Cell Phone Questions

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2022, 10:36 AM
Default Cell Phone Questions

We currently have Galaxy S10e phones using Verizon's network. The phones were purchased on their monthly plan over the last 24 months and are now paid for. Our usage bill with Verizon will now be $90/month.

We're contemplating new phones (5G) or keeping these and obviously getting a new plan. Do the 5G phones get acceptable signals in TV? And if so, which carrier is the best? We also spend some time time up north where the Verizon 5G is very localized. Also, we have Xfinity at both locations () and they have a very low cost monthly plan. We use very low data on our phones; normally less than 1GB. Cellular One seems to have decent plans and inexpensive 5G phones as well. Advice on plans and phones are appreciated.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Since there are very few cell towers (I think maybe 2 INSIDE of TV itself) 5G coverage is spotty as is cell coverage in some areas. AT&T here in Amelia is ZERO within 3 blocks of my house. Most towers are on the outskirts. (EDIT: Maybe 3. There is a T-Mobile tower way at the south end near the turnpike) The 2 towers in the area aren't Verizon from what I can tell from the tower map apps so we are on the edge of their signal. . I see 5G about 1/2 the time wherever I am in TV but in truth 5G is meaningless UNLESS you are streaming hi def movies or playing games. I have run SPEEDTEST app dozens of times both with 5G off and 5G on in the same spot and often the 5G speeds are LESS than standard LTE speeds but BOTH are plenty fast for normal use. Based on that I have disabled 5G on my phone since I doin't stream HD movies or play games and 5G uses much more battery. Also, if you are on Verizon's SENIOR PLAN or low end unlimited plan or on one of their MVNO's like Xfinity or US Mobile or Visible your data speeds are very often throttled. I am using an iPhone 12Pro Max on a Verizon MVNO but your Samsung should do just as well. I would suggest downloading SPEEDTEST app or go to SPEEDTEST.NET and check your speeds if you REALLY need 5G. For 90% of users 5G is just advertising BS because (read the fine print) you rarely get what they promise if at all.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 07-24-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,419 Times in 2,075 Posts

We have two newer iphones on the AT&T 55+ plan. We pay about $120 for unlimited talk/text/data. This amount includes $7 towards purchasing the phones (trade-in deal) and $24 for insurance so right around $90/month for the cell service for two phones.

The 55+ plan includes unlimited data but does not include hotspot capability. If you don't use much data you might be able to find a cheaper plan.

Coverage has been good. There may be one or two places where I haven't been able to get a signal but they were inside a rec center or other building. At my house my phone generally prefers wifi calling though I do have an adequate signal.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-24-2022, 11:16 AM
Sage

We switched from Verizon to Xfinity's low cost, l GB data plan two months ago. No problems with reception so far, including time traveling in Texas. They gave DH his first smart phone as part of the deal. Even though he said he would never use a smart phone, he has been converted.

Only problem has been my inability to access the mobile billing account. Will require a trip to their office to straighten out.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,778 Times in 5,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
We currently have Galaxy S10e phones using Verizon's network. The phones were purchased on their monthly plan over the last 24 months and are now paid for. Our usage bill with Verizon will now be $90/month.

We're contemplating new phones (5G) or keeping these and obviously getting a new plan. Do the 5G phones get acceptable signals in TV? And if so, which carrier is the best? We also spend some time time up north where the Verizon 5G is very localized. Also, we have Xfinity at both locations () and they have a very low cost monthly plan. We use very low data on our phones; normally less than 1GB. Cellular One seems to have decent plans and inexpensive 5G phones as well. Advice on plans and phones are appreciated.
I have Xfinity Mobile and my monthly bill is $13.60 for one phone. It uses the Verizon network which is the only cell network I would ever use. I can use up to 1gb of mobile data for that price, but I hardly use any data because almost every place I go in The Villages has a wifi connection. If you exceed 1gb of data, you pay about $12 per gb.

