Chirping Smoke / CO alarms

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2022, 09:06 AM

We make a note on our calendar to replace all the batteries on January 1 every year. Never have to worry about being awaken at 2am.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:06 AM

A couple of weeks ago, I changed the 5 Alarms in my house. This Alarm was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. It is very loud: 85 decibels. It will be hard-wired to your electrical system. It will last 10 years-- and so will the back-up battery. No more batteries to change; and, no more Smoke alarms beeping in the middle of the night. I installed them myself. You may need a handyman or electrician or...

The Alarm is made by Universal Security Instruments, Inc. The Model # is AMIC 1510SC. I ordered 5 of them, direct from the company. Here's the Link to the Company's Website, and this specific model:

Sensing Plus AMIC1510SC Hardwired Combo Smoke, Fire & Carbon Monoxide Alarm - UL217 8th Edition
Old 01-17-2022, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

If you go to the brand website -"MOST" will simply say - 10 years - replace with new units.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You know when you change the batteries in your smoke detectors, you also have to drain the capacitor in it too. Take your battery out & unplug it ( hardwire) then push button until it quits squelling, it’ll only take about 3 or 4 sec. then put new battery in & plug in the hardwire. It should work then!
Old 01-17-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
On Tuesday at 2:30 AM one of my ceiling-mounted smoke and CO monitors started chirping 5 times every minute. I got a ladder and pushed the button. Two days later it repeated the event, now joined by another unit, at almost exactly the same time. Someone on this forum said replace the batteries. They are hardwired with backup batteries. I replaced them in both units. When I pushed the button they chirped then gave the five chirp salute. Ah. They recognize my effort.

This morning they started chirping again. I resisted attacking the damn things with a hammer, but did push the button to give me some rest.

I understand now that I need to replace these two as well as the other three that are chuckling away in silence waiting to torment me.

Issue is: these appear to be wired into the house current. In the electrical box there is a breaker marked low volt panel. I presume that services the alarms and the door bell.

Now, to replace these I have to climb up on a ladder, trust that my deduction about the breaker is correct, and replace these and rewire them. Or, rather, in my advanced age, hire an electrician to do this.

I assume that many of the homes in the Villages have the same system. We live in Lake Deaton.

Any suggestions before I get my hammer?
First of all, check the date on the back, if they are between 5 and 10 years old replace them. Just unplug the back and plug in the new ones. Easy. Make sure you test button all of them. You can buy them cheaply in quantity on Amazon. I paid about $10 each for First Alert brand.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
On Tuesday at 2:30 AM one of my ceiling-mounted smoke and CO monitors started chirping 5 times every minute. I got a ladder and pushed the button. Two days later it repeated the event, now joined by another unit, at almost exactly the same time. Someone on this forum said replace the batteries. They are hardwired with backup batteries. I replaced them in both units. When I pushed the button they chirped then gave the five chirp salute. Ah. They recognize my effort.

This morning they started chirping again. I resisted attacking the damn things with a hammer, but did push the button to give me some rest.

I understand now that I need to replace these two as well as the other three that are chuckling away in silence waiting to torment me.

Issue is: these appear to be wired into the house current. In the electrical box there is a breaker marked low volt panel. I presume that services the alarms and the door bell.

Now, to replace these I have to climb up on a ladder, trust that my deduction about the breaker is correct, and replace these and rewire them. Or, rather, in my advanced age, hire an electrician to do this.

I assume that many of the homes in the Villages have the same system. We live in Lake Deaton.

Any suggestions before I get my hammer?
The carbon monoxide sensors have a shorter life than the smoke detectors. You can look it up on the internet. The chirping pattern tells you whether you need to replace the battery or the whole unit. Replacing the whole unit, you do not need an electrician just A PROPER LADDER, or a hired handyman. You buy the same unit. If, I recall it is FIRST ALERT. The connector to the electrical system is a simple, The unit is secured with typical key hole slots you open the cover to the unit, slightly loosen the screws and twist the unit-it will be obvious which way it turns. If, you do it yourself, you will be done before you can find the number and dial the phone for a handyman. As we have 10 foot ceilings you want to have not a 6 foot but an 8 foot ladder. Using a 6 foot ladder is a good way to risk a trip to the hospital.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:09 AM

All the units are connected to each other. Change the batteries in all of them.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:02 PM

The sensor has gone bad. These Alarms are only good for 5 to 7 years. Simply replace it with new. Might as well replace them all now.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-US View Post
I was told the beeping is normal by geek squad, it's a calibration thing and it happens at 2am. (maybe you just noticed it?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Totally false.
I seriously believe (and ) his comment was meant to be a joke but he just didn't add a to it. Although, having dealt with "Geek Squad" one time in my life maybe not!
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
replace, chirping, button, breaker, batteries

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.