Chinese Balloon shot down.

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2023, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
No it isn't Sparky, Tucker is lying to you.
FOX News! Everybody drink!

Don't you have a better retort than that?

Migrant border crossings in fiscal year 2022 topped 2.76 million, breaking previous record

-Tom Petty
Old 02-06-2023, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I can only say that brief is not defined in the official Dept of Defense release. I am sure that Hawaii does not qualify as the Continental US which means the lower 48 states and Alaska. And pertinent to your comment, the present administration did not allow days of violation. POTUS ordered the military to bring the balloon down on Wednesday and was advised that it did not present a risk and that waiting until it was not over land was their recommendation. And that is exactly what happened.
Now we will get the material that landed in 20 yard deep water, much more intact than had it landed on the ground and the risk of falling debris hitting people or structures was avoided with this well thought out response.

I appreciate the comment above from Aces
My question is why China purposely had the spy balloon at 60,000ft instead of higher (perhaps in the prior admin) so that people in the US could SEE it from the ground? I imagine that the CIA is working 24 / 7 to answer THAT question. My 1st thought was that MAYBE it was a fake-out to cover up some OTHER activity like positioning submarines around Taiwan. But, by now I think that it would have been figured out. Maybe there IS more to find out and MAYBE (?) we will find that out someday?
Old 02-06-2023, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Misinformation. This balloon started in the Aleutian Islands near Alaska and then spent a week over many parts of the country. The prior administration would have called Beijing when it hit US airspace near Alaska to tell them to watch their monitors while he blew it out of the sky over the pacific. Both China and Russia want to see how far they can push us and now they know, Russia has known this for a year now
I disagree.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
excellent reply
I believe that a MISSAL is a book the Catholics use at mass.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yea, but who said they put a bullet hole in it, the F-22 shot it down with a Patriot Missle. F-22’s have a ceiling of 50,000 ft. You could see in news that the jet was well under it. It was well in range for a Patriot missle.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Yea, but who said they put a bullet hole in it, the F-22 shot it down with a Patriot Missle. F-22’s have a ceiling of 50,000 ft. You could see in news that the jet was well under it. It was well in range for a Patriot missle.
patriot-jpeg

Are you saying they launched a Patriot Missile from a F22 ?
Old 02-07-2023, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Attachment 96801

Are you saying they launched a Patriot Missile from a F22 ?
According to the "Google Machine", it was an AIM-9X Sidewinder missile...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-07-2023, 10:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It was reported that the F-22 used a Sidewinder air-to-air missile and was at 58K feet and below the balloon.

Quote:

Last edited by tuccillo; 02-07-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
60,000 feet. The F-22 and other fighters can reach this altitude, but only the F-22 can perform tactical maneuvers at this level, which is about twice the altitude at which other jets can perform tactical maneuvers.
Speed Mach 1.8 (supercruise: Mach 1.5)

The Patriot is a surface-to-air guided missile system that was first deployed in the 1980s and can target aircraft, cruise missiles and shorter-range ballistic missiles.

Each Patriot battery consists of a truck-mounted launching system with eight launchers that can hold up to four missile interceptors each, a ground radar, a control station and a generator. It is not air launched.

You seem to have come up with an entirely new weapons system.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:36 PM
Sage

This reminds me of a thread I started in "Nextdoor", several months ago...

I posted a video of a bobcat walking up my driveway and walkway (captured on my security camera).

The first post asked "Bobcat?" I replied, "Yup!"

Then came several days of people posting that it looked like a cougar.

Then, I posted a pic of a bobcat vs a pic of a cougar, and I showed the significant differences between the two...

The thread continued with, "Looks like a cougar" posts, with some, "Might be a panther" posts added in...

No matter how many times I said, "No, it's a bobcat, go look at the pics I posted", the idiots continued...

It's a pet peeve of mine when people chime in, without reading the first page of a thread, with incorrect info, or to repeat the same correct info for the umpteeth time.

The "Black Racer Snake" thread is another example.

-Tom Petty
Old 02-07-2023, 05:59 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
This reminds me of a thread I started in "Nextdoor", several months ago...

I posted a video of a bobcat walking up my driveway and walkway (captured on my security camera).

The first post asked "Bobcat?" I replied, "Yup!"

Then came several days of people posting that it looked like a cougar.

Then, I posted a pic of a bobcat vs a pic of a cougar, and I showed the significant differences between the two...

The thread continued with, "Looks like a cougar" posts, with some, "Might be a panther" posts added in...

No matter how many times I said, "No, it's a bobcat, go look at the pics I posted", the idiots continued...

It's a pet peeve of mine when people chime in, without reading the first page of a thread, with incorrect info, or to repeat the same correct info for the umpteeth time.

The "Black Racer Snake" thread is another example.
You can simply chose to ignore those posts. I do 95% of the time. I have found commenting here drags you into the detritus that passes as witty retorts. For doing this, I broke my own rule. Not good. Cheapens me in my mind. I will go back to the silenced intel gathering mode.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
You can simply chose to ignore those posts. I do 95% of the time. I have found commenting here drags you into the detritus that passes as witty retorts. For doing this, I broke my own rule. Not good. Cheapens me in my mind. I will go back to the silenced intel gathering mode.
I could, just as you could have...

I choose not to. My choice...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-09-2023, 11:50 AM
Send a message via AIM to flyingrise@gmail.com

Japan in 1944 launched several fire bomb balloons over the US. One killed a group a group of hikers. I think it was 4. One took out a power line in Washington state. One was found in Michigan.
An added note There was a record broke in Sailplanes recently. Over 100,000 feet!
They have been able to fly over 60,000 feet for decades.
Balloons have been used in spying for hundreds of years.
You don't need a U2 or a F 22 to get high enough to shoot it down.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Shooting down the balloon was probably limited to an F-16, F-15, F-22, or F-35. I don't believe the U2 carries missiles, it is a reconnaissance aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrise@gmail.com View Post
Japan in 1944 launched several fire bomb balloons over the US. One killed a group a group of hikers. I think it was 4. One took out a power line in Washington state. One was found in Michigan.
An added note There was a record broke in Sailplanes recently. Over 100,000 feet!
They have been able to fly over 60,000 feet for decades.
Balloons have been used in spying for hundreds of years.
You don't need a U2 or a F 22 to get high enough to shoot it down.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:27 PM
Send a message via AIM to flyingrise@gmail.com

According to the news. A U2 was deployed to get some recon on its cargo.
I bet When equipment is still in on peace it's easier to tell what is.
I do have a question. Why is the FBI involved? Possible Proud Boys, Or Antifa involvement?
Closed Thread

Tags
shot, chinese, balloon, planes, atlantic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.