I would definitely buy a 5g phone.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Fast.com is Netflix speed test
Old 07-25-2022, 04:36 AM
Veteran member

Cellular One is the way to go. Soon, there will be a brick and mortar store in Brownwood and one is being added in Lake Sumter.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Verizon reported terrible earnings. The capital requirements are enormous and there is no more cheap money. 5g a pipe dream here. Empty promises to sell phones
Old 07-25-2022, 04:42 AM
Veteran member

Cellular One is the way to go. There will be a brick & mortar store soon in Brownwood, and one in Lake Sumter at a later date. I have 1 gb of data and the reception is excellent and the customer service is top notch. I pay about $22 per month with unlimited talk and text. I will be looking to purchase a new phone when the Brownwood store opens.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Wife and I switched from Verizon to Xfinity mobile a couple years ago. $32 a month. We exceeded the 1gb data limit one time when my wife was running a hot spot for an open house so the bill was 44-46 dollars that month. You Verizon wireless customers are getting ripped off like I was for years. Like the OP stated you have to use another Xfinity service to qualify and you have to have a phone that is compatible or buy another one. Amazing to me they haven’t raised the price yet (probably just jinxed myself)
Old 07-25-2022, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Since there are very few cell towers (I think maybe 2 INSIDE of TV itself) 5G coverage is spotty as is cell coverage in some areas. AT&T here in Amelia is ZERO within 3 blocks of my house. Most towers are on the outskirts. (EDIT: Maybe 3. There is a T-Mobile tower way at the south end near the turnpike) The 2 towers in the area aren't Verizon from what I can tell from the tower map apps so we are on the edge of their signal. . I see 5G about 1/2 the time wherever I am in TV but in truth 5G is meaningless UNLESS you are streaming hi def movies or playing games. I have run SPEEDTEST app dozens of times both with 5G off and 5G on in the same spot and often the 5G speeds are LESS than standard LTE speeds but BOTH are plenty fast for normal use. Based on that I have disabled 5G on my phone since I doin't stream HD movies or play games and 5G uses much more battery. Also, if you are on Verizon's SENIOR PLAN or low end unlimited plan or on one of their MVNO's like Xfinity or US Mobile or Visible your data speeds are very often throttled. I am using an iPhone 12Pro Max on a Verizon MVNO but your Samsung should do just as well. I would suggest downloading SPEEDTEST app or go to SPEEDTEST.NET and check your speeds if you REALLY need 5G. For 90% of users 5G is just advertising BS because (read the fine print) you rarely get what they promise if at all.
Your post hits 100% of my personal experience here. I came in as a Visible customer, changed to a AT&T program, but now back on a Xfinity program. My experience with any 5g data speeds has been horrible. What a gimmick.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:43 AM
Veteran member

TMobile is the way to go. Have not had any problems.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:21 AM

The Villages is a very large area. Some areas have great reception, while others have terrible or unusable service.

And yes, a newer phone will likely be better than an older phone.

That is why you are seeing quite a range of responses, with varying degrees of service.

When we moved to Marsh Bend in 2019, ATT sucked. I didn't change service, and learned to use WiFi calling with my Samsung and spouse's Apple iPhone.
Fast forward to 2021, and service is now great. We are by Lowlands. I've helped neighbors test reception, and I seem to be doing better with ATT. Verizon and T-Mobile aren't as good. The other companies being mentioned are called MVNO carriers, and they piggy back on the ATT, Verizon, or T-Mobile towers.

So in the end, it's location, location, location! Ask your close neighbors to find out who they use, and about the phones they are using.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 07-25-2022, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Plus one!
Old 07-25-2022, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post

If you use less than 1G of data, why do you need 5G service and a new phone?
I have Verizon, 2 phones including a Galaxy 9 (older than yours) unlimited data for $80/ month and no problems.
Closed Thread

Tags
phones, plan, low, verizon, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.