Changing times in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannd228 View Post
I do not wish to change the focus of this thread, but I read so much about the developers etc. I took Disney’s business management courses called, The Disney Institute. What I see in The Villages is the model that is presented to one when you attend those courses. I researched and it appears Mr. Morse may have attended those classes when I did in the late 80’s.

Think about it for a minute, isn’t The villages exactly what Disney did? First they owned all of the property and the vendors, and now it is all affiliates and brands?

I think if you read the Wikipedia article you will find many similarities to The Villages.

JannD

Walt Disney World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are correct.

The Villages used the Disney model for districts,etc, which is always forgotten when folks begin their cry about our home. Do not hear anyone saying the same things about the Disney family.

I honestly am not sure if the still do this, but Pete Wahl used to have a course he taught on CDD, and everything we all misunderstand. It was great and very informative, but just wanted to know that your perceptions are right on.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Ok - but I don't think it is a new law and I don't think it really has anything to do with being PC - not all laws are for PC - sometimes laws are just that. And I see no problem with allowing sub-55 to buy and live in TV anyway.
I see no problem with it either.

My intended point to the OP was that things change, whether we direct the change or other factors do. HE seemed to think this sub-55 thing was new- not me.

The idea I was attempting to convey was that PERHAPS this (law) may not have been in effect at the inception of TV, or even when He moved here 14 years ago- but it is in effect now.

If you interpreted something other than that from my original post, or this one... you are reading something into it that is not there.

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 08-20-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 PM

Pick a retirememnt community around the country and you will find full time peeps and part timers as well. What is all the hullabaloo here??
Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post

My intended point to the OP was that things change, whether we direct the change or other factors do. HE seemed to think this sub-55 thing was new- not me.

The idea I was attempting to convey was that PERHAPS this (law) may not have been in effect at the inception of TV, or even when He moved here 14 years ago- but it is in effect now.

If you interpreted something other than that from my original post, or this one... you are reading something into it that is not there.
OK - pretty sure it's been there since inception. I did gain a new understanding of the 20% 'rule'. I guess it's possible, reading that law, to not allow anyone under 55 if we so wish. I know all I had to do was get someone in TV sales management to sign the waiver. Wasn't a real problem for them.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
You are correct.

The Villages used the Disney model for districts,etc, which is always forgotten when folks begin their cry about our home. Do not hear anyone saying the same things about the Disney family.

I honestly am not sure if the still do this, but Pete Wahl used to have a course he taught on CDD, and everything we all misunderstand. It was great and very informative, but just wanted to know that your perceptions are right on.
thanks Bucco, I still follow the courses I attended on Facebook and online...I started to use their concepts for my new business (which really is my old business just in a retirement format) last weekend and my FB stats soared....

I understood from the beginning what I was reading here because of those courses, which in 1989 they offered to public educators and businesses, now only to businesses.

For others just search for The Disney Institute and read through the information, much of it applies to your community.

JannD
Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:

As the OP you refer you, allow me to point out that I never mentioned, implied, or hinted at the sub 55.

The thought you allotted to me was not mine, nor did I discuss nor point this thread toward.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjayne View Post
My only issue with TV is the way people drive. The speed limit is 20mph in my neighborhood and if anyone goes that speed I would be surprised. People have no respect for others when they get behind the wheel of a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Gotta say that 20 seems awfully slow. Is that only for golf carts in their special path or cars as well.
Rio Grande has a sign on it that reads "20 mph unless otherwise posted" so I have always assumed that 20 mph is the general speed limit in TV except for more major roads. Judging from the traffic flow, though, I don't think many people know that.

Many places nowadays have the speed limit painted on the road, and this way of notifying drivers seems a lot clearer than small signs by the side of the road. Maybe they should do that here.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
As the OP you refer you, allow me to point out that I never mentioned, implied, or hinted at the sub 55.

The thought you allotted to me was not mine, nor did I discuss nor point this thread toward.
Although you did mention the thread about 'younger' folks buying, in general regard to changes... perhaps you meant that as representation of changes in the attitude/bias of some residents here- if so, I was off track by not understanding.

I interpreted your statement to mean that younger people buying in TV was a CHANGE from the way things were when you purchased.
My mis-interpretaion. Sorry.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Although you did mention the thread about 'younger' folks buying, in general regard to changes... perhaps you meant that as representation of changes in the attitude/bias of some residents here- if so, I was off track by not understanding.

I interpreted your statement to mean that younger people buying in TV was a CHANGE from the way things were when you purchased.
My mis-interpretaion. Sorry.

