Celebration of Life Advice

Old 05-14-2024, 08:10 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 424 Posts

If you decide to hold it at a rec center, you may want to ask what events are going on in surrounding rooms. I attended a celebration of life and next door there was a karaoke party going on. It was horrible.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,909 Times in 5,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
If you decide to hold it at a rec center, you may want to ask what events are going on in surrounding rooms. I attended a celebration of life and next door there was a karaoke party going on. It was horrible.
I agree. Also, the "country clubs" tend to be noisy, I think by design. Make sure you get a quiet room.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

The Irish would actually have the open casket in the house and get their drink on and by the end of the night people would be telling you all the things they didn't like about the deceased.

It's amazing how alcohol is like truth serum.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
The Irish would actually have the open casket in the house and get their drink on and by the end of the night people would be telling you all the things they didn't like about the deceased.

It's amazing how alcohol is like truth serum.
In vino, veritas.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:18 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,430 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
“Closure” is an overused and ambiguous word and not the purpose of a celebration of life.
You're right in one respect, it sure doesn't give closure which is not an overused word when it comes to losing a loved one, you need a memorial service or funeral to complete the cycle of life.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmano View Post
My father recently passed away and I'd like to plan a nice celebration of life for him. He lived in the villages over 20 years and had many friends. I am looking for ideas for what may be common for someone that was 84 years old - and if there may be people who help arrange for such an event for a fee.
Thanks
I was in a similar position a few years ago with my father. He passed away unexpectedly in another state while visiting family so it was an unusual situation and to compound matters it was during the Covid pandemic and there were still restrictions about large gatherings. Although I could have held it outdoors it was a sensitive subject getting seniors together for any occasion during that time. I had to settle for an obituary in the local paper and contacting friends individually by phone or email. I hope you’re able to arrange something for your dad as it’s a nice way to honor his memory and it also provides closure for family and friends.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:37 PM

His name?
Old 05-14-2024, 01:47 PM

I believe if it is one of the small Rec. centers you can have a memorial for free there.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmano View Post
My father recently passed away and I'd like to plan a nice celebration of life for him. He lived in the villages over 20 years and had many friends. I am looking for ideas for what may be common for someone that was 84 years old - and if there may be people who help arrange for such an event for a fee.
Thanks
If your father belonged to a church here check with it to see if they have a room in which you could have the celebration of life. You may get it without paying a dime. And check with Publix for the food you would like to have, they will trey it up for you. It is possible that the church may have parishioners that may serve the food and drinks for you.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:17 AM
Default Celebration of Life Advice

I lost both my parents in 2022 and our family held a joint Celebration of Life at Heirs Baxley on Wedgewood Lane in The Villages. Ben was a Godsend as he helped us navigate the process as well as allowing us to personalize the service with many different options. It was the one bright spot during an extremely difficult time.

Tags
celebration, years, life, fee, event

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.