Changing times in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2013, 05:02 PM

My only issue with TV is the way people drive. The speed limit is 20mph in my neighborhood and if anyone goes that speed I would be surprised. People have no respect for others when they get behind the wheel of a car.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Platinum member

Gotta say that 20 seems awfully slow. Is that only for golf carts in their special path or cars as well.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I think the airport shuttle leaving only from Lake Sumter Landing is because of how many people need the door-to-door service and find that attractive, and the price for that short taxi ride from home to station is cheap. Also, they have more departures now, instead of adding a half hour to each one by picking up at two stations.
Just heard that the airport shuttles are no longer owned by The Villages but have been sold to someone.

Shame they are cutting back services.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Sage

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Nothing to do with PC. It's a FLA housing law as far as I know.
Not only a housing law in Florida, but elsewhere too, Russ. We as a country are trying to be correct. Making it law is the political vehicle used to facilitate that.

I did not use the PC term flippantly, I used it sincerely.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

It would be wonderful if one of more of the long time Villages residents would write a history of The Villages. It would be fascinating. It has grown from a trailer park in a watermelon patch into the world's largest 55+ community!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I'm a new resident - only 3 months - and to be honest - the jury is still out on whether I'll be staying. I cannot rave about life in The Villages. It's just okay - no better or worse. Perhaps for golfers, it's nirvana. I don't know about that. I admit that I drank the koolaid and bought into the whole "Village" concept and was lured by the promises of stuff to do. And..there is tons to do. But I'm giving it a year. Next June, there may be another house for sale.
I feel as you do Diane, except I am your neighbor in Stonecrest (or an outsider, depending on who you talk to). I moved to this area almost a year ago and I thought it would be different then it is. Friendlier, I guess but I don't golf, dance or play cards which seems like everyone does.
Have you tried the different clubs there?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megardn View Post
I feel as you do Diane, except I am your neighbor in Stonecrest (or an outsider, depending on who you talk to). I moved to this area almost a year ago and I thought it would be different then it is. Friendlier, I guess but I don't golf, dance or play cards which seems like everyone does.
Have you tried the different clubs there?
Thank you. I do not golf but I would play cards. I do go to a few groups on a regular basis and I am sponsoring a Long Island night this week. I'm trying to make my life again. Time will tell. What have you tried?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Default Disney

I do not wish to change the focus of this thread, but I read so much about the developers etc. I took Disney’s business management courses called, The Disney Institute. What I see in The Villages is the model that is presented to one when you attend those courses. I researched and it appears Mr. Morse may have attended those classes when I did in the late 80’s.

Think about it for a minute, isn’t The villages exactly what Disney did? First they owned all of the property and the vendors, and now it is all affiliates and brands?

I think if you read the Wikipedia article you will find many similarities to The Villages.

JannD

Walt Disney World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp
Smile

My husband and I built a home here 4 years ago. He was over 55 and I was not. Our original intention was to be snowbirds at first then eventually move here fulltime. Unfortunately he passed away unexpectedly before realizing our dream. To make a long sad story short I moved here on my own not knowing what to expect especially since I was in my 40's. What I found was a wonderful, warm community that made me feel at home and welcome from day 1. Yes, I occasionally get the "you can"t live here you aren't old enough" comment. I just smile and say thank you but I grew up in the friendly south in a small town so I know friendly and this place is a wonderful, warm and welcoming place for anyone but especially for a single woman. I have always felt safe here even living alone for the first time in my life. I love this place and all the people in it. No it's not perfect but pretty darn close and I am so happy to call this home.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSilvestrucci View Post
My husband and I built a home here 4 years ago. He was over 55 and I was not. Our original intention was to be snowbirds at first then eventually move here fulltime. Unfortunately he passed away unexpectedly before realizing our dream. To make a long sad story short I moved here on my own not knowing what to expect especially since I was in my 40's. What I found was a wonderful, warm community that made me feel at home and welcome from day 1. Yes, I occasionally get the "you can"t live here you aren't old enough" comment. I just smile and say thank you but I grew up in the friendly south in a small town so I know friendly and this place is a wonderful, warm and welcoming place for anyone but especially for a single woman. I have always felt safe here even living alone for the first time in my life. I love this place and all the people in it. No it's not perfect but pretty darn close and I am so happy to call this home.
Your warmth is felt and your courage. I am so happy you call this place home too.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-20-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Not only a housing law in Florida, but elsewhere too, Russ. We as a country are trying to be correct. Making it law is the political vehicle used to facilitate that.

I did not use the PC term flippantly, I used it sincerely.
Ok - but I don't think it is a new law and I don't think it really has anything to do with being PC - not all laws are for PC - sometimes laws are just that. And I see no problem with allowing sub-55 to buy and live in TV anyway.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Sage

Try this for a clear explanation.

55 & Over Housing: What is the 80/20 Rule? | Florida Condo & HOA Legal Blog
Old 08-20-2013, 07:44 AM

In our late fourties when we brought ,I was a teacher so we came and cleaned and worked for two weeks in August..we made enoughto cover expenses...no more....by renting high season.after five years.,retired., sold our house and moved to fl.
It is a totally dry panoramic golf course view.the bottom in the crawl space is dry white sand.all openings are sealed .no creatures.
The value of the house has risen with the market.we have no intention of selling
We have a sweeping view of the golf course and a big lot,low taxe and low insurance.we could survive on SS. It is a manufactured home,.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

for many of us golf had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to build a home and move into TV.

The good or bad or like or dislike is a function of who is looking or speaking. Can you imagine the demand here if TV were the answer for 100% of those who visit/buy?

Life has a way of sorting things out and in the end there is more population that likes what they bought into as the dislikes relocate or pass us by.

We always said there is no way we would ever live in FL. Well so much for that.

We have friends who lived a little further south of TV for many of their adult years and then moved to TN because the did not like FL for a lot of reasons. When they visited us here in TV, after a week they both said now this is what FL is supposed to be like and would never have left if it was.

Takes all kinds....there is no 100% answer....there never is.

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.