Children Driving Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
Sadly yes I have. Two adults with a child seated between them and a baby in a car seat facing sideways on the floor of the golf cart. I have trouble trying to understand what people may have been thinking to do something like that.
Sounds like a recipe for a tragedy.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Gold member

When our little grandkids are here one of their favorite activites is riding in the golf carts. Mr. Mudder took the straps off our tennis bags and made them into seat belts for the kids. They are used to car seats and so have no problem with seat belts in the cart. We put our arms around their shoulders too.
The baby in the car seat is scary !
Old 07-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
It's just one more example of the contemporary parenting method of being your child's PAL.....and saying "no" will harm their self-esteem.
I agree.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
Sadly yes I have. Two adults with a child seated between them and a baby in a car seat facing sideways on the floor of the golf cart. I have trouble trying to understand what people may have been thinking to do something like that.
Isn't that the problem....they are not thinking.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 AM

We took our 14-year-old grandson to the Camp Villages golf cart safety course. It was run by the Sumter County Sheriff's Department and was very informative, both for the grandkids and the grandparents.

What many grandparents may not know is that if an underage driver is caught (and, yes, there are 2 deputies on the watch for golf cart violations), a ticket will be issued and someone goes to court about it. Most likely the grandparents. However, if no one shows up, they issue the underage driver a driver's license, then immediately suspend it and add points to their record. That way, when they try to get a driver's license in their home state, this record will appear and they will have to deal with it. "Thanks a lot, grandma and grandpa!!"
Old 07-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

How do they that when the kid is under age
Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

In reading this thread I had a thought that perhaps the grandparents think that "if" they are riding along with the grandchild it will be fine. I don't agree that this is something to be done by an underage child under any circumstance. I'm thinking golf-cart lane along-side the road NOT the path..getting nervous about "something" a car coming along-side or whatever. Children do not have the experience or the common sense yet to react appropriately to any driving situation that could occur. Golf carts are NOT a toy like an electric car a toddler may drive (and I think those are inappropriate as well) Whatever happened to the idea that "waiting for something" is a bad thing (such as the privilege to drive)???

I just heard of a couple whose grandkids are here visiting and one of the children was driving and had a scarey experience. I didn't hear "the rest of the story" on how it played out but knowing this couple I could imagine that afterwards they were laughing about it (and it wasn't funny)..maybe out of relief that a tragedy didn't come out of it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.