Chitty Chatty exit onto Kristine Way

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2020, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts
Default Chitty Chatty exit onto Kristine Way

Kristine Way currently is a nice 2 lane street leading from Morse Blvd. to the Rohan Rec Center and beyond to Lake Deaton Plaza. Most sections of the road are wide enough to allow for a 'turn lane' in the center of the roadway which is defined by yellow paint.

We travel this street often, as this is where we bank and grocery shop.

The original design for the plaza included a separate path for carts which is considerably off to the side. Carts currently are not allowed on the road. All that will change once the Chitty Chatty bridge is open to traffic. Carts exiting/entering the bridge will now share the same lane with all vehicles, as they do in Colony.

The northern exit ramp off the new bridge is steep, rather short and ends close to the road. It is surprising that no provision was made in the overall bridge project design to widen the roadway to allow for the safest possible exit/entry of carts onto Kristine Way...or to construct a cart crossing with stop lights (like there is in Colony) that would enable carts to continue on to use the existing cart path.

A left hand turn lane (strictly for carts), bounded with a cement berm has been constructed in the middle of Kristine Way adjacent to the entry/exit to the Chitty Chatty bridge for use by carts seeking to travel south over the bridge. My first impression upon seeing this was "whoa, this is going to be tight and dangerous, especially if you're in a cart".

There was ample uncommitted land available to widen that area of roadway or create a path across Kristine Way connecting to the existing cart path when the initial bridge design was brought forth...it's been vacant forever. Now the land has been committed to the development of medical offices. Apparently keeping the salable commercial land tact intact was more important than creating the safest possible traffic intersection for residents.

Good thing that there'll be medical professionals nearby, as there's bound to be traffic accidents at this intersection.

I'm wondering if a traffic engineer was even consulted.

To say that I'm disappointed that this design was approved is an understatement.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I noticed that also. It is a steep incline and it ends right at Kristine Way. It's possible that there will be a change to Kristine Way to address the problem. Cart drivers are going to have to be extra careful and vigilant. I've seen too many cart drivers that are totally oblivious to what is happening around them.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:16 PM

If it's like any other roadway setup, there will have to be so many accidents and/or injuries/deaths before they make adjustments or fix things to be safer and more logical. Where is the common sense and why can't these developers see beyond the ends of their noses on this stuff?? It's not like they're "new!!"
Old 08-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimgarwel12@gmail.com View Post
If it's like any other roadway setup, there will have to be so many accidents and/or injuries/deaths before they make adjustments or fix things to be safer and more logical. Where is the common sense and why can't these developers see beyond the ends of their noses on this stuff?? It's not like they're "new!!"
I think they've done pretty well so far. Curious, just how many injuries / deaths from golf carts in this area of 120,000 residents have you seen?
Old 08-09-2020, 04:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I noticed that also. It is a steep incline and it ends right at Kristine Way. It's possible that there will be a change to Kristine Way to address the problem. Cart drivers are going to have to be extra careful and vigilant. I've seen too many cart drivers that are totally oblivious to what is happening around them.

yup...this one is going to be tricky. Both cars and carts will have to be on full alert.

Some how 'some' (not all) cart drivers think that they have the right of way...come on, drive defensively, you have little protection in an accident with a car or truck...

I learned to drive defensively when I first bought a motorcycle back in the late 60's...cart drivers need to do the same.... just because you think you might be right isn't going to matter much if you land in the hospital and then in rehab for months
Old 08-09-2020, 04:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I think they've done pretty well so far. Curious, just how many injuries / deaths from golf carts in this area of 120,000 residents have you seen?

isn't one that could have been avoided too many?
Old 08-09-2020, 05:12 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,358 Times in 1,452 Posts

I would prefer to wait until everything is completed before jumping to conclusions. Getting out of Chitty Chatty in a car and turning left on to Morse/Warm Springs is a completed intersection and there will be accidents there but the fire station is nearby.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I would prefer to wait until everything is completed before jumping to conclusions. Getting out of Chitty Chatty in a car and turning left on to Morse/Warm Springs is a completed intersection and there will be accidents there but the fire station is nearby.

ya so would I...and I don't 'jump to conclusions'...however this design is an accident just waiting to happen

BTW, no one is getting out of a car after coming across Chitty Chatty...it's golf carts only, and the fire station that you refer to is quite a ways away, as is the intersection that you refer too...and it really doesn't look like the golf carts will be able to make a left hand turn anyway

but what do I know....
Old 08-09-2020, 05:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
Carts currently are not allowed on the road.
Are you sure about that? I have often seen carts driving on Christine Way.

Don't they have to drive on Christine Way to get to the gas station?
Old 08-09-2020, 06:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Are you sure about that? I have often seen carts driving on Christine Way.

Don't they have to drive on Christine Way to get to the gas station?

yes they are driving there because some folks do go to the gas station with their carts (not many options that far south to fill up)...not sure that I've ever seen any 'share the road' signage along the street...but I may have missed it. There is a 'no carts beyond this point' as you approach the round about
Old 08-09-2020, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

So many people on here have vision that extends beyond their nose right? Wait till it's completed and in use then see if there is an issue before you make judgement please.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

It looks to me that the road system in question will need to be changed and I am sure it will before golf cart traffic is using that bridge.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
So many people on here have vision that extends beyond their nose right? Wait till it's completed and in use then see if there is an issue before you make judgement please.
You need to go there yourself and check it out, you will see that there isn't much that can be done. If there is a lot of cart traffic carts are going to have to stop on the ramp while the intersection clears.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
Kristine Way currently is a nice 2 lane street leading from Morse Blvd. to the Rohan Rec Center and beyond to Lake Deaton Plaza. Most sections of the road are wide enough to allow for a 'turn lane' in the center of the roadway which is defined by yellow paint.

We travel this street often, as this is where we bank and grocery shop.

The original design for the plaza included a separate path for carts which is considerably off to the side. Carts currently are not allowed on the road. All that will change once the Chitty Chatty bridge is open to traffic. Carts exiting/entering the bridge will now share the same lane with all vehicles, as they do in Colony.

The northern exit ramp off the new bridge is steep, rather short and ends close to the road. It is surprising that no provision was made in the overall bridge project design to widen the roadway to allow for the safest possible exit/entry of carts onto Kristine Way...or to construct a cart crossing with stop lights (like there is in Colony) that would enable carts to continue on to use the existing cart path.

A left hand turn lane (strictly for carts), bounded with a cement berm has been constructed in the middle of Kristine Way adjacent to the entry/exit to the Chitty Chatty bridge for use by carts seeking to travel south over the bridge. My first impression upon seeing this was "whoa, this is going to be tight and dangerous, especially if you're in a cart".

There was ample uncommitted land available to widen that area of roadway or create a path across Kristine Way connecting to the existing cart path when the initial bridge design was brought forth...it's been vacant forever. Now the land has been committed to the development of medical offices. Apparently keeping the salable commercial land tact intact was more important than creating the safest possible traffic intersection for residents.

Good thing that there'll be medical professionals nearby, as there's bound to be traffic accidents at this intersection.

I'm wondering if a traffic engineer was even consulted.

To say that I'm disappointed that this design was approved is an understatement.

Now that’s funny right there, I don’t care who you are. Perhaps they could restrict Kristine way to golf cart traffic only. Cars could come and go using the 44 entrance. Then safety would be perfect.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:21 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Now that’s funny right there, I don’t care who you are. Perhaps they could restrict Kristine way to golf cart traffic only. Cars could come and go using the 44 entrance. Then safety would be perfect.
Only kidding folks. I have lived all over the world and The Villages is the safest community I have ever lived in. I am amazed at how many complainers there are here, YET LIVE HERE. Complaining is a side effect of getting older, but if you work on it, you can keep it too yourself.
Closed Thread

Tags
bridge, carts, kristine, traffic, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.