Clarification on Property Taxes.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:04 AM
Default Clarification on Property Taxes.

We will be looking in the Villages this fall. I want to clarify the tax differences in locations.
Besides the 3 counties in the Villages, I understand that you would be paying property taxes in another city if your home falls inside the other cities borders.

Do we pay ONE or the OTHER or pay both Villages & the other City Taxes.

And is it correct that after 65 yrs old, after one year I can apply for homestead exemption - making 50K of our home value NON taxable.

Thanks for your time;
Will
Old 05-09-2024, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
We will be looking in the Villages this fall. I want to clarify the tax differences in locations.
Besides the 3 counties in the Villages, I understand that you would be paying property taxes in another city if your home falls inside the other cities borders.

And is it correct that after 65 yrs old, after one year I can apply for homestead exemption - making 50K of our home value NON taxable.

Thanks for your time;
Will
There is no Villages tax, just the county tax and city tax. You always pay county tax. If your home happens to be within an incorporated area then you would ALSO pay city tax.

Every home is eligible for the homestead exemption if you live there full time; there is no age limit for this. If you are older (perhaps 65, I don't qualify yet) then there may be another exemption you can take. Google Sumter County Florida Property Tax to find a page with good information.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-09-2024, 09:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you have not go to the county sites to review the taxes.
Yes you pay all the different taxes for the area you are living in. Utilities available and rates also vary withing a county or city in some cases.
Be careful if you are buying an older home. Refigure the taxes on what you are paying and not what they are paying as the law gives home owners various tax breaks.
You can qualify for the homestead exemption the year you are living full time in the home on Jan 1st as I recall. Since the taxes are generally billed at the end of the prior year you will have a number of months that you do not get the benefit of the deduction.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There is no Villages tax, just the county tax and city tax. You always pay county tax. If your home happens to be within an incorporated area then you would ALSO pay city tax.

Every home is eligible for the homestead exemption if you live there full time; there is no age limit for this. If you are older (perhaps 65, I don't qualify yet) then there may be another exemption you can take. Google Sumter County Florida Property Tax to find a page with good information.
Actually, there is a separate "Villages" tax on your annual property tax bill, which is the annual maintenance for your particular unit. It is not based upon your property valuation, but is calculated annually based upon your unit's share of your district's annual maintenance. It tends to run between $500-$1000 annually.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Thanks for your time;
Will
Realtor Robyn Cavallaro did an excellent YouTube video on this subject.

Title of video: cheapest area to live in the Villages

I tried to upload onto this thread but was unable.

Once you watch the video, you will no longer be confused.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:35 AM

Here's a list of the property tax exemptions for Lake County. Exemptions - Lake County Property Appraiser

Each county will have different exemptions and potentially different amounts.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,880 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post

The over-65 exemption only applies to those who meet certain low income requirements.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,352 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Realtor Robyn Cavallaro did an excellent YouTube video on this subject.

Title of video: cheapest area to live in the Villages

I tried to upload onto this thread but was unable.

Once you watch the video, you will no longer be confused.
I think this is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl1OtA0Wsdk
Old 05-10-2024, 07:15 AM
Default Homestead exemption is income-based

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The over-65 exemption only applies to those who meet certain low income requirements.
Agree unless Florida is different from other states. In Ohio, the exemption is based on gross income, not just earned income. As a result, if you are drawing from pensions, retirement funds, you will likely NOT qualify for homestead exemptions....maybe Florida is different?
Old 05-10-2024, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Agree unless Florida is different from other states. In Ohio, the exemption is based on gross income, not just earned income. As a result, if you are drawing from pensions, retirement funds, you will likely NOT qualify for homestead exemptions....maybe Florida is different?
In Florida, all homeowners can qualify for the standard homestead exemption. But:

"In order to qualify for the Low-Income Senior Exemption for 2024, an applicant must be 65 or older as of January 1, 2024, receive the Homestead Exemption on the property, AND have a combined household adjusted gross income for 2023 not exceeding $36,614 (note: this adjusted gross income limitation number is adjusted annually in January to reflect the percentage change in the average cost of living index)."
Old 05-10-2024, 07:33 AM
Default Tax

I would not decide by taxes but by quick cart access to what you will want to do. That probably means preowned above hwy 44
Old 05-10-2024, 09:17 AM
Default I agree... however..

Location Location Location...I am a man of conveniences & dont want to spend an hour on a cart just to get a donut. So I agree with that point.
BUT....... I just can not find an answer to what I feel is a simple question.

Depending on WHERE the home is...I would be paying property taxes, but say I buy a home in the Villages, but also falls in fruitland Park city footprint would I be paying property taxes to the Villages AND to Fruitland Park ? If I bought a home up in Sumter county that is not inside any other city limits, I would only be paying property taxes only to the Villages. To me, paying DOUBLE the taxes would be a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
I would not decide by taxes but by quick cart access to what you will want to do. That probably means preowned above hwy 44
Old 05-10-2024, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Location Location Location...I am a man of conveniences & dont want to spend an hour on a cart just to get a donut. So I agree with that point.

Depending on WHERE the home is...I would be paying property taxes, but say I buy a home in the Villages, but also falls in fruitland Park city footprint would I be paying property taxes to the Villages AND to Fruitland Park ? If I bought a home up in Sumter county that is not inside any other city limits, I would only be paying property taxes only to the Villages. To me, paying DOUBLE the taxes would be a big deal.
Technically, there are no "property taxes" charged by The Villages. Property taxes are paid to the county and to the city, if your house is located within a city.

Your tax bill is divided into two sections, the ad valorem section and the non-ad valorem section. The ad valorem (based on value) section are your property taxes paid to the county and to the city. The non-ad valorem section are assessments that are collected by the county for convenience purposes only, but the funds go to others.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-10-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:

Regardless of where you buy, you will NOT pay property taxes to the Villages. The Villages collects NO tax at all. In most (all?) areas you WILL pay a maintenance fee to your CDD however, this is NOT a property tax and the CDD is NOT the Villages.

As for property taxes, as I stated above, you will pay property taxes to the county your home is in (Sumter, Lake, or Marion). If your home is in one of the incorporated areas such as Fruitland Park, Wildwood, or Leesburg then you will ALSO pay property tax to that city. In the case of Fruitland Park you would pay property tax to both Lake County and the city of Fruitland Park. It really is that simple.

The next question is what services do you receive from the city you might pay taxes to? There have been multiple threads on that topic with no clear answer.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-10-2024, 09:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,134 Times in 561 Posts
Default Taxes

Annually fees can range from fairly low to over 10,000 per year excluding amenities. If you live in an unincorporated area you don’t pay the city tax portion that can be around 1000 on up per year all new locations have been drawn into paying the city taxes of Wildwood or Leesburg.

Inclusive in the annual taxes fees payment are county and school taxes along with a fire assessment fee.

Bonds can be a part of the annual bill, but they are going way up! This fee is calculated at the time of closing to pay for infrastructure like sewer, fire stations, water etc. Roads and bridges are paid for indirectly by the county now. Initial burdens are borne by the developer till reimbursement from the county, the last payment was 50 million for southern Oaks area to the Developer https://www.**************.com/2020/...outhern-oaks/# . In a way you pay for those twice through bond and as taxpayers to the county.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Normal; 05-10-2024 at 10:05 AM.

Tags
taxes, villages, city, home, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.