frank... Does anybody know if there are options, other then vinyl?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Sage

stucco on block
Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats2010 View Post
I'm confused. Do you have a stick or CBS house?
Sorry, a typo made my post confusing. We have a stick house.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Send a message via AIM to smalldog
Default CBS Vs Stick

Smalldog Sez
we had a CBS in Sebastion and had the cards fallen differently we would have prefered CBS here but only because of the storm issue ........ also come to find out almost all the Lightning strikes are on CBS homes ... Don't know why or even if my info is correct

Last edited by smalldog; 07-23-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Sage

Lived 90% of my life in Fla. and always had a CBS (cement block stucco) home until now in TV. I can tell you one less than obvious difference, it is not as sound proof. We can hear our neighbors talking through the walls of both houses. Just got my electric bill though and it is lower than I've ever got in a CBS home in this kind of heat, ($122.) Is a frame home better insulated ?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

It can be, but not always. you can also have a block home insulated well.

Some masons prefer one keeps the hallows of the block open, but there are different ways to insulate both types of homes.....so one cannot say one is always better insulated then the other.

If I were building a home today I would care more about the installation of windows and doors as it pertains to water penetration then weather it is frame or block.........done well, both are good....done shoddy, either could be a nightmare........

Frank

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.