Cell service in TV South

Old 04-27-2024, 07:47 AM
Default Cell service in TV South

We're near 470 & TP, and often only have 1-2 bars, calls in/out break up, we have Verizon, and looking for options. I stopped by a Verizon office and complained about it. They told me that TV would not let them place towers because they were considered an eyesore. IMO, so are the power stations, power lines, etc., but we have them anyway. Verizon said I could call 611 for a "micro tower" which basically uses my residential internet to provide a stronger signal (I'm guessing basically VOIP). Obviously, this doesn't help away from home, and I don't know how far away I can get from the house before I lose its benefit. Are there any cell service providers that actually have tower coverage in the south? FWIW, I can see a tower from my house toward the TP, assuming not Verizon's. I wonder if TV is really limiting cell tower access...
Old 04-27-2024, 08:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justputt View Post
We're near 470 & TP,... FWIW, I can see a tower from my house toward the TP, assuming not Verizon's. I wonder if TV is really limiting cell tower access...
I can't speak to if Verizon was accurate, but around 470 & the Florida turnpike are swathes of land not owned by the Villages development, they would have no say about cell tower placement in those areas.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:07 AM
Sage

Assuming you have internet access with a Wi-Fi enabled router, turn on Wi-Fi calling on your cellphone. I am also assuming you have a reasonably contemporary cellphone. You should have good results inside your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justputt View Post
We're near 470 & TP, and often only have 1-2 bars, calls in/out break up, we have Verizon, and looking for options. I stopped by a Verizon office and complained about it. They told me that TV would not let them place towers because they were considered an eyesore. IMO, so are the power stations, power lines, etc., but we have them anyway. Verizon said I could call 611 for a "micro tower" which basically uses my residential internet to provide a stronger signal (I'm guessing basically VOIP). Obviously, this doesn't help away from home, and I don't know how far away I can get from the house before I lose its benefit. Are there any cell service providers that actually have tower coverage in the south? FWIW, I can see a tower from my house toward the TP, assuming not Verizon's. I wonder if TV is really limiting cell tower access...
Old 04-27-2024, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

I have Verizon also and at our home in Lake Denham we didn't seem to have much issue. But I do recall some issues in certain areas, like even at the Dabney pool (IIRC, I'm only part time for now).

Anyhow, just for fun I checked T-Mobile 5 G coverage and they show our area has 5G ultra capacity coverage. If they have that coverage and are saying we can get internet, you may have much better luck with them. Not sure where their tower is, but I believe 5G needs closer towers than 4G. Here's a link you can check. I have no experience with them in the Villages so I'd seek others input also. I can say back in MA I had T-mobile 4g internet before cable was available (only 2 years ago) and it was very good.

4G LTE & 5G Coverage Map - Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile
Old 04-27-2024, 09:16 AM

Unnecessary worry about number of bars ?
I live plumb middle of The Villages for the past 3 years. Had Verizon with 1 sometimes 2 bars.
Switched to another cell access provider, surprise - also uses Verizon towers and still has 1 sometimes 2 bars.
But, have never had an issue with bad phone calls, calls dropped, nor any other problem.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:43 AM
Gold member

On one hand it seems like a Verizon monopoly issue

On the other hand, as far as tower placement, siting one seems to be a NIMBY one

Maybe the District Rep(s) could engage on this one...
Old 04-27-2024, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
Unnecessary worry about number of bars ?
I live plumb middle of The Villages for the past 3 years. Had Verizon with 1 sometimes 2 bars.
Switched to another cell access provider, surprise - also uses Verizon towers and still has 1 sometimes 2 bars.
But, have never had an issue with bad phone calls, calls dropped, nor any other problem.
I’m with you I don’t know why people worry about the bars .I rarely have more then 3 and sometimes less,right now in my home I’m looking at 2, I can’t remember the last time I had a dropped call on my phone so why the worry
Old 04-27-2024, 11:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,683 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Assuming you have internet access with a Wi-Fi enabled router, turn on Wi-Fi calling on your cellphone. I am also assuming you have a reasonably contemporary cellphone. You should have good results inside your house.
Yes, turn on wi-fi calling.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

We live near the turnpike and have Xfinity - No problems..
Old 04-28-2024, 05:14 AM
Veteran member

2 problems. You live near the turnpike and you have Xfinity. 😳
Old 04-28-2024, 05:17 AM

I asked the District Manager why there were no cell towers in TV. He told me there is a law restricting towers in age-restricted communities. So far as Verizon, we had the same situation when we moved into Fenney. We called Verizon customer service (not the retail stores), explained the situation to them and they provided us with a network extender on a free lease. Plug in the power cord and connect it with an ethernet cord to your network router, set your phone for wireless calling, and you will have a cell tower in your home.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbajeda View Post
I asked the District Manager why there were no cell towers in TV. He told me there is a law restricting towers in age-restricted communities. So far as Verizon, we had the same situation when we moved into Fenney. We called Verizon customer service (not the retail stores), explained the situation to them and they provided us with a network extender on a free lease. Plug in the power cord and connect it with an ethernet cord to your network router, set your phone for wireless calling, and you will have a cell tower in your home.
So....assuming the ‘law’ is in place for health reasons and not aesthetics? If it we’re for the former, putting a ‘cell tower in your home’ sounds like a great idea!
Old 04-28-2024, 06:01 AM

Consumer Cellular and no problem wherever I go.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

Justputt...go to either of 2 Consumer Cellular offices here in the villages. Great reception, customer service and convenient too
Old 04-28-2024, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

There are cell towers in TV, 1 near warm springs and meggison. We switched from Verizon to t-mobile when we moved here and cell service now is better and it’s 5g where we couldn’t get 5G under Verizon. We live about 5 miles from 470.

Tags
tower, cell, verizon, power, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.