Selling our water supply

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2016, 02:30 PM
Gold member
Angry Selling our water supply

I am concerned that I have seen very little comment about the private company who has a petition submitted for approval to bottle and sell Sumter County spring water.

Their plans are to pump and bottle nearly 500,000 gallons during the low season and nearly 1,000,000 during high demand seasons. I am shocked that the decision making powers to be would even consider approving such a plan. Almost every year water restrictions are imposed on we Villages and it is outrageous to think they would allow our water to be bottled and sold. Without ample water supply, the Villages would become a ghost town over night.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
I am concerned that I have seen very little comment about the private company who has a petition submitted for approval to bottle and sell Sumter County spring water.

Their plans are to pump and bottle nearly 500,000 gallons during the low season and nearly 1,000,000 during high demand seasons. I am shocked that the decision making powers to be would even consider approving such a plan. Almost every year water restrictions are imposed on we Villages and it is outrageous to think they would allow our water to be bottled and sold. Without ample water supply, the Villages would become a ghost town over night.
I agree. Water is this countries most precious resource. Not coal, gas, wind, water... I have tried to get/find an environmental impact statement (EIS) on what the impact is short term/long term of the action. This is a Federal regulator requirement. I'm not sure all the impacts have been considered. Keep in mind, our precious water resources are going out of the State.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Gold member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by debow View Post
I agree. Water is this countries most precious resource. Not coal, gas, wind, water... I have tried to get/find an environmental impact statement (EIS) on what the impact is short term/long term of the action. This is a Federal regulator requirement. I'm not sure all the impacts have been considered. Keep in mind, our precious water resources are going out of the State.
The response to my post is right to the point. This is the second day for my post and there has been only one response. Why are Villagers not up in arms about this?? It is a fact that an Ocala has requested from Sumter County officials permission to take up to nearly a million gallons of spring water from our aquifers. This water will be bottled and sold throughout the USA. What is it you don't understand ??? We need to be involved with the small groups that are fighting for you, let us give them some help.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,479 Times in 549 Posts

You may wish to read the thread started by Bogey Shooter on 12/15/15 and the pages of comments about this before you issue your call to arms.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe now you know how the locals feel about the ever expanding villages. Why do you think you are any more entitled to the water than other Americans?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Maybe now you know how the locals feel about the ever expanding villages. Why do you think you are any more entitled to the water than other Americans?
Because it will be given to a bottling company that will then sell it.
Let them find another source for their free water.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
The response to my post is right to the point. This is the second day for my post and there has been only one response. Why are Villagers not up in arms about this?? It is a fact that an Ocala has requested from Sumter County officials permission to take up to nearly a million gallons of spring water from our aquifers. This water will be bottled and sold throughout the USA. What is it you don't understand ??? We need to be involved with the small groups that are fighting for you, let us give them some help.
Share with us these groups.......so we can get involved.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I'm sure it's not just being given to them. Sumer Co. is probably in line to make a pretty penny from this.

But the idea is absurd. Especially when our region has been put under water restrictions. This is something that should be put up for vote.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,333 Times in 873 Posts

As stated, there were threads on this since December, outrage expressed, legislatures contacted, county commissioners contacted, protest groups in front of the lawmakers.....I assume those posting here weren't outraged or involved when this first started. Another example of an outrage post to stir up the minions with no solutions offered.....<sigh>

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-26-2016, 09:47 PM
Default Selling our water supply

Pumping out the water beneath us may cause more sinkholes?

Many natural sinkholes cannot be prevented. However, those caused by human activity may be avoided, especially those caused by over-pumping groundwater. During dry conditions, water tables drop in the limestone and cavities under Florida's sand and clay soil.
How Sinkholes Form - St. Johns River Water Management District
Website of the St. Johns River Water Management District
Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
This water is necessary for those in Sumter County to live here. People living in New York don't depend on available water in Sumter County Florida. Allowing a private company to take it from the ground does nothing more than feed a stupid bottled water fad. California already is suffering from a water shortage, we could be next ..
Old 04-26-2016, 09:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Share with us these groups.......so we can get involved.
Google Ralph Kerr or call him at 813-985-7481 ext ***2
Old 04-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,533 Times in 1,920 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The entire State of Florida has water restrictions. NOT just The Villages.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Florid...5610D33739215C
Old 04-27-2016, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
How is that different than the TV water dept selling water to us? Who do you think drinks this bottled water? We and our neighbors do.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
This water is necessary for those in Sumter County to live here. People living in New York don't depend on available water in Sumter County Florida. Allowing a private company to take it from the ground does nothing more than feed a stupid bottled water fad. California already is suffering from a water shortage, we could be next ..
What is the difference if the water is consumed from the faucet or a bottle? It is still consumed. Eventually it will be recycled, treated and used on your lawn, most likely. Who says this water ever leaves Florida? Have you ever seen the cases of bottled water being hauled out of local Publix, Walmart, Sams, etc.?
Closed Thread

Tags
water, supply, bottle, villages, imposed, year, restrictions, plan, powers, approving, ample, ghost, town, night, sold, bottled, making, outrageous, low, company, petition, submitted, approval, private, concerned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.