No problem. My biggest concern was your statement "HE seemed to think this sub 55 thing was new-not me", because I simply mentioned a thread to make the point about how things have changed. The 80/20 should not be news to anyone who moves here or their research is flawed.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post
Rio Grande has a sign on it that reads "20 mph unless otherwise posted" so I have always assumed that 20 mph is the general speed limit in TV except for more major roads. Judging from the traffic flow, though, I don't think many people know that.

Many places nowadays have the speed limit painted on the road, and this way of notifying drivers seems a lot clearer than small signs by the side of the road. Maybe they should do that here.
20 is really slow. That really is snail speed. Glad that most of the roads I use are 30 to 35.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Platinum member

Two comments: good to see Russ Boston's common sense posts again!

To DianeM, don't give up so quickly. We were about ready to leave after the first year as we had trouble finding a group we felt comfortable with. As others have said we bought a resale in a village that was five years old. Most of our neighbors had gotten over the initial excitement of TV and village "get togethers" were rare but after a time we have gotten to know and love our neighbors and that has led to getting involved in other things. We also found a club that we fit into and now, after 2 1/2 years, we are happy frogs! Get out there and get involved!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
Two comments: good to see Russ Boston's common sense posts again!

To DianeM, don't give up so quickly. We were about ready to leave after the first year as we had trouble finding a group we felt comfortable with. As others have said we bought a resale in a village that was five years old. Most of our neighbors had gotten over the initial excitement of TV and village "get togethers" were rare but after a time we have gotten to know and love our neighbors and that has led to getting involved in other things. We also found a club that we fit into and now, after 2 1/2 years, we are happy frogs! Get out there and get involved!
I haven't given up at all. I try different stuff all the time. I'm working on this life. It's less than 3 months as a resident (hate the expression 'frog '). Way too soon to throw in the towel. Thanks for the support.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I haven't given up at all. I try different stuff all the time. I'm working on this life. It's less than 3 months as a resident (hate the expression 'frog '). Way too soon to throw in the towel. Thanks for the support.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have lived here about 13 years. Temp lived in Tampa for 3, but even then traveled here many times. I only tell that as a way of introduction....many here longer and shorter.

I have been struck by changes....

We have a thread concerning younger folks moving here (think I saw in 40's in one case). Not speaking of temp residents but homeowners.

We have a thread concerning whether another "retirement" community should have access to The Villages by golf cart.

I have noticed more of a resort attitude than a retirement attitude everywhere in the last few years. This is MY observation that people come here more and more to vacation.

There are rentals everywhere, and those who purchase homes have probably a fifty fifty chance of NEVER living here, just renting their property.

I am not passing any personal judgement,but in conversations many do.

What do folks think who have been here a few years think about all this. I NEVER could have predicted any of the few changes I mentioned years ago.
Hi Bucco,
It's interesting to hear about how TV has changed from the vantage point of a long-time resident. I've owned in TV only four years and am largely the face of the change you have witnessed. You see, I started life here as a snowflake, coming down as often as I could to savor the resort-like experience. Now that I'm a frog, ... I still savor the resort-like experience. (Then and now, I hasten to add, I treat personal and public property here with the reverence of home. Don't we wish everybody did?)

I see your point though. If I didn't witness these change myself, it's only because I came after they started and was indeed a part of the trend, for better or worse.

For what it's worth, the changes you mentioned were perhaps inevitable. If you live in a resort-like paradise, people who can't live there will want, well... a little slice of paradise. The alternative is to not live in a resort-like paradise. It's true some who come never will. For many of us though, there's no turning back.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Bucco,
It's interesting to hear about how TV has changed from the vantage point of a long-time resident. I've owned in TV only four years and am largely the face of the change you have witnessed. You see, I started life here as a snowflake, coming down as often as I could to savor the resort-like experience. Now that I'm a frog, ... I still savor the resort-like experience. (Then and now, I hasten to add, I treat personal and public property here with the reverence of home. Don't we wish everybody did?)

I see your point though. If I didn't witness these change myself, it's only because I came after they started and was indeed a part of the trend, for better or worse.

For what it's worth, the changes you mentioned were perhaps inevitable. If you live in a resort-like paradise, people who can't live there will want, well... a little slice of paradise. The alternative is to not live in a resort-like paradise. It's true some who come never will. For many of us though, there's no turning back.
Good post.

Be clear...because some have totally misunderstood my post.

I was not complaining about anything with this thread. It just struck me the dynamic changes in the years I have been here, and thus the thread. Some changes have been good and some not so good from my perspective.....but all change fits that definition.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.