Cell Phone Plan in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Default Cell Phone Plan in The Villages

Our Verizon contract (we love Verizon's network coverage here) has ended and we are looking for a less expensive option. We want good coverage, at least 3GB of data and unlimited talk and text probably.

Looking at Consumer Cellular as one option. Anyone have experience with them? How is the coverage, customer service, etc?

Have heard about iffy coverage with some of the plans/networks.

Any other recommendations? We have Samsung smart phones that we prefer to keep.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Check with the folks over at Cricket Wireless in La Plaza Grande shopping center near Spanish Springs [near Publix].

We use it and have no probs from Maine to Florida - they use AT&T cell towers.

All prices include taxes and fees - nothing extra.

In addition to reviewing carrier coverage maps I have found this site pretty good for identifying the location of towers/antennas wherever we are...AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:39 PM

Thanks, unfortunately it doesn't recognize my address and home is 9 years old! Lol will try some surrounding home addresses.

I've discovered Page Plus seems to be only one on Verizon network.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM

A little info:

Unfortunately most phones are locked into a certain carrier so switching carriers with the phone you presently have can be problematic if not impossible. There are unlocked phones you can buy that work on different carriers depending on the network they use. If you go that route be careful that the phone will work with the carrier(s) that you may go to.

Also with Verizon if you got the phones through a reduced price you were paying a $40 per phone monthly fee. When your contract expires that should drop to $20 per phone.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
Our Verizon contract (we love Verizon's network coverage here) has ended and we are looking for a less expensive option. We want good coverage, at least 3GB of data and unlimited talk and text probably.

Looking at Consumer Cellular as one option. Anyone have experience with them? How is the coverage, customer service, etc?

Thanks!

We had cricket & loved it living in Lake Deaton. We have since moved to Osceola Hills & we never had service with Cricket. We switched to Metro PCS & have great coverage now. Check these two carriers but I would advise checking the coverage map. Neither have a contract so if your not happy there is no obligation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Sage

If at&t has coverage in your area cricket will too. The best value , Imo.

They have an unlimited everything plan for two $80.total.

I like the 5 line, $100 total. 4gb on each line high speed, unlimited low speed.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:18 PM
Sage

Cricket is useless in Pine Hills/Ridge, and Osceola Hills. We switched to Metro PCS. They offer wifi calling ( cricket not ) and 5 bucks per month cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

We have Verizion, and coverage in the Spanish Springs area is bad to marginal at best.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:

Thanks!
First of all, the title of your post seems to assume that a carrier is capable of superior coverage for ALL of TV. You can already tell that is not the case.

We switched from Verizon to Consumer Cellular and love it.

You will NOT be able to use your existing phones. They are not compatible with the CC system which uses AT&T and T-Mobile towers. Even if you change phones, you each can keep the same number, if you want.

We bought new phones from CC. We love the Motorola phones that we have and they were only about $200 each. The CC price was $50 less than the price directly from Motorola. They now have Motorolas for half that.

Originally, we were connected to the T-Mobile towers (not by our choice - we didn't even know the difference). I wasn't happy with connectivity, but the CC Customer Service was great! Then sent us new SIM cards which connected our phones to the AT&T towers and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

As you can see on the CC website, they're rates are very inexpensive compared to Verizon. When we switched about two years ago, we cut our monthly charges in half.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:59 PM

Verizon has a bring your own phone monthly no contract plan with unlimited talk and text and 3GB of data if you sign up for auto payment for $45/mo. ($48 something with tax). I use a Samsung S4. Your old Verizon phone should work. Call Verizon customer service and mention you are/were a Verizon customer are looking at Consumer Cellular and ask what they can offer. Try to keep your old number.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Sage

I would definitely visit the cricket office in Spanish Springs. Cricket is finally now rolling wifi calling.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!
I have the new service offered by Comcast (Xfinity Mobile) and it uses the Verizon network. The cost is $45 per month for unlimited data, talk and text, or a pay as you go plan for unlimited talk and text and $12 per month per gb of data used. You must have Comcast internet service and you must use auto pay. Also, you cannot bring your own phone. So far, I have been very satisfied with the service, and I believe it saves $40 per month as compared to Verizon's unlimited plan.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have the new service offered by Comcast (Xfinity Mobile) and it uses the Verizon network. The cost is $45 per month for unlimited data, talk and text, or a pay as you go plan for unlimited talk and text and $12 per month per gb of data used. You must have Comcast internet service and you must use auto pay. Also, you cannot bring your own phone. So far, I have been very satisfied with the service, and I believe it saves $40 per month as compared to Verizon's unlimited plan.
Can you still threaten to quit Comcast in order to get lower rates.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Platinum member

I have considered this Comcast plan. It is disappointing to read that you must purchase phones. This plan uses the Verizon network. We currently have Verizon. I would think/hope our phones would work.

Last edited by Mleeja; 07-27-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I have considerec this Comcast plan. It is disappointing to read that you must purchase phones. This plan uses the Verizon network. We currently have Verizon. I would think/hope our phones would work.
I think your phone would work, but I still think Comcast requires you to purchase a phone from them. I purchased the Samsung Galaxy S8, and the price was competitive with other providers.
Closed Thread

Tags
coverage, option, customer, service, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.