Chinch bugs - what a nuisance

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2023, 07:03 AM

Yes, we have resolved them. Go to to Lowes and buy a bag of Triazicide granulars and spread it on your lawn. Lasts all season. Only thing that works for us.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:09 AM
Gold member

Anything that has Bifenthrin:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGUY2LO...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Several applications. Spray around the perimeter, not in the dead areas.
Note Chinch bugs are not active until mid-late summer.
They usually start at the edges of concrete, because of the heat.
Put something like this down now to kill eggs and control other pests like sod webworms.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunnilan...4026/100533911
Old 05-27-2023, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltpkr View Post
We live south of 44, have St Augustine grass, and have had recurring problems with chinch bug infestations, which devastate our lawn. Despite preventive and real-time treatments by one of the large lawn maintenance companies and self-help based on input from our local hardware folks, we have been unable to rid our lawn of these critters. Has anyone successfully overcome these pests and, if you don’t mind sharing, what did you do to deal with them?

Thanks
We are South of 44 and have had them. We use Deans and they came out (no extra charge) and took care of them quickly. Best way to prevent them is to have a healthy lawn. Also be sure the mower that is used to cut your grass isn’t bringing them in.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:13 AM

Forget the Pest Control companies here in TV. Most that I have seen just take your money for absolutely no results. Talstar is the best for controlling lawn pests. Ace Hardware has it. Get yourself a rotary spreader and 15 minutes later you're done. You will save a ton of money and have wonderful results. https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=0cdb0...bi1jYXJl&ntb=1
Old 05-27-2023, 09:02 AM

We use Arrow Pest formerly Falcon pest control. We didn’t have cinch bugs but we did have mole crickets. Massey kept treating to the point we came close to losing our lawn. Falcon at the time came out and in two applications took care of the problem.

Last edited by SaundraNapierP; 05-27-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:12 AM
Default Use Professional Insecticides

Quote:
We live south of 44, have St Augustine grass, and have had recurring problems with chinch bug infestations, which devastate our lawn. Despite preventive and real-time treatments by one of the large lawn maintenance companies and self-help based on input from our local hardware folks, we have been unable to rid our lawn of these critters. Has anyone successfully overcome these pests and, if you don’t mind sharing, what did you do to deal with them?

Thanks
Chinch bugs are not easy to defeat. Most of our lawn service companies have the means to defeat them; however, they usually do not apply the insecticide in either sufficient quantities or often enough.

Go to the Sod Solutions website, www.sodsolutions.com/insect-pestcontrol.com for excellent advice on both cultural practices and insecticides.

Another source for professional products is Do My Own - Do It Yourself Pest Control, Lawn Care, Gardening, Equipment & Animal Care Products & Supplies. It has even more products than Sod Solutions.

Both companies offer excellent advice. The professional products are not cheap and are not usually available at local stores
Old 05-27-2023, 09:40 AM

The best way to prevent them is to keep your lawn well-watered. Saving a few dollars by not watering has led to the demise of many lawns. See video for add'l info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7PMaf07ajc

Last edited by maistocars; 05-27-2023 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added link
Old 05-27-2023, 09:46 AM

We received the gift of chinch bugs when Tri-County Landscaping installed our yard . Of course after the 30 days warranty expired they took no responsibility. We hired Dean’s and they commented that they have rarely seen this poor of quality grass installed in the Villages. Dean’s applications worked and got rid of them after three applications.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej012160 View Post
New to St. Aug grass here; have been growing centipede in LA for 20 years... So stupid question here.. How do you "know" you have chinch bugs? TIA!!
Look for brown areas that spread. You can also ask the county ag agent for information and advice.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks
I used Pest911, and they finally got rid of the chinch bugs. 352-629-9111. They are located in Weirsdale. I now get my lawn treated periodically for those lawn-destroying critters! Good luck!
Old 05-28-2023, 12:03 PM

We had them three times. Had to replace some of the grass. We have them now and contacted True Green they came out twice will see what happens. We also need to get a new lawn service they come from their lawnmower.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Thanks
The biggest mistake people make is to have their lawn cut too short.making it weak and susceptible to disease and bug infestation. St Augustine likes to be cut 3-4 inches. Also if you do not water properly chinch bugs love overly dry lawns
Old 05-29-2023, 11:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyN View Post
http://The Chinch Bug is Killing my St. Augustine Lawn and the treatmant I did in The Villages Florida. https://youtu.be/D7PMaf07ajc

There is the link to how I treated the Cinch bug in my lawn. You need to keep on top of your lawn care people. They may only come out once. This has stopped them for me…for now. Lol
Helpful video, thanks!
Old 05-29-2023, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

How can I tell if the problem is chinch bugs and not mole crickets?
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, chinch, critters, folks, unable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.