Century Link Doubled my Bill this morning

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Sage

Met Nucky @ the store--don't like the equipment Xfinity uses--really love wireless boxes-anything that lessens the wire clutter, makes life easier and when we have a guest--we transfer the TV to the guest bedroom

may stick with CL,too
Old 06-04-2018, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
The $45 for life is what we have, but I don't know how long CL will actually honor it.
I wish CenturyLink in TV wasn't so darn outdated for Internet service. I was told I couldn't expect more than about 10mb - 12mb. In snowbird land, I get 60mb service for $45 per month.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Sage

Some of the older sections might still have DSL (older copper-based broadband technology) but most of The Villages has fiber optic cable to the house with CenturyLink - the latest and greatest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
I wish CenturyLink in TV wasn't so darn outdated for Internet service. I was told I couldn't expect more than about 10mb - 12mb. In snowbird land, I get 60mb service for $45 per month.

Last edited by biker1; 06-04-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:45 AM

get a Roku for your other 4 tv's. Simple!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:00 AM

I have xfinitey internet only for $39 per month for 1 year contract. It will go up to over $70 in one year unless I call and try to renegotiate. I may go to Centurylink with the life lock in price just to not have to renegotiate every 11 months. You need to check fine print in contract.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:21 AM

What many folks aren't aware of is that if you "contract" for internet only, there are no extra costs/fees on your monthly bill - not even tax. As soon as you sign up for TV of any tier level, several fees and additional costs are added onto your monthly charge. Internet only is the service I have in Pittsburgh, as well as our house in Tall Trees … $69 for FIOS 75mbps in PIT (Very hi-tech "ac" gateway provided @ no adnl cost) and $45 for Xfinity 100 mbps in TV (Very hi-tech "ac" gateway provided @ $11 adnl = $56 cost/mo. ). A "gateway" is the new term for a combo cable modem/wireless router w/ 4 ethernet ports also on mine. The $11 rental seems a bit high to some, I'm sure, vs buying your own, but I am a snowbird and suspend my service for almost half the year for $8/mo. charge (NO modem rental fee during the suspension). Incidentally, Xfinity reduced my "auto-pay" bill by $5/mo. with no action on my part and any interaction I had with the company was very pleasant. At first they said I had to have an installer for $60 since I was a new customer but I enrolled online and signed up for the "self-install" package and obviated that cost. My telephone is VOIP, MajicJack which I carry back and forth for "same phone number" tele service. I don't watch much TV (I prefer to watch life happening) but my wife & I enjoy a good movie, what few there are these days and we have Amazon Prime and Hoopla (free movie streaming) from Sumter Library as members, even here in PIT - https://www.hoopladigital.com/
We have some smart TVs and others with streaming devices. I haven't tried YouTube movie subscription but I LOVE the political channels and documentaries they have on the regular site.

FredF

Last edited by ffresh; 06-04-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: adnl info
Old 06-04-2018, 08:39 AM

What ever you do don't sign up with Century Link, they are even worse than AT&T
Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage

I have not made the switch from CL to xfinity yet. I'm still looking at my options. Does anyone know if a actiontec c1000a that is made for century link will also work with xfinity? It looks like it won't.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Default Go with comcast

I was getting the total run around with century link! 5 different people, 5 different quotes! Had a. I’m cast rep out to the house and he got us all set up with no contract for a much cheaper rate and I have a person to call if there are any problems. He even paid to the set up fee himself.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I have not made the switch from CL to xfinity yet. I'm still looking at my options. Does anyone know if a actiontec c1000a that is made for century link will also work with xfinity? It looks like it won't.
https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

just enter your zip code and anticipated speed you desire!

FredF
Old 06-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffresh View Post
What many folks aren't aware of is that if you "contract" for internet only, there are no extra costs/fees on your monthly bill - not even tax. As soon as you sign up for TV of any tier level, several fees and additional costs are added onto your monthly charge. Internet only is the service I have in Pittsburgh, as well as our house in Tall Trees … $69 for FIOS 75mbps in PIT (Very hi-tech "ac" gateway provided @ no adnl cost) and $45 for Xfinity 100 mbps in TV (Very hi-tech "ac" gateway provided @ $11 adnl = $56 cost/mo. ). A "gateway" is the new term for a combo cable modem/wireless router w/ 4 ethernet ports also on mine. The $11 rental seems a bit high to some, I'm sure, vs buying your own, but I am a snowbird and suspend my service for almost half the year for $8/mo. charge (NO modem rental fee during the suspension). Incidentally, Xfinity reduced my "auto-pay" bill by $5/mo. with no action on my part and any interaction I had with the company was very pleasant. At first they said I had to have an installer for $60 since I was a new customer but I enrolled online and signed up for the "self-install" package and obviated that cost. My telephone is VOIP, MajicJack which I carry back and forth for "same phone number" tele service. I don't watch much TV (I prefer to watch life happening) but my wife & I enjoy a good movie, what few there are these days and we have Amazon Prime and Hoopla (free movie streaming) from Sumter Library as members, even here in PIT - https://www.hoopladigital.com/
We have some smart TVs and others with streaming devices. I haven't tried YouTube movie subscription but I LOVE the political channels and documentaries they have on the regular site.

