Cell phones in restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema54 View Post
I say let them talk. It could be good news, could be bad news, most of all it could be the last time they get to talk to each other. You can't count on there being a tomorrow so enjoy today. Enjoy the limited time you have left in this world.

Profound. Never thought of it this way.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

It's just a simple case of manners. I obviously can't speak for all who posted here but I don't believe anyone is suggesting you should never use you cell phone any where any time in public. I think it's certainly more impolite to talk incessantly on a cell phone in a restaurant than wearing a hat. Clearly there are times necessary to talk and text on your cell phone in a restaurant, but many more times where courtesy to others would dictate you excuse yourself. IMO the most guilty have an extremely inflated sense of self worth.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Originally Posted by hema54 View Post
"I say let them talk. It could be good news, could be bad news, most of all it could be the last time they get to talk to each other. You can't count on there being a tomorrow so enjoy today. Enjoy the limited time you have left in this world."

They can still step out of the room so others don't have to "enjoy" the time they have left too!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:35 AM
Veteran member

If I must communicate while in a public place, unless it is an emergency, I either text or wait until I'm in my car. Why bother others?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 AM

I would rather see the hat on his/her head then on the table or the bar...I've seen that many times as I was a bartender for 30 years and that is so unsanitary and so are purses as they are laid down on dirty floors etc. and then they lay them down on a table or a bar...yuck !!!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Platinum member

I'm sorry but many need to get over it. Cell phones are a fact of life that will not go away. Deal with it. Dinner tastes the same whether the conversation at the next table is face to face or over a cell.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
It's just a simple case of manners. I obviously can't speak for all who posted here but I don't believe anyone is suggesting you should never use you cell phone any where any time in public. I think it's certainly more impolite to talk incessantly on a cell phone in a restaurant than wearing a hat. Clearly there are times necessary to talk and text on your cell phone in a restaurant, but many more times where courtesy to others would dictate you excuse yourself. IMO the most guilty have an extremely inflated sense of self worth.
Well said!

No one cares if you're speaking in a normal volume.
At least texting they're quiet.

We ALL need to just be more courteous to those around us.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I'm sorry but many need to get over it. Cell phones are a fact of life that will not go away. Deal with it. Dinner tastes the same whether the conversation at the next table is face to face or over a cell.

Quite the contrary, ambiance is an important part of a meal. The people who need to "get over it" are the arrogant ones who think they are entitled to their poor manners.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Platinum member

Whatever happened to "live and let live "? Tolerance would be so amazing. It's a phone call. Deal with it.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Sage

I am dealing with it. I'm expressing my disgust over arrogance and poor manners. And I'm entitled to my opinion without receiving rancorous comebacks.

In my opinion, your idea of tolerance sounds like chaos. What tolerance do those carrying on loud cell phone conversations in restaurants have for the people around them?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Platinum member

I'm entitled to my opinions as well and honestly feel this is a
non-issue. People do what people do. We're not exactly talking about murder or anything else life or property threatening. Life has inconveniences and we need to ignore and move on.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I find that if someone at the next table is talking on a cell phone (always loud) or talking to their own companions in a loud voice (heaven forebid their whole table talks loudly), the conversation at our table pretty much stops. We aren't hard of hearing, but it's just not comfortable trying to talk in that situation.

We had visitors and took a little road trip, about an hour's drive. One of them took out a cell phone, called her sister and talked in the typical cell phone voice for about 20 minutes. The rest of us just.....nothing! We couldn't talk at all. I was floored!!

I don't know where I learned it, but common sense dictates that when you are in public, such as a restaurant, you speak in your "inside voice". I personally don't want strangers listening to me.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Daily Run View Post
I would rather see the hat on his/her head then on the table or the bar...I've seen that many times as I was a bartender for 30 years and that is so unsanitary and so are purses as they are laid down on dirty floors etc. and then they lay them down on a table or a bar...yuck !!!
EWWWWWW!!!! I never thought about that and now you've stuck that in my head forever.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Default Was that me?

That might have been me, sorry, why didn't you come up and introduce yourself?? lol
Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 AM
Default Jammer

I saw one in action. Yes they are illegal. I was at an automotive garage. A guy had one and hit the button. All cell phones were inoperable. It even messed up the garage phone. The owner had to do a reset. Slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.