Changing times in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts
Default Changing times in The Villages

I have lived here about 13 years. Temp lived in Tampa for 3, but even then traveled here many times. I only tell that as a way of introduction....many here longer and shorter.

I have been struck by changes....

We have a thread concerning younger folks moving here (think I saw in 40's in one case). Not speaking of temp residents but homeowners.

We have a thread concerning whether another "retirement" community should have access to The Villages by golf cart.

I have noticed more of a resort attitude than a retirement attitude everywhere in the last few years. This is MY observation that people come here more and more to vacation.

There are rentals everywhere, and those who purchase homes have probably a fifty fifty chance of NEVER living here, just renting their property.

I am not passing any personal judgement,but in conversations many do.

What do folks think who have been here a few years think about all this. I NEVER could have predicted any of the few changes I mentioned years ago.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I live in Pennecamp and I am a year round resident. We have a CYV and I would venture to guess that about half the homes in our little courtyard neighborhood are rentals or are empty during the summer months.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Sage
The whole concept of The Villages has changed since Harold Schwartz and Gary Morse started building around Spanish Springs in the late 1990's. Schwartz and Morse planned a community where everything any retiree needed or wanted was easily accesible.

This included shopping, churches, recreation centers, restaurants, golf courses, country clubs, the hospital and other medical facilities, bowling alleys, softball fields, RV parking, and on and on and on. Schwartz and Morse were a class act that ran a first class operation, just look at the country clubs they built compared to what's being built today.

The new plan, implemented by the next generation, seems to be to build more and more houses, recreation centers, golf courses, and the new medical offices and not much else. It looks like they are converting all their commercial property into residential and are not much interested in any more commercial ventures.

JMHO based on watching The Villages expand since I moved here on Nov 4, 2000, likewise almost 13 years ago.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Bucco, I have lived here less then two years. IMHO your observation is correct. The Good news for residence is this place has so much to do it feels like a resort and is often referred to as a Disney World for Retires. The Bad news for residence is this place is like a resort therefore, it is appealing to short term vacationers.

The Villages is big enough for those who like resorts and intimate enough to feel like a small town. I think it all depends on where you lived before buying in TV.

Life is good and so is . . . The Villages!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 AM

I have friends who bought here twelve years ago and visited for just two weeks each year, renting it out in the busy season to defray running costs. They have now stopped renting it out and moved here. Maybe a lot of the "younger" buyers have the same plan?

I live in a neighborhood that was built around 2000 and most residents have been here since then. However, there have been a number of deaths/relocations in the past few years resulting in those in their 70's and 80's being replaced by people in their 50's and 60's. It has given the neighborhood new life and vigor.

The biggest change I envisage is the separation of The Villages from one amorphous area into several - especially now that development south of 466A is proceeding in leaps and bounds. Living north of 466, I doubt that I shall visit Brownwood more than once or twice a year; likewise, many living south of 466A may rarely visit Spanish Springs.

One sign of this change is the withdrawal of the airport shuttle from Spanish Springs. I expect it will start calling at Brownwood in the not-too-distant future.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

[QUOTE=Bucco;729260]I have lived here about 13 years. Temp lived in Tampa for 3, but even then traveled here many times. I only tell that as a way of introduction....many here longer and shorter.

I have been struck by changes....

I have to agree with much of your post, but thankfully my little area has not been impacted (so far) by these changes. We are a very settled area, maybe three homes with seasonal residents, but they are only gone for three months at the most. We are not a party neighborhood, but we all know each other and give help and aid when it is needed.

But, like everything else, things will have to change with age and then I imagine we will get younger residents moving in, although I think the boomer crowd are moving south of 466A.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Platinum member

I'm a new resident - only 3 months - and to be honest - the jury is still out on whether I'll be staying. I cannot rave about life in The Villages. It's just okay - no better or worse. Perhaps for golfers, it's nirvana. I don't know about that. I admit that I drank the koolaid and bought into the whole "Village" concept and was lured by the promises of stuff to do. And..there is tons to do. But I'm giving it a year. Next June, there may be another house for sale.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 AM

I think the % of partial year residents is highest in the Villas.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Sage

I started this thing, so going to jump in and say that I welcome much of the growth, and hoping I do not offend anyone, but I notice a different attitude than was here when I moved in.

A small example and it is small, is a neighborhood that a friend of mine lives in...a courtyard villa.....the folks across the street are here maybe 5/6 months and when they are here, they and their visitors use their driveway as if they owned it for a turn around. Hurt anything...not so much..a few marks on the driveway but what kind of attitude has no respect for others private property...maybe one who does not see this as a HOME but a resort ? Not looking to share advice for my buddy..he can take care of himself..speaking to the attitude !

When we first moved in The Villages, the individual respect was there...everyone was retired and starting anew...this WAS their new home. That is not as apparent anymore to me anyway !
Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Been here 4 years. Love it and I'm going nowhere, except maybe another home. There have been changes many bringing more additional stores, doctors and medical facilities which I think is a plus. As for younger persons no problem it's legal providing they don't have children under 19. We're out and about for or so nights a week, have met plenty of very happy people. If your house goes on the market that will make room for another happy person. JMO
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Sage

This thread reminds me of my parents generation saying that the world is going to he'll Ina handbag because of the younger folks like us that are ruining it. Now we are old and saying the same thing about young people.

How many generations has this been repeated.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
This thread reminds me of my parents generation saying that the world is going to he'll Ina handbag because of the younger folks like us that are ruining it. Now we are old and saying the same thing about young people.

How many generations has this been repeated.
Since I began this thread and said nor inferred any such thing, please explain how you came to that conclusion on my behalf ??
Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Since I began this thread and said nor inferred any such thing, please explain how you came to that conclusion on my behalf ??
That is true Golf.

Bucco didn't blame young people. It was me

Well not really, but I didn't realize until just a week or so ago that I had become an old biddie.

I thought I was a hottie.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post
I live in a neighborhood that was built around 2000 and most residents have been here since then. However, there have been a number of deaths/relocations in the past few years resulting in those in their 70's and 80's being replaced by people in their 50's and 60's. It has given the neighborhood new life and vigor.
We had new neighbors move in two years ago. Our original neighbors had been so kind and helpful when we moved here that we were sad to see them leave. However, the new couple are just as nice and have been instrumental in organizing many neighborhood activities, including our all going off campus for a monthly dinner.

As Forrest Gump might say, "Changes are like a box of chocolates..."
Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Um, Gracie, you are not an old biddie. An old biddie is mean-spirited, jealous of those younger, healthier, richer, etc. An old biddie does her absolute best to make those around her feel inferior. BTW -- I've known old biddies who are in their 20s. It just happens that this go round I mentioned old biddies in their 60s and 70s. It ain't an age thing, it's a behavior thang.

Bucco, I've been here 7 years and have seen changes. There's more vitality with Baby Boomers buying here. At the same time, there's less patience. There are more houses that are being rented or standing empty for most of the year -- these folks purchased today to live here tomorrow. Works for them. When they're here, they're thrilled to be here and live every day here to the absolute fullest. (Frequently reminds me of a teen-age boy after his first sexual experience -- has no clue when to stop and give it a rest.) As Baby Boomers age and truly retire, I think things will go back to more of the way it was when I first moved here, except TV will be divided into North of 466, the North of 466A and the South side and that I truly hate to see. Villagers need to come together and be Villagers, not just members of a village or part of an area. That division is one thing I have found to be truly sad.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.