Clark Barrios

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Veteran member

Whoa! I don't think so many people here in TV have horrible taste in music! Again, taste in music is an opinion, and there is enough good and not so good music to go around to allow for many different opinions.
All that negative energy can't be healthy!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Default Negative energy

Two wrongs do not make a right. You are wrong about the bad taste in music and you are also wrong about the negative energy.it really invigorates me in my never ending batlle against the lack of common sense in this world
Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Default clark barrios & music in general

Just spent a week in TV with some girlfriends and I'm looking forward to getting back in Sept. Hubby and I will be living there full-time! I have to say that Clark Barrios and his various groups are always entertaining and one of our favorite groups. We always try to go to the squares when they are performing, and there are several other groups we also enjoy. I think it's good that the music is getting a bit more diverse. Growing up in the 60s, I feel we had the best music, but I also enjoyed the music of other decades. Since some younger retirees are moving into TV, they naturally will want to hear the music they grew up with also. As long as we keep getting wonderful music & entertainment at the squares, no matter the decade, I will keep loving it!

Cynthia, class of 1967
Muscatine, Iowa City and Newton, IA; Belmont, Sunnyvale & San Bernardino, CA; Biloxi, MS; Cleveland TN & The Villages
Old 08-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

"Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." - Homer Simpson
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Default Clark Barrios

I think Clark has a great voice. We just saw him last night with the Villages Philharmonic, Tops of the Pops. He sang "Bring Him Home" and it was TERRIFIC. In my opinion there was too much Oscar and not enough Clark at the performance.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,388 Posts

he is in the Vesco band and Vesco and his wife own the entertainment business here in TV.....it helps to have connections....eh?

btk
Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Variety is the spice of life! With the age groups getting a lil younger ( has to happen, law of physics, sorry guys! LOL) the entertainment dept has to keep up with the times. Just like a 75 yr old may not want to hear an 80's band, a 60 year old may love it! In my opinion, with 3 squares, the entertainment dept should strive hard to find something for everybody. The great thing is, if you don't like the entertainment at one square, you have two others to choose from! But I will say that if you look at the crowds, the actual bands ( not one person with a sound machine, which is honestly just karaoke ) tend to draw more crowds...
Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

QUOTE=wlou;630775]Variety is the spice of life! With the age groups getting a lil younger ( has to happen, law of physics, sorry guys! LOL) the entertainment dept has to keep up with the times. Just like a 75 yr old may not want to hear an 80's band, a 60 year old may love it! In my opinion, with 3 squares, the entertainment dept should strive hard to find something for everybody. The great thing is, if you don't like the entertainment at one square, you have two others to choose from! But I will say that if you look at the crowds, the actual bands ( not one person with a sound machine, which is honestly just karaoke ) tend to draw more crowds...[/QUOTE]

I agree. The ages here are VERY diverse. I grew up with the music of the 50's and 60's but love hearing some music from each decade and yes, even Lady GaGa. Let's not get stuck in a time warp! I love Clark's various groups and it could be that finding reasonably priced groups in this part of central Florida might not be an easy task. And do you think many groups looking to be "Discovered" will want to play in a retirement community? We are the wrong demographic. If you know of some group that you would liked to hear, I'm sure your suggestions would be welcomed.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDMRAE View Post
wow i just read some of the other quotes on this thread. I did not realize that so many people in the villages have such horrible taste in music.no wonder somebody hired that incompetent programming director at the radio station. It used to be that the villages radio station stood for something. I thought when i came here it's programming was the music of the 50s & early 60s because it was about a carefree period just like life in the villages is supposed to be about. Now the station plays a mish mash of crap so that it sounds like just about any old radio station in the country. This new programming director mr george rudolph i think has destroyed it. It stands for nothing now.wise up and go back to the old 50s &60s format. We can get what we are hearing now just about any where on the dial.he needs to change his ways or be replaced. i find myself switching to an fm station when they play some of those awful 70s 80s crap. everyone knows that there probably were less than 20 good songs in the 70s. i really don't think there where any after that. what i shame that generations of kids grow up with no decent music like we had in 50s and 60s. no wonder they are turning out so lousy.
Please. The radio station, along with all other media/broadcasters anywhere, have a target audience of advertisers' BUYERS. The Villages sells homes, new and used, and even after the new construction ends in a couple of years, TV will still have the bulk of pre-owned home sales, that they advertise by radio and the other media they own here.

The music on the radio station has increasingly played a little more 1970's and other styles. Let's face it.....people who retired in the 1950's aren't looking for a home to buy here, especially if they're dead.

But people who acquired their taste for pop music in the 1970's ARE here buying homes and loving life and listening to the radio as they look for their dream home away from the horrible winter going on right now in other places in the USA.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Isn't he that Gong Show dude?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM

The Clark Barrios Band played on Tuesday night at LSL. We, the line dancers, thought they were better than usual. I told Clark how well they sounded and he said they are really coming together as a group after playing together and working it out. I dare say they are the one of the best bands out there. For Country I really like the Dan Story Band and can see them drawing in a crowd as they get better known. I'm looking forward to seeing them next week at SS.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
Isn't he that Gong Show dude?

That's sooooo funny because that is who I think of everytime I hear his name. I do get a little confused sometimes cuz I used to think Ru Paul ( the female impersonator ) was running for President but later discovered it was Ron Paul.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
We think he is one of the best that entertain in TV. We like that he does more recent cover songs.
I agree
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,945 Posts

I haven't heard all the bands that TV has in the town squares but I'm wondering if there is any band who plays Beach Boys songs. The Beach Boys rose to fame in the 60's so I would think that music would be popular with TV demographic.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran member

I have it on good authority that not only does he not pick up after his dog, he never ever stops at stop signs while ridding his bike, changes lanes like a manic in the roundabouts and (crime of crimes) has been known to save massive amounts of chairs at the squares. ;-)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.