Central Air Conditioner's Condensate Drain Line

Old 05-26-2024, 05:17 PM
Default Central Air Conditioner's Condensate Drain Line

Heard a new one last week...a friend's drain line was clogged due to a dead frog who got stuck in the drain; their AC started overflowing into the house while they were gone for a few days...of course, they came home to a mess.

Does anyone have a screen or flappable door over the drain line?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6345.jpg
Views:	3571
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	104271  
Old 05-26-2024, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayerose View Post
Heard a new one last week...a friend's drain line was clogged due to a dead frog who got stuck in the drain; their AC started overflowing into the house while they were gone for a few days...of course, they came home to a mess.

Do a search for this thread, "Screen for HVAC Discharge".

Although, if the float switch in the condensate drain pan was operating properly, the HVAC unit should have shut down, and there would have been no flood damage.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:58 PM
Default screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayerose View Post

here is a link to amazon screen for 3/4" pipe. I don't remember what size the pipe is?

Amazon.com
Old 05-26-2024, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,217 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post

Although, if the float switch in the condensate drain pan was operating properly, the HVAC unit should have shut down, and there would have been no flood damage.
Our old HVAC system did not have that shut off valve if the condensation drain line gets clogged. Found out the hard way. Our new system does have it though so that gives up peace of mind.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,082 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:

Older units don’t have float shut off. The heard from friend didn’t mention how old unit was.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:47 AM

I purchased washing machine screens from Home Depot, 2 for about $4. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exact-Re...M112/325498240
Old 05-27-2024, 07:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,245 Times in 778 Posts

Go to Lowe's and pick up a 3/4 inch cap for PVC pipe, drill lots of little holes in it, and stick it on.... keep lizards out also.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Go to Lowe's and pick up a 3/4 inch cap for PVC pipe, drill lots of little holes in it, and stick it on.... keep lizards out also.
That could work, but I would be concerned that it would clog with mold or other debris. Whenever I flush out the drain pipe, I get a lot of gunk.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:29 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,455 Times in 1,485 Posts

Quote:
That could work, but I would be concerned that it would clog with mold or other debris. Whenever I flush out the drain pipe, I get a lot of gunk.
If you run a gallon of hot water through the drain pipe monthly you shouldn't have any gunk in there. If you want to be sure add a little vinegar.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:40 AM
Default White Slime Can be bigger Problem than Frogs or Anoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If you run a gallon of hot water through the drain pipe monthly you shouldn't have any gunk in there. If you want to be sure add a little vinegar.
I agree with RG123 that any thing you install needs to be easily removable and re-installable to be able to flush out the line completely. In my case my ac drain line plugged due to white slime...a gelatinous substance that was essentially a biofilm. It took 15 minutes for the wet/dry vacuum to suck out the white slime followed by a hot water wash. White slime forms in dark, cool, damp atmosphere which describes you AC condensate drain system.

I now use the vinegar wash, warm water rinse monthly as per above. So far no more drain issues for about 8 months

If your thermostat suddenly goes blank, your condensate line has blocked up and the water sensor in the condensate pan has shutoff the power to the AC unit.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,561 Times in 2,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ton80 View Post
I agree with RG123 that any thing you install needs to be easily removable and re-installable to be able to flush out the line completely. In my case my ac drain line plugged due to white slime...a gelatinous substance that was essentially a biofilm. It took 15 minutes for the wet/dry vacuum to suck out the white slime followed by a hot water wash. White slime forms in dark, cool, damp atmosphere which describes you AC condensate drain system.

I now use the vinegar wash, warm water rinse monthly as per above. So far no more drain issues for about 8 months

If your thermostat suddenly goes blank, your condensate line has blocked up and the water sensor in the condensate pan has shutoff the power to the AC unit.
Mine went three years with no flushing before it plugged. I believe it was the white slime but it was very dark when I cleared it to get it running again. Since then I flush it with a gallon of water monthly. Two years and no problems yet.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-27-2024, 11:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,245 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
I didn't glue mine on, just pushed it over the 3/4 inch pvc pipe, it snaps off for when you want to flush out the system.... snaps back on when done.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,347 Times in 2,860 Posts

A small piece of fiberglass screen and a zip tie should do the trick.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
I didn't glue mine on, just pushed it over the 3/4 inch pvc pipe, it snaps off for when you want to flush out the system.... snaps back on when done.
I assumed that you didn't glue it on. My concern is that, if the holes are too small, they could become clogged with debris or insects seeking a water source, unless the outlet was frequently maintained. That is why the Amazon type product would be more reliable. Some homeowners neglect doing maintenance until it is too late. But if it works, it works.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,082 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quickly way I found is blow it out with water pressure. Takes me less than 4 mins all I got to do hook up water hose to my adapter, close off ball valve that I installed above the y-tube (so water back pressure won’t up tube as it blown out other end) turn 60 psi water spigot on for less than minute, done. If interested do search in “do it it yourself” about 5 pages down

Tags
drain, line, central, days, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.