Clear face shields ineffective for COVID

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2020, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky1 View Post
A face shield protects you from my droplets and me from your droplets. Be thankful that we are at least trying and others don’t even try.
I don't spit on people, so you have nothing to worry about. And I try to stay away from folks that spit a lot. Glad you are wearing a shield if you have a tendency to spit a lot around people.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:50 AM

So true. This has also kept me away from some activities. Sad
Old 10-27-2020, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I don't spit on people, so you have nothing to worry about. And I try to stay away from folks that spit a lot. Glad you are wearing a shield if you have a tendency to spit a lot around people.
Skunky is referring to “respiratory droplets” that are expelled when we sneeze, cough, talk or sing. But I think you know that.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Not sure if you read the paper but this was not peer-reviewed and was removed from researchgate.net by the editors. Here is what they said when it was removed:

“[O]ur Terms of Service prohibit the posting of non-scientific content on the platform. Given its questionable scientific basis and controversial subject matter, the content you posted is a violation of our Terms.”

In a subsequent message to the author they further explained their decision to remove the content:

“However, if we have any reason to believe that content on our platform has the potential to cause harm, then we reserve the right to remove it. In this case, your report was advocating that face masks are not effective and, in effect, discouraging their use. This goes against the public health advice and/or requirements of credible agencies and governments. As content which did not appear to have undergone quality control processes by the scientific community, but which was broadly linked to from a variety of social media accounts, we thought it had the potential to cause harm.

Sorry, just because something is written and posted on the internet does not make it peer-reviewed.
I don't care who it is from, especially if it's from the government, and I'll consider it bogus until I do a bit of research on it.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Skunky is referring to “respiratory droplets” that are expelled when we sneeze, cough, talk or sing. But I think you know that.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:48 AM

So sick of hearing and reading comments condemning others for not wearing masks. Did none of you read the recent statement by the CDC where they admitted that 84% of those who tested positive for Covid 19 wore a mask most of the time (14%) or ALL the time (70%)! What does that tell you???? If a doctor offered you two drugs for cancer treatment and one had an 84% probability of causing serious side effects and tge other only 16%, which one would you take. We, who are part of tge 16% believe masks do more harm than good. How often do you touch them after touching something else? How often do you wash them? Wearing a mask forces you to breathe in your own carbon dioxide which can cause pleurisy and severely damage your immune system, making you more susceptible to the virus. So wear a mask if you must. I will pass and continue to put up with tge verbal abuse of those who actually believe that a mask works.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
Wearing a mask forces you to breathe in your own carbon dioxide which can cause pleurisy and severely damage your immune system, making you more susceptible to the virus.
That’s pretty alarming. Do you have a source for that?

Can mask wearing lead to or cause pleurisy? | Covid-19 Expert Database
Old 10-28-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
I saw a woman in the market who had a face shield on and had a sticker that said "my mask protects you and your mask protects me". I felt like telling her she wasn't protecting anyone but didn't want to start an argument.
I saw a Walmart employee wearing a shield and across the top piece was written, "Please stay 6 ft. away"! I also saw a man walking in the square with the same kind of face shield. The message written across the top of it: "Get 6 ft. away from me". Really? Again, a chance for already angry people to dump their anger onto others, sad.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
So sick of hearing and reading comments condemning others for not wearing masks. Did none of you read the recent statement by the CDC where they admitted that 84% of those who tested positive for Covid 19 wore a mask most of the time (14%) or ALL the time (70%)! What does that tell you???? If a doctor offered you two drugs for cancer treatment and one had an 84% probability of causing serious side effects and tge other only 16%, which one would you take. We, who are part of tge 16% believe masks do more harm than good. How often do you touch them after touching something else? How often do you wash them? Wearing a mask forces you to breathe in your own carbon dioxide which can cause pleurisy and severely damage your immune system, making you more susceptible to the virus. So wear a mask if you must. I will pass and continue to put up with tge verbal abuse of those who actually believe that a mask works.
That tells me that not enough people are wearing masks so they are protecting the people around them. Wearing the mask is not nearly as protective if the people around you do not wear masks. If everyone around you wears a mask, THAT is when it is protective to everyone.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
NOT TRUE.......

Does Wearing a Face Mask Reduce Oxygen—and Can It Increase CO2 Levels? Here'''s What Experts Say | Health.com
Old 11-02-2020, 06:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
That’s pretty alarming. Do you have a source for that?

Can mask wearing lead to or cause pleurisy? | Covid-19 Expert Database
Anti-maskers will resort to all sorts of excuses for not covering their faces, non of which are valid. They refuse to do their part to slow the spread of this virus and I have no respect for any of them.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
I saw a Walmart employee wearing a shield and across the top piece was written, "Please stay 6 ft. away"! I also saw a man walking in the square with the same kind of face shield. The message written across the top of it: "Get 6 ft. away from me". Really? Again, a chance for already angry people to dump their anger onto others, sad.
Personally, I would not wear that message anywhere on my person. Having said that, I see nothing wrong with reminding people to socially distance. There are too many people out there that forget we are in the middle of a pandemic with no vaccine at this point. There are too many people who do not respect others who are trying to live their lives the best way they can while doing it safely.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post
I see so many people wearing only a clear face shield at indoor events (church, shopping, rec center events) where masks are required. These shields are useless to protect anyone--neither the wearer nor the other attendees are helped by these shields. They are designed to be worn in combination with a mask. Are people wearing them only to comply with regulations? Or are they misinformed into thinking that they are safe?

I am saddened to think that I will no longer attend these events because of the actions of a few others. I cannot risk bringing COVID home to my family.
Some people can't wear mask so they try to do there part. But like always you have those who complain bout everything
Old 11-02-2020, 08:45 AM

That is true.... People are getting bad headaches.My niece works in a restaurant an has to have one on for 10 hrs. She has to run an hind so she can pull her mask off to get air.An having really bad headaches her Dr said she needs to get fresh air at least every 30 minutes or so. So which medical advice to you believe? What media say or what your Dr says?
Old 11-02-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky1 View Post
Coronavirus in the villages-Our bocce group has been playing bocce for several months now with from 16 to 24 players. Last week we were notified by one of the players that they tested positive for coronavirus. It is real. It is here. All play was conducted according to CDC guidelines.
If they are testing for coronavirus, then yes they maybe positive. Coronavirus is a common cold. All you have to do is research. Now Covid is something else. Alot of people test positive to Corina cause it's just a cold. Doesn't mean you have Covid
Closed Thread

Tags
events, shields, clear, people, wearing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.