Celebration of Life Advice

Old 05-13-2024, 12:11 PM
Default Celebration of Life Advice

My father recently passed away and I'd like to plan a nice celebration of life for him. He lived in the villages over 20 years and had many friends. I am looking for ideas for what may be common for someone that was 84 years old - and if there may be people who help arrange for such an event for a fee.
Thanks
Old 05-13-2024, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,733 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmano View Post
My father recently passed away and I'd like to plan a nice celebration of life for him. He lived in the villages over 20 years and had many friends. I am looking for ideas for what may be common for someone that was 84 years old - and if there may be people who help arrange for such an event for a fee.
Thanks
Try dignitymemorial.com. Their website states that "Honoring a friend or family member with a celebration of life is a profound expression of love. Dignity Memorial® planners are celebration of life experts. We plan more celebrations each year than any other provider, and we know just what to do to create a uniquely beautiful and heartfelt tribute.". From the looks of it they are a funeral home, so there would of course be costs involved. Might be worth a call though: (352) 643-6770.

If you are looking for something more informal (and cheaper, probably) try one of the rec centers near the village where your father lived. Most have rooms that are let out for just such things: birthdays, wedding anniversaries, etc. The rec. centers may also have ideas as to caterers, costs, invitations, etc. as well.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,901 Times in 5,321 Posts

With all due respect, it sounds like a DIY project to me. Who knows more about your father than you? You may want to ask some of his friends for input.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

Apply to have the celebration at a rec center. Have food, pictures of his life, family and friends. Also ask if anyone would like to speak about their relationship with your father. I am sorry for your loss.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,354 Times in 2,075 Posts

Sorry for your loss. My own Dad passed here in Villages in 2020 and had been living here since since June of 2005. A neighbor had gone to heaven farther back than 2020 before Covid and they had Celebration of Life in a room at Colony Recreational Center. It was very well attended. My father missed it though as he had trouble seeing things around crowds. Blind in his one and fuzzy in other.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:27 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,429 Times in 1,471 Posts

I have attended several and I personally feel that it gives no goodbye or closure to the life of your loved one. This is just a personal feeling, I'm sure most people are happy with just a celebration but I don't feel it's enough.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,733 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I have attended several and I personally feel that it gives no goodbye or closure to the life of your loved one. This is just a personal feeling, I'm sure most people are happy with just a celebration but I don't feel it's enough.
Depends.

When Mom died (2012) her "celebration of life" was at my Brother's home north of the Mesabi Iron Range in Minnesota. Those folks who know the culture up there will know what I mean when I say it was probably unlike most others. Mom (or rather her cremated remains) was given the Place of Honor. The celebration began shortly after her funeral, maybe 1:00 PM or so, and believe me, it was a celebration! A food table that would have done a professional buffet proud. Adult beverages abounded, with slivovitz being the favorite tipple. Mom's brother, a professional accordion player, provided the music; interestingly enough the undertaker (Warren), who was also in attendance, had his buttonbox accordion with him so he and uncle ended up playing duets for the better part of the afternoon, Slovenian polkas and waltzes along with some mazurkas and schottisches, much enjoyed by the Priest, also in attendance, who as I recall packed down a respectable amount of slivovitz himself. Mom's "memory board" (sister's idea) was positioned next tgo her urn and numerous toasts were drunk during the course of the festivities in remembrance of this-or-that.

Later on in the afternoon when the "band" was taking a break, my younger brother noticed that the family dog wasn't moving much, and inquired "Warren, if that dog is dead, will you bury it"? Warren agreed. Fortunately the dog was just sleeping off a couple of beers.

Party broke up about midnight.

Mom would have approved. Heartily.

The moral of the story? A celebration of life in my not-so-humble opinion should reflect who the person was and what was meaningful to them: in Mom's case family, church, and the bonhomie of good friends. There was a whole lot of belly laughs at her celebration amid the few tears. As it should have been.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 05-13-2024 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks
Contact room reservations roomreservations@districtgov.org
You can get a gratis room for a celebration of life at a recreation center or call La Hacienda, Sea Breeze, Fenney or Ezell
Old 05-14-2024, 05:14 AM

In addition to a celebration of life, consider a memorial bench in your dad's honor (Village Community Development Districts) placed where his remaining Villages friends can visit and enjoy memories of him. I regularly visit my dad's which is on his favorite golf hole. It was funded by family and friends who appreciated being able to contribute to a lasting memorial. Best wishes during this transitional time.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:06 AM
Default Personal decision

My husband passed in January. I was unsure what to do about a service because we had never discussed what we wanted when we passed. It took me months and decided on a Memorial Service at our church in June. I feel you have to do what you think your dad would want and go with that. If you are a Villager, the rec centers offer the small card rooms at no cost. You can have it catered and I think it holds up to 65? The larger rooms charge a fee and if you plan on a larger number of people that is the way to go. Sorry about your loss.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks
Last year we did it at Arnold Palmer was not very expensive but was phenomenal and they worked with us to use the outside area from 3 to 5. Just speak with the manager. Hope this helps and very sorry for your loss
Old 05-14-2024, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
“Closure” is an overused and ambiguous word and not the purpose of a celebration of life.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkk View Post
Last year we did it at Arnold Palmer was not very expensive but was phenomenal and they worked with us to use the outside area from 3 to 5. Just speak with the manager. Hope this helps and very sorry for your loss
A country club was my thought as well.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:07 AM

Your Dad's church will give him a service and you can do a celebration of life there as well. Most local churchs have church ladies who will provide the food, you provide white boards with photos of his life. People enjoy going to these and just sitting and talking about what he meant to them. It will be a room full of his friends. You can list the date and time in the Villages Daily Sun's Obituary section. So sorry for your loss.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:51 AM

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Most of my questions are practical in nature. My initial thought was a private room at one of the country clubs with an announcement distributed by a couple of my dad’s friends/neighbors I know about. But since I'd also like to include a meal and drinks, I'm not sure how to plan around the uncertainty of how many local friends may show up - or unfortunately how many are still alive.

Tags
celebration, years, life, fee, event

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.