Chandelier relocation

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2022, 06:33 PM
Default Chandelier relocation

I would like to relocate my chandelier in my dining room by shifting it over about a foot in each direction. I assume this is probably a common problem in the villages as most of these dining rooms are awkward shapes. Has anybody had success with an electrician to move the light box and doing good finish drywall in the ceiling that they could recommend?
Old 11-08-2022, 06:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim4cope View Post
I would like to relocate my chandelier in my dining room by shifting it over about a foot in each direction. I assume this is probably a common problem in the villages as most of these dining rooms are awkward shapes. Has anybody had success with an electrician to move the light box and doing good finish drywall in the ceiling that they could recommend?
PM sent
Old 11-08-2022, 11:42 PM

We moved the entrance light to the center in foyer. Hayes Electric did the work and they had a drywall/texture guy that did the ceiling repair (separate from the electrical). Excellent job. You can't tell it was ever moved. I hired Hayes Electric for another electrical project that needed a permit. Hayes handled the permit. Very satisfied.

We also had M&M Services (352-307-5972) install attic stairs in the garage. The ceiling attic hole was IMO in the wrong place and it forced you to put attic stairs in toward the rear of the garage. We had M&M move the hole towards the front of the garage and align the stairs to the front (come in from the garage door and up the stairs), which allows long stuff like a ladder to be hauled up the ladder. We had Hayes drywall guy repair the garage ceiling for a separate fee. He did a great job.

Hayes Lighting & Electric Service, Inc
5626 C Thomas Road, Unit 610
P.O. Box 250
Wildwood, FL 34785
352-536-3400
Old 11-09-2022, 03:21 AM
Default Grant Electric

Grant Electric replaced the chandelier with can lights. Now table placement is not dictated by the imposing fixture.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,780 Times in 5,277 Posts

One way is to move the box and just place a cover plate over the old box. The ceiling drywall finish is difficult to match by hand because the original finish is applied with a machine.

Another option is to install a ceiling hook where you want the fixture and use a swag chain.

A third option is to shop for offset chandeliers, or use a large ceiling medallion to hide the wires and cover the hole, especially if you are only offsetting the chandelier 12 inches. Some chandeliers come with large ceiling plates, where you can offset the chandelier without moving the junction box.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-09-2022 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:51 AM
Default Patching Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
One way is to move the box and just place a cover plate over the old box. The ceiling drywall finish is difficult to match by hand because the original finish is applied with a machine.

Another option is to install a ceiling hook where you want the fixture and use a swag chain.

A third option is to shop for offset chandeliers, or use a large ceiling medallion to hide the wires and cover the hole, especially if you are only offsetting the chandelier 12 inches. Some chandeliers come with large ceiling plates, where you can offset the chandelier without moving the junction box.
Lori from Touch of Drywall does an excellent job patching Sheetrock walls. You can’t find the patch after it dries and is painted
Old 11-09-2022, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,682 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post

Three good suggestions. I did option 1 a few years back. The cover becomes un-noticeable after a short time.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,780 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieJr View Post
Lori from Touch of Drywall does an excellent job patching Sheetrock walls. You can’t find the patch after it dries and is painted
I would just point out that walls and ceilings have different finishes. The walls have an "orange peel" finish that you can replicate with a spray can product from Home Depot. But, the ceiling has a different finish that is applied during construction with a machine. I am not saying that a good drywall contractor cannot replicate it, but it is more difficult.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:45 AM

here is another vote for Lori from Touch of Drywall (352-636-6859). She did some work for us which was excellent.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 11-09-2022, 10:31 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

swag worked for me - real easy and just a few bucks cost
Old 11-09-2022, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,203 Times in 2,271 Posts

We were able to move the dining room light about 18 inches as a DIY project. Lowes sells an OLD work box that is suitable for 75 pounds of fan on light load. We were lucky that the wiring ran in the correct direction that it could be pulled to the new box location, and the hole cut for the new box was a suitable "patch" for the old hole. To be honest, if you know where to look, you can see the patch, otherwise it is not noticeable.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We bought a hook and installed it a foot over and a foot back. We looped the chain over and it worked out perfect. Very easy to do.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
We bought a chandelier with a big enough base to cover original hole so no ceiling repair , something to think about
Old 11-10-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Save yourself the expense and put a hook in the ceiling where you want the light to hang from and swag it from the hook.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:31 AM

Hayes Electric are the best I highly recommend them for all elect work.
Closed Thread

Tags
chandelier, dining, shapes, move, awkward

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.