Cell Phone Questions

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2022, 06:35 AM

Mint Mobile 15$ per month includes 4 gig which I use (but have never gone over) when outside of WiFi…..2 phones 30per month - Verizon was 140 per month- rip-off.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:46 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default For what you are paying you could make payments for a used car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
We have two newer iphones on the AT&T 55+ plan. We pay about $120 for unlimited talk/text/data. This amount includes $7 towards purchasing the phones (trade-in deal) and $24 for insurance so right around $90/month for the cell service for two phones.

The 55+ plan includes unlimited data but does not include hotspot capability. If you don't use much data you might be able to find a cheaper plan.

Coverage has been good. There may be one or two places where I haven't been able to get a signal but they were inside a rec center or other building. At my house my phone generally prefers wifi calling though I do have an adequate signal.
cell phones service are over priced
Old 07-25-2022, 06:56 AM
Sage

I pay $15 per month for unlimited text and voice and 4 gigabytes of data. I hardly consider that overpriced and is less than I was paying 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
cell phones service are over priced
Old 07-25-2022, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,780 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
We have two newer iphones on the AT&T 55+ plan. We pay about $120 for unlimited talk/text/data. This amount includes $7 towards purchasing the phones (trade-in deal) and $24 for insurance so right around $90/month for the cell service for two phones.

The 55+ plan includes unlimited data but does not include hotspot capability. If you don't use much data you might be able to find a cheaper plan.

Coverage has been good. There may be one or two places where I haven't been able to get a signal but they were inside a rec center or other building. At my house my phone generally prefers wifi calling though I do have an adequate signal.
Note that the rec centers have free wifi service. Logon once with your Villages ID and golf pin, and you will get automatic access every time you enter any rec center.

Also, if you have Xfinity internet service, you could save a lot of money using the Xfinity Mobile cell phone service and have the Verizon network, which has always been rated the best of the four national networks. My monthly bill is only $13.60.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:05 AM
Default Consumer Cellular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
We currently have Galaxy S10e phones using Verizon's network. The phones were purchased on their monthly plan over the last 24 months and are now paid for. Our usage bill with Verizon will now be $90/month.

We're contemplating new phones (5G) or keeping these and obviously getting a new plan. Do the 5G phones get acceptable signals in TV? And if so, which carrier is the best? We also spend some time time up north where the Verizon 5G is very localized. Also, we have Xfinity at both locations () and they have a very low cost monthly plan. We use very low data on our phones; normally less than 1GB. Cellular One seems to have decent plans and inexpensive 5G phones as well. Advice on plans and phones are appreciated.
Consumer Cellular is great. MUCH cheaper than your current payment. About half for two lines.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

I have both T-Mobile and Verizon. Both are pretty minimal. So I have a cellspot from tmobile in the house which improves it far beyond what i would get inside the house. I also have a verzion extender device that works so-so. Verizon runs a company iphone and not impressed. TM runs the rest of the phones. I have a S22 Ultra, although I no longer buy through the cell service I buy direct, I find it's less hassle and in the long run far less expensive. Wife is changing from iphone12 to S22 Ultra next week. it just works better. Cost well since I'm carrying the world on my TM plan that's 135 for 6 unlimited lines (phones and watches). all the phones, watches and insurance for those is carried through samsung or apple.

The short version is this - no matter who you use it's going to cost you roughly the same amount. Even if you get your phones for free, they aren't. there is always a catch. However I realize some people don't see this either, so I've input my two cents.... good luck!
Old 07-25-2022, 07:20 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

what area do you live in?
Old 07-25-2022, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Note that the rec centers have free wifi service. Logon once with your Villages ID and golf pin, and you will get automatic access every time you enter any rec center.

Also, if you have Xfinity internet service, you could save a lot of money using the Xfinity Mobile cell phone service and have the Verizon network, which has always been rated the best of the four national networks. My monthly bill is only $13.60.
Thanks for the info.

I have used the rec center wifi a couple of times but I typically don't think of it.

I may look into Xfinity mobile. Their pricing today starts at over $60/month for two phones. While this is cheaper than what I currently have, my current package is getting me $1,600 worth of phones for about $200 total. I'll have to see what Xfinity offers for phone upgrades.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-25-2022, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

What I found out is that often if you have a specific model cell phone that you got from one service provider it most likely will not work with another provider. Nothing wrong with Verizon but your phones may not be compatible with any other provider.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We’ll get whatever you want but the last 3 yrs.in TV Verizon for us was terrible. We & some neighbors had to go to the end of our driveway to keep connected. After we were told Verizon was going to put another tower near Charlotte village it never happened. We now live in Texas & presently use T-Mobile which was terrible in TV, plus only paid $23. a month but with 2 phones $46. a month, unlimited everything. Couldn’t see $150. a month for 2 Verizon phones.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

If you are using a cell phone as a text and phone device and want to select your own data use, and no contract, just monthly take a look at tello.com. I pay 10/mo for 1 gb and unlimited text/calls. It uses almost any unlocked GSM phone, either buy one from them or use your existing unlocked phone, and the uses the t-mobile network which seems to work well.
If you are going somewhere and will be needing more data for that month, you can up your plan for that month,unlimited is 29/mo and then drop down again the next.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsocrates View Post
If you use less than 1G of data, why do you need 5G service and a new phone?
I have Verizon, 2 phones including a Galaxy 9 (older than yours) unlimited data for $80/ month and no problems.
And even much better if you are using less than 1G a month, why isn't everyone on Xfinity Mobile at $12.00 a month. Wife and I share 1G and it is a screaming deal! On the rare occasion we go over 1G the months bill is $30.00 total with taxes. We have saved thousands over the 4 years we have been on this plan.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I have used the rec center wifi a couple of times but I typically don't think of it.

I may look into Xfinity mobile. Their pricing today starts at over $60/month for two phones. While this is cheaper than what I currently have, my current package is getting me $1,600 worth of phones for about $200 total. I'll have to see what Xfinity offers for phone upgrades.
In the past, you needed to log on to the rec center wifi every time. But, now it will automatically reconnect you every time you enter any rec center.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
And even much better if you are using less than 1G a month, why isn't everyone on Xfinity Mobile at $12.00 a month. Wife and I share 1G and it is a screaming deal! On the rare occasion we go over 1G the months bill is $30.00 total with taxes. We have saved thousands over the 4 years we have been on this plan.
I've seen two posts about $12 Xfinity service and the post above seems to imply that is for two lines. When I go to their website they advertise $15/line for 1Gb of data. Is there a special deal I am missing?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-25-2022, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
I've seen two posts about $12 Xfinity service and the post above seems to imply that is for two lines. When I go to their website they advertise $15/line for 1Gb of data. Is there a special deal I am missing?
My total Xfinity Mobile bill is $13.60 per month, including taxes, as long as I don't exceed 1gb of data. If I use more than 1gb, I am charged a "by the gb" price which is about $12 per gb, but I have never exceeded 1gb. You can also subscribe to an unlimited data plan. Note that, there seems to be a lot of Xfinity Mobile wifi hotspots in The Villages, so I often don't even use any mobile data. So far, this month, I have only used 223 mb of data, and the month is almost over.
Closed Thread

Tags
phones, plan, low, verizon, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.