century link prism problems?

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Sage

I had an unsolicited visit from Century Link yesterday. Not changing for 2 reasons...internet speed and a friend had them installed 2 weeks ago, they left the cable on the ground and now someone reported her to the TV police. When I asked the sells agent about that he said that was the "OLD WAY" they did things. LOL 2 weeks ago.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:06 PM

Why do their ads say only 10Mbps for Internet speed not 1000 Mbps?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:25 PM
Sage
Default century link prism problems?

I pay for 25Mbps (download) with Comcast and almost always get the full 25, which is plenty for most residential needs. The fastest Centurylink offered me was 10.

And by the way, your neighbor does own the utility easement on their lot. Its use is just restricted according to the provisions describing the easement.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
Why do their ads say only 10Mbps for Internet speed not 1000 Mbps?
Good question!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am not sure if you are talking about CenturyLink capabilities in The Villages or elsewhere. I live on the southside and have Century Link via fiber optic. I have 10 Mbps download but could have 40 Mbps download for additional cost. The service is not symmetric - the upload is less than 1 Mbps. As far as I can tell, they are not offering 1 Gbps in The Villages. I know they are rolling it out in some selected cities. Regarding 100 Gbps, yes we will see that in the future but it isn't clear to me when that would be or under what conditions it would be required or cost justified for home use. For example, you can stream 2160p video with 25 Mbps. Paying for bandwidth you don't need is a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardMeSecurity View Post
You must be on the north side, the south side the fiber is already ran to the houses. And they don't pay techs to bury cable, they pay contractors to do it. After a certain number of people get hooked up a crew comes out and buries everyone's cable. The same thing would happen if your coax connection got cut for any reason, I've heard of comcast customers waiting over 3 months to get a line buried.

And as for internet speed, centurylink blows comcast completely out of the water. Comcast max speed is 105Mbps but you'll be lucky to get 50 of that. Centurylink has symmetrical (that means both upload and download) of 1000Mbps but can easily support up to 100,000Mbps with node and server upgrades.

And who reported who to the police? You do realize that where that cable is ran is what's called a "utility easement", and thus not your neighbors property even if it happens to be in their backyard.

I'm sorry that you were misinformed.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
OFFERED you is the keyword there. 2 years ago that's all we could offer anyone. But due to aggressive server and node upgrades and substantial additional fiber layout we can now offer much higher speeds. I bet you have a loop of fiber from us already ran to the side of your house.

Yeah. 25 Mbps...not compatible with Prism TV service.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't believe that is correct. I did call them and the highest is 100 Mbps for my house. The Villages is not one of the rollout cities for 1 Gbps.

Quote:
Every person with a fiber connection in the villages has 1000Mbps available to them, just call. Available speed tiers are 40, 100 and 1000 for fiber customers.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Just for kicks I called Century Link again and they confirmed that 100 Mbps is highest bandwidth available at my home (south of 466a and has fiber to the house). Also, The Villages is not listed as one of the rollout cities in their press release. While I guess it is possible that the "hooks" are in place from an engineering point of view, if you cannot order it then it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Every person with a fiber connection in the villages has 1000Mbps available to them, just call. Available speed tiers are 40, 100 and 1000 for fiber customers.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Just for kicks I called Century Link again and they confirmed that 100 Mbps is highest bandwidth available at my home (south of 466a and has fiber to the house). Also, The Villages is not listed as one of the rollout cities in their press release. While I guess it is possible that the "hooks" are in place from an engineering point of view, if you cannot order it then it doesn't really matter.

This is not the first time talk has been very fast and loose regarding such "facts".
Old 12-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default had terrible reception in Hemmingway

The rental we had last winter in Hemmingway had real problems. They kept coming out and resetting and replacing the boxes and it wasn't the boxes. Every time it rained the tv reception would pixalate or the internet slowed to a crawl. Finally a guy ran a line down the back and connected into a different hub. Apparently they lay the lines before the houses are built and the landscape is in and they get knicked and then when it rains or someone gets over doing it with their sprinklers the water causes signal bleed. He said that 20 % of the lines have some signal loss due to this problem and that over time new lines will have to be pulled but they are too backed up now with all the new construction. I don't know if this is true but it is what he said and the new line fixed the issue. Maybe eventually it will get straightened out.

And yes I know I can't spell.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I cannot force the reps on the other end of the phone to place an order to turn on something they say is not available. If you are a Century Link employee then why don't you contact your sales/engineering departments and tell them to modify what services are available to the fiber optic customers in The Villages. If you are a Century Link employee, telling customers that other Century Link employees "don't know what they are talking about" reflects badly on you. The tier 1 reps are the face of the company because that is who the customers primarily interact with.

Quote:
You are talking to tier 1 reps who have no idea what they are talking about. PM me your address and I can tell you the actual available speeds with a 3min phone call.

As of 3 months ago all customers with a fiber optic connection were available for gig speeds. And the villages isn't considered a "city" it's a "community" in the eyes of a utility company.

They aren't going to list every single community or small town on a rollout list, only the major population centers, which the closest to here is Orlando.

If you want actual pertinent information, i have it.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Comcast doesn't use fiber optic to the home. Centurylink is the only service provider that does in this area. Your "25Mbps" isn't coming through fiber.

I don't have a clue what you're saying. The 25Mbps that I spoke of that is not compatible with PRISM TV service is YOUR (Centurylink) Internet service. Check the website.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
...If you are a Century Link employee, telling customers that other Century Link employees "don't know what they are talking about" reflects badly on you...

So true. Such a basic principal.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If I had to guess, I would say that you have Century Link internet via copper and not fiber to the house and they are only offering Prism if you have fiber to the house???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I don't have a clue what you're saying. The 25Mbps that I spoke of that is not compatible with PRISM TV service is YOUR (Centurylink) Internet service. Check the website.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
If I had to guess, I would say that you have Century Link internet via copper and not fiber to the house and they are only offering Prism if you have fiber to the house???

Heheh...no. I have Comcast 25 Mbps internet service. It's been reliable and plenty fast. (True 25 Mbps download speed almost all the time.) But you're probably right for Centurylink customers.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.