Chinese Drywall

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Default Chinese Drywall

Have recently purchased a pre-owned CYV in Duvall. Have been renters for years, excited to be buyers! A lawyer friend of ours recently had an experience with a house he was about to buy in Naples. The house turned out to have Chinese Drywall which can corrode wiring, piping etc, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages. In perusing TOTV doesn't appear to be a problem here, primarily in areas affected by recent Hurricanes. My question is would a reputable Home Inspector look for and be able to identify use of Chinese Drywall as part of their inspection? And has anyone heard of the use of Chinese Drywall in the Villages?
Thank you.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't think that any Chinese drywall has been used here. At least I haven't heard about it in five years reading this forum and believe me there are some who just get all tickled if they can find ANYTHING to report negative about this place.

They know who they are.

Of course SOME of us are annoyingly positive and are chastised for THAT.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Dancing Thyme

There was some conversation on TOTV about this a few years ago, but I've never heard that this dry wall was used in TV. I've researched it and here's one of the links.
Tainted Chinese Drywall

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Sage

None of that drywall in TV that I could find out about - we checked into it a couple of years back before we bought.

I think the corrosion, etc. problems cropped up pretty quickly in any homes (elsewhere!) which had that drywall.

Bill
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Sage

My niece in Clermont had a home built in 2007-2008 time period and they had drywall from Georgia-Pacific that was manufactured in Canada. It was the same tainted (high sulfur flyash) drywall found in the Chinese drywall. A lawsuit evolved and she did get Georgia-Pacific to completely gut the house and rebuild it from the framing. It took a long time for the case to settle. Her first clue of a problem was two brand new microwaves, two brand new televisions, and a refrigerator all breaking because of corroded wiring. It took only a short time (6 months to a year) before the corrosion began taking a toll.

Yes, a licensed home inspector knows what to look for to determine if contaminated drywall is present. Mine was checked (built in 2002) when I bought in 2009. All clear!

Have not heard of contaminated drywall in The Villages but still a home inspector should include that on his list.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

I think "FaithfulFrank" is a home inspector he should know I would PM him
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM

I think if there were some of these issues here it would have popped up by now. Chinese dry wall causes problems pretty quickly..besides wiring decay you have that rotten egg smell that pretty much stands out. You can always note with your inspector you want to make sure they check for it.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Little Surprise

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 02-12-2013 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Change
Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Platinum member

when I was there for my visit, I specifically asked if it was ever used and my sales person told me it was never used in The Villages.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Little surprising the simple question of is there Chinese Drywall used here in the Villages would prompt parts of this response.

Obviously we depend on others here to alert us to problems they have encountered so we can all be aware. Slow golf play, driving problems, or restaurant problems are all on this site. I appreciate the knowlledge of past and future potential problems posted here and we are all free to form our opinion on why it was posted. Sometimes it helps us examine ourselves to see if we are part of the problem as in slow golf or driving errors. I've found there have been problems with landscapers, roofs, siding, air conditioner evaporation lines buried in the sand, and other problems that benefits us all to be aware of in case it happens to us. We would never have know about any of these had no one ever posted about them. It would also surely benefit us all to try and curb hurling jabs at others to try and make this site a more friendly site.
If the shoe fits............
Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Veteran member

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 02-12-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is no secret that I have formed the opinon that The Morse family are nice people although I have never laid eyes on them.

There are those who have reasons to think otherwise. We are all just trying to make sense of this universe and enjoy life.

My comment above was snarky and I apologize, Keep it Real, but it was not directed at you.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-17-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,392 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
If the shoe fits............
I agree.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoreboard View Post
have recently purchased a pre-owned cyv in duvall. Have been renters for years, excited to be buyers! A lawyer friend of ours recently had an experience with a house he was about to buy in naples. The house turned out to have chinese drywall which can corrode wiring, piping etc, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages. In perusing totv doesn't appear to be a problem here, primarily in areas affected by recent hurricanes. My question is would a reputable home inspector look for and be able to identify use of chinese drywall as part of their inspection? And has anyone heard of the use of chinese drywall in the villages?
Thank you.
buy american!!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmangione View Post
buy american!!!!!
As I stated in my earlier posting, my niece had the tainted "Chinese-type" drywall and all of it had been manufactured by Georgia-Pacific. It was made in Canada and sold to my niece through 84 Lumber Hardware. Sounds like they did "Buy American".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.