Chase online - alert

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Exclamation Chase online - alert

There is a scam text being sent this morning stating it is important for you to call their office immediately with a phone number ending in 5765.

I contacted Chase directly through the phone number listed on my card. They verified it is a scam and instructed me to delete the text and not call the number.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran member

Wow!! Good advice. I actually did have a card compromised with Chase last month, and I received an email from them asking me to confirm or deny charges. While it did turn out to be legit, I chose to call the number on the back of my card and handle it that way. Hey...ya never know.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Sage

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Thanks
Old 02-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Additional alert

Someone called my cell phone last night and it sounded like the legit computer voice from Chase that I hear all the time with alerts.
However this one said chase has deactivated your card do to a problem, to reactivate your card press 1 (or maybe 2) I hung up and called the number on the back of my card just to be sure. The call center said it was a fishing scam and that they were getting a lot of people giving out their info which they shouldn't resulting in them having to really deactivate the card. Never respond directly to an alert hang up and call the call center or go online and check.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Someone called my cell phone last night and it sounded like the legit computer voice from Chase that I hear all the time with alerts.
However this one said chase has deactivated your card do to a problem, to reactivate your card press 1 (or maybe 2) I hung up and called the number on the back of my card just to be sure. The call center said it was a fishing scam and that they were getting a lot of people giving out their info which they shouldn't resulting in them having to really deactivate the card. Never respond directly to an alert hang up and call the call center or go online and check.

Fraud Scams and Extortion over the phone are becoming cheap and easy when automated using VOIP technology. Criminals apparently are increasingly using it in schemes.

Read this article. It is alarming. It comments on what happened to you (fraud scam using social engineering tactics), but much of the article is also about the growing use of the technology to strong arm businesses and extort money (using denial of service).

Quote:
NYT Quote:
Automatic dialing software and Internet phone services make it easy to place huge volumes of calls from anywhere in the world. Often, swindlers create messages in a synthesized voice and say they are from a financial institution. The call prompts the recipients to enter personal data through their phone keypads.

Because making phone calls over the Internet is so inexpensive, the practice can be lucrative even if only a tiny percentage of the people provide information. Personal financial data obtained this way can be easily sold on the black market. Financial and government officials say it is unclear how much money is lost to such schemes.
Swindlers Use Telephones, With Internet’s Tactics
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.