FredF
You seem to have a much better grasp of the subject then I do. And by helping me you may also be many others as well. If I switch to xfinity I will get internet and xfinity
Instant TV.
"Xfinity Instant TV is a cable TV streaming service that lets you watch live TV from broadcast and popular cable networks on your computer, tablet, smartphone or Roku Streaming Player. ... Stream TV Go content on any wireless or WiFi network anywhere in the U.S."

At first I thought InstantTV is an internet service like youtube but now I see it's a cable service. Am I correct?

Right now I'm paying CL $86 used to be $43 for up to 50 MB speed and another $35 to direct tv for stations. It looks like if I switch to Xfinity I'll have all that and more for around $40/month. I don't trust any of them so I'm sharing here to try and see what tricks they might pull. I swear it's like playing hop-scotch on a minefield.
thank-you Fred

[the xfinity offer is as follows:
Xfinity Instant TV is a cable TV streaming service that lets you watch live TV from broadcast and popular cable networks on your computer, tablet, smartphone or Roku Streaming Player. ... Stream TV Go content on any wireless or WiFi network anywhere in the U.S

here is the promo they offered me:
Xfinity Instant TV and Performance Starter Internet
34.99 dollars per month
$
99/mo
for 12 months
with 1-Year Agreement.
$29.99/mo. for 12 mos. with 1 year agreement and autopay and ecobill enrollment.
Check Availability
Pricing & Other Info
Base Package
Internet
TV
Other Info
Base Package
INTERNET
Up to 25 Mbps Download Speeds

TV
10+ Channels
Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 AM

Went through the same thing with them increasing my bill $100. Said the welcome discounts had ended. Went with Spectrum for TV,PHONE AND COMPUTER for $135
Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 AM

At first I thought InstantTV is an internet service like youtube but now I see it's a cable service. Am I correct?

YES it's a cable service offered by Xfinity/Comcast if you subscribe to their TV service. If you are a fan of watching TV and don't mind watching on "small devices", e.g. laptop, smartphone, etc. then it is an added value; for me … I don't watch much TV on my 55", so, no thank you YMMV

Right now I'm paying CL $86 used to be $43 for up to 50 MB speed and another $35 to direct tv for stations. It looks like if I switch to Xfinity I'll have all that and more for around $40/month.

Don't forget the additional fees and taxes on top of the regular charges - they mount up quickly, are not quoted initially and must be paid every month as well. For example, taxes, broadcast fee, a charge associated with receiving local network affiliates, regional sports fee (which pays for regional sports networks) STB (set top box) and Digital Adaptors (other TVs) rentals, and on and on. That's another reason I opt for internet only and stream my own media - what little I desire. In PIT I have an attic antenna and HD Homerun to provide HD broadcast TV to other TVs

HDHomeRun - Watch TV anywhere in your home

Beating Comcast and Cable Fees with the HD HomeRun Prime - Windows Media Center, and Xbox 360 - YouTube

FredF

Last edited by ffresh; 06-04-2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-04-2018, 10:44 AM

Sure wish I knew what an "incognito window" is, $35 a month for TV AND Internet ? I have Comcast, TV and internet, I have two TV's so pay quite a lot extra for the DVD and the "special" box it requires (?) for the 2nd TV. Asked if this was necessary (attempting to lower the $140 a month price), they said I could go back to basic TV and that would not include HD channels or DVD services, would be $96 a month and yet, total would still be $119 with the various "taxes" and also charges for "sports" (which I don't watch and can't figure out since I thought charges for sports is an individual choice/add-on. Someone mentioned they knew a person in the V's who has an old fashioned antenna like we all had as kids... is that an option ? Do you only get the 3 or 4 channels from Orlando with an antenna ? Sorry to say, but just hate all this constant changing of equipment, providers, etc. ! !
Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Unfortunately, all the Cable companies are alike and they play the same “games”. It’s frustrating and time consuming to deal with such “games”.

I’m not a fan of regulation but beginning to think, since these services have become a necessity to most people, and there is little or no real competition, perhaps they should be regulated like any other necessary utility.

Tags
bill, internet, doubled, morning, survive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.