Church

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2021, 05:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am interested in what the purpose of a non denominational church is? I have never been in one. Is it vague Christian ideas, or broad across the world spiritual thinking? Or investigation of various theories? If it’s just to be with people, I prefer the neighborhood pool myself.
Here is an excellent description of the non-denominational spiritual philosophy I follow. Not sure if the OP was looking for this or non-denominational "Christian," which, by definition, would be less broad-based. If the former, as I mentioned earlier, Unity in Fruitland Park follows this discipline.

New Thought - Wikipedia
Old 04-05-2021, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Here is an excellent description of the non-denominational spiritual philosophy I follow. Not sure if the OP was looking for this or non-denominational "Christian," which, by definition, would be less broad-based. If the former, as I mentioned earlier, Unity in Fruitland Park follows this discipline.

New Thought - Wikipedia
Thank you.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:42 AM

Friendly active Church We have PB groups 2 days a week! Come check it out!
Old 04-06-2021, 11:53 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,774 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Bolen View Post
I am not Catholic, but my family members who are Catholic would see no need for anyone to declare the Catholic church to NOT be a denomination for this reason:

In the Christian Greek Scriptures ("New" Testament), Acts Chapter 15 identifies Jerusalem as the "headquarters" (as it were) where Jesus' Apostles and other mature Christians would be contacted for decision-making affecting all the congregations (in this case, the circumcision issue). Years later, after the Apostles had all perished, various circumstances led to Constantine's attempt to establish Christianity in Rome as a uniting force (with various councils meeting to agree upon what would become official doctrines and creeds of the church that would be referred to as "Catholic" (which translates to "respect of the whole" or "universal")).
Because between the time period of the former and the latter, there is no record of a large and dominant Christian organization, the Church as it was set up in Rome is viewed by the Catholics in my family to be directly descended from the original practice of Christianity as recorded in the four Gospel accounts and further organized into congregations throughout the region after Jesus' sacrificial death and resurrection as shown in the various New Testament epistles. They therefore view it as the original Church, which would make it NOT a denomination, so there would be no need to have that declared by anyone. Only those who do not believe it to be the original Church would refer to it as a "denomination."
While I personally believe that substantive changes took place between what was established in Jerusalem and what was established in Rome, I admire Gracie Girl for sharing and defending her faith (shown to be a Christian practice throughout the New Testament) while avoiding participation in dialogue that could turn argumentative and subject this thread to a quick dele.

Thank you ! Nice to have some dialogue of value on here, not just senseless arguments and one "upsmanship" remarks. I tend to also believe your reference about the substantive changes probably having taken place from the Jerusalem roots and Rome since the Roman Empire's domination of the known "western" world really sealed the intersection of religion and politics ! Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Another Option Denominational

There is a religion which is "Interfaith". It is truly a non-denominational faith option. It is quite unique as that it does not have a "central denominational authority", e.g Catholics, Methodist's, Baptist's, etc. The church is totally autonomous and stand alone. At one of their services you may see people who are in every religion or none, including a Minister or Priest etc. I am not sure if there are any in or near The Villages? I was invited to one of their services in New York City and it was truly inspirational. As an example a person who believes in a "higher power" but does not relate to an Organized Church may attend their service. Just another option to non denominational.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:13 PM

Years ago when my children were young, we had friends that also one was Jewish and the other Catholic. It was a unitarian church and recognized ALL religions. We went for a bit, but it wasnt for us. But, thats what Irishgirl might be looking for.
Closed Thread

Tags
church, recommend, non-denominational